• March 28, 2024, 04:35:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: QoS for XBOX 360 Media Extender  (Read 13904 times)

woodsptw

• Level 1 Member
QoS for XBOX 360 Media Extender
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:17:38 AM »

I'm looking for some assistance on configuring the QoS on the Dir-655. 

I have a Media Center PC Wireless (802.11g) to the router.
My XBOX 360 is hard wired to the router.

Zune is working to the XBox. Media Center is configured and I can manage through the menus and start to play TV but then I just get audio.  The screen goes blue and says "Digital Audio Service".

On the DLINK DIR-655 WISH is checked for HTTP, Media Center (and I've turned Automatic on and off with no noticable effect).
QOS engine and all it's options are on.

So... is there something I can configure in the router's QoS settings to ensure I'm giving priority to the Media Center stream through the router to the XBOX??

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

CrunchyDoodle

• Level 1 Member
Re: QoS for XBOX 360 Media Extender
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »

I can tell you what I did for my five ReplayTV boxes and the server that they work with. I set the DHCP server in the DIR-655 to give particular IP addresses to these devices by recognizing their MAC addresses. I then set the WISH server to give VI (video) priority to this range of addresess when they are talking to each other. I'm not sure it really helps, though streaming among these devices is generally good.

Bye.      8)

woodsptw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

On QoS, I'd be interested in what you put in local and remote for the IP. Let's say the XBox is 192.168.0.199 and the PC is 192.168.0.168.

On the QoS do you set the local 192.168.0.199 to 192.168.0.199 and leave the Remote at 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255?  Local and remote ports wide open 0 to 65535 and Any protocol.  Does that sound right? I'm wondering - why I need a "remote" IP since this is all on the LAN.  That is I'm trying to open up and prioritize the XBOX to PC Video over the Wireless. When I try to leave the REMOTE blank or insert a LAN address - it does not let me.

For WISH I set the protocol to VI (Video) 
On the Host 1 IP Range - I set both entries to the PC's IP address; 192.168.0.168 to 192.168.0.168
On Host 2 IP Port Range - I set both entries to the XBOX IP address; 192.168.0.199 to 192.168.0.199.

Is this correct or am I missing something regarding how either QoS or WISH work??

If so - it might help to specify the particular protocol (or ports) specific for the video that Media Center uses. 

I'm not sure if I'm undoing or overdoing what is already set up by selecting "Windows Media Center" in WISH settings and enabling the QoS engine.

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »

Unless I am mistaken the QoS (not the WISH, but the QoS) engine does not take effect unless traffic is outward bound.  It schedules which packets are allowed to leave the WAN port to maximize WAN usage.  WISH does effect the wireless users however.  Your efforts may in vain (not the artery, but the vein).
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »

WISH should allow for priority wireless connection. Like Rara stated the QoS is only for out bound traffic. It literally prioritizes outbound packets.
Is the machine with the media server running any A/V firewall software?
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.

woodsptw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

Thanks. 

So - QoS won't help on the LAN for the Media Center communication with the XBOX.  That makes sense now.

Any tips on the WISH configuration settings?

As for the PC - I'm running the CA Personal Firewall on a Dell 8400 Windows XP machine and Dell USB 802.11g wireless adapter. It is a dual band adapter a, b & g but the Dir-655 doesn't support 802.11a.  I'm hard-wired from the router to the XBOX 360 and at 802.11g from the PC to the router.

I do get picture for a little bit and then it goes to the screen that says "Digital Audio". 

Is there a way (if only as a test) to completely isolate this PC to the XBOX (including avoid any and all network congestion including internet)??

Thanks again.

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

So if I understand this whole correctly, the Zune is acting as a media server?
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.

woodsptw

• Level 1 Member
Re: XBOX 360 Media Extender issue resolved
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:31:58 AM »

Dell 8400 w/ TVT3 dual tuner, and 802.11g network adapter
- Music Library served up with Zune
- Video & Recorded TV through Media Center

(wirelessly) connected to

DLINK DIR-655 Extreme N Router

connected (by wire) to

XBOX 360 (acting as media extender)

connected HDMