• March 28, 2024, 12:12:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: DNS-323 - Firmware v1.10 (Official Release) Comments & Observations  (Read 140606 times)

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

D-Llink published firmware version 1.10 official release.
Post your comments and observations!   :)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Biscotte

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-323 - Firmware v1.10 (Official Release) Comments & Observations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »

Date is 5 Jan 2012
It is exactly the same size as the 1.10b7 file
Release notes dont go past 1.10b7

Looks to be identical to the previous BETA that has been around for ages

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:08 AM »

Agreed. A major let down. After all this time, releasing the beta as an official release without a single code change is a disappointment as it would seem to signify that no further development will be done. I'm usually not this negative..... although I must add that there are no issues that actually affect me right now anyway.

At least I feel ever so slightly better that I am using a 'real' release rather than a 'beta' but I think I will stick to using v1.10 just for formatting and v1.09 for regular usage. My 3 units haven't been rebooted for over 5 months and are as solid as ever and they are in constant use. I don't use any of the applications, just pure network share/storage.

3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:38 AM »

Agreed. A major let down. After all this time, releasing the beta as an official release without a single code change is a disappointment as it would seem to signify that no further development will be done. I'm usually not this negative..... although I must add that there are no issues that actually affect me right now anyway.

The promotion of beta firmware to official release status without any changes is not unique to the DNS-323 or EOL products. D-Link follows the same release routine with the (relatively) new DNS-320 and DNS-325.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Biscotte

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

Yes, I too am deeply disappointed. 

For the number of 'please fix' posts made it is surprising DLink have not taken even one of the comments and expectation of fixes about this 1.10 beta firmware.
I have used this beta firmware, but like many others have taken it off - unreliable and unexpected hanging / locking up in my and other people's case.
There are many instances of users, like myself, who format ears drives with 1.10 and then revert to stable 1.08 or stable 1.09. 

Oh well, end of an era.  Thanks to everyone who has made this site helpful to amateurs like me.  The likes of jamieburchell, dosborne and fordem (to name but three) have provided professional approach and who clearly have no allegiances, have always provided sound technical and practical advice, and made this forum really worthwhile – thank you all. 

Biscotte

MJBURNS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »

Yes, I too am deeply disappointed.  

For the number of 'please fix' posts made it is surprising DLink have not taken even one of the comments and expectation of fixes about this 1.10 beta firmware.
I have used this beta firmware, but like many others have taken it off - unreliable and unexpected hanging / locking up in my and other people's case.
There are many instances of users, like myself, who format ears drives with 1.10 and then revert to stable 1.08 or stable 1.09.  

Oh well, end of an era.  Thanks to everyone who has made this site helpful to amateurs like me.  The likes of jamieburchell, dosborne and fordem (to name but three) have provided professional approach and who clearly have no allegiances, have always provided sound technical and practical advice, and made this forum really worthwhile – thank you all.  

Biscotte

Agreed. I am about to start testing Alt-F ( http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/ ) simply because the D-Link firmware for the DNS-323 is still missing basic functionality that other NAS systems I run have, like hanging a backup drive on the USB port and letting the NAS back itself up. Or fixing the FTP server, which is STILL broken after all of these years in it's inability to support an encrypted data channel (always drops back to a clear channel). And yet D-Link wasted time on garbage like "iTune Servers".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:50:27 AM by MJBURNS »

Flamingfarts

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »

>:(that's it guys this 323 is officially a dead product .. releasing a beta to a official firmware without any changes is a clear move that they do not want to care anymore. They could have at least removed the things that do not work like the e-mail alerts with ssl/tsl encryption , time sync and so many other basic things.

Stores still have plenty of 323 brand new in boxes and others poor souls are going to be ripped off like me with a half baked product.

this it was i think about the ( official )1.10 Beta Build 08

jack321

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »

Hi all,

Did I understand correctly that firmware 1.10 is released as beta with known problems?

Does firmware 1.10 have any new features?

