• March 28, 2024, 04:24:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How popular is DNS-323?  (Read 6887 times)

fmenard123

• Level 1 Member
How popular is DNS-323?
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

I thought I was pretty cool with my DNS-323 until I showed up in the IT department of a nearby municipality and I saw an army of DNS-323's all over the place ( I counted 6 within my eyesight).

He reported paying them $179 CDN nowadays without the drives.

The sysadmin over there was complaining about the lack of integration with Active Directory....

No wonder...

How many DNS-323 has D-Link shipped to this date?

-=Francois=-

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: How popular is DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »

The sysadmin over there was complaining about the lack of integration with Active Directory....

For crying out loud - the thing is meant for SOHO use.

OK - seriously - I'd love to see AD integration, but I think the IT department of a "municipality" could probably afford something a little more business oriented.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »

and knowing its a local government, they could have done research prior to the purchasing

i agree with fordem

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »

Well I hate to jump on a bandwagon but that is completely inappropriate usage.  If you have an AD go for a real business storage product.  That said I think it is a testament that the product is in a large deployment with that as the only complaint.

As far as number of units shipped, I haven't the foggiest, nor do I know where I would get that information.  I suspect the best I will be able to do is answer "a lot".

Thanks for the story.
non progredi est regredi

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »

...If you have an AD go for a real business storage product....

So, what's preventing D-Link from including AD integration for the DNS-323?

Samba v3.x (in FWv1.04) already has AD support. Creating a web page option that would
modify the 'smb.conf' to include 'security = domain' and provide the 'net join' utility
to create the secrets.tbd file is all it would take (I believe) to achieve AD integration.

I imagine this enhancement would place a greater burden on you testing and QA procedures,
but AD integration would open up a whole new market for the DNS-323.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »

I'm not the one who makes such calls but if I was I wouldn't add it as it is a useless feature in the target market for this device.  This device is not built to handle a corporate network and it's associated traffic.  This device is missing features and abilities besides AD integration that would keep me from putting it on any corporate network.
non progredi est regredi

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »

O.K. I understand.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »

Fatman

I beg to differ - out here in the third world you will find small businesses with perhaps 5~6 employees and a network built around a Windows domain.

Still - it is features like this that are used to differentiate the business product from the consumer product - so it's going to be a management decision.  :(
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ducktape

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »

For one, I will vote with my wallet and purchase more DNS-323 if it include better user/group security access and better files/folders management.

I know of several non profit organisation (i.e. more than 10) that require secure access but don't have the budget for a windows 2003 server package.

So how important is that to the marketing department and to D-Link.

I will let them answer this question because there answer will directly affect my future equipment purchase.

Ducktape
linformatique@ducktape.biz