I tried reading the txt file but it's all a mess! :(

I use my DNS-323 for backup file storage and occasionally stream videos with UpnP. Should I update or keep at 1.09?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:00:48 PM by jack321 »

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »

Does firmware 1.10 have any new features?
Over and above 1.10b7, no. I have compared the two firmware files at a binary level and they are identical, and others have reported the same.

I tried reading the txt file but it's all a mess! :(
If you are using a program on Windows to read it then you will need one that understands *nix-style line ends (which have a LF not a CR/LF pair). I'd like to recommend one but the editor that I use (Kedit for Windows) which accepts either style of line end is a commercial product that is a bit too rich just to read a single data file :)

Should I update or keep at 1.09?
FWIW I've been running 1.10b5 since a few days after I bought my unit nine months or so ago (when I discovered the problem with AFT drives) without any issue, but I only use the NAS as a storage device.
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

MRPiGoiL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

Shoot, so D-Link finally done building on this product?  I was hoping for one final firmware release to have it work with Apple Time Machine OS X Lion (10.7).  Does it work with the new AFP in Lion?

Well, I don't blame them, I mean, this product has been out a number of years now.  They're a hardware company and not software company, so instead of selling firmware/software upgrades to existing hardware, they need to EOL products so loyal customers upgrade to the newer products (i.e. DNS-325 replacement).

Problem is, there are so many options out there that I don't know if DNS-325 is the best option or time to venture to something else... anyway, that's another topic.

jack321

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »

Over and above 1.10b7, no. I have compared the two firmware files at a binary level and they are identical, and others have reported the same.
If you are using a program on Windows to read it then you will need one that understands *nix-style line ends (which have a LF not a CR/LF pair). I'd like to recommend one but the editor that I use (Kedit for Windows) which accepts either style of line end is a commercial product that is a bit too rich just to read a single data file :)
FWIW I've been running 1.10b5 since a few days after I bought my unit nine months or so ago (when I discovered the problem with AFT drives) without any issue, but I only use the NAS as a storage device.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if there is any new feature in 1.10 versus 1.09.

I downloaded the demo of Kedit and opened the file, it is more readable, but I'm not comprehending what was modified.

My concern is some of you mentioned that 1.10 hangs and other problems. I'm thinking just to update it since it's probably the final update for this device; if I run into any problems, can I easily downgrade?

Also the only reason I am even considering to update is sometimes UpnP streaming stops for some reason and have to start over, I'm hoping this version finally fixes that.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »

The are numerous post in the Beta area on the enhancements http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=251.0
Most people want it for AFT drive support. Many, myself included, then roll back to v1.09 for stability after the drives have been formatted. I can't say first hand that v1.10 is unstable or not though as I didn't run it long enough to find out, since at the time it way only a Beta.

It is still a good box for basic/specific purposes. If it does go on sale so that vendors can get rid of stock, I'd consider buying one or two more as for what I need it to do, it works just fine. I've fixed a couple of issues that bothered me (Date/time, torrent for example) by installing FFP, since this is the only way to enhance the product now.

Unlikely I will need or want the other functions (itunes, etc) but if I did I'd surely want bigger hardware in the newer models. Personally, I want my NAS to be JUST that, I couldn't care less if it did anything else, although I must say I'm used to the having it handle my torrents now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:58:48 PM by dosborne »
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

mn283

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »

D-Llink published firmware version 1.10 official release.
Post your comments and observations!   :)

How come the UK does not seem to have it yet ?
http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=TechSupport_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=1197319419183&p=1197318962293&packedargs=QuickLinksParentID%3D1197319419183%26locale%3D1195806691854%26packedargs%3Df9ffeaf4e83ab6d0166b8cc93b23ebbc3d83540f46ceb58f26706558f9479c4ec3df1411a95e2d40b8161bf516969212f4b253493c501653965d4b39148b4c34&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

jgrabowski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »

I still can't use the DNS 323 as a time machine server in OS Lion.

jafferyk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

Even with this firmware, I am still having to manually refresh the content on the Upnp server portion.  it won't auto refresh. Has anyone solved this issue yet?  Thank you in advance :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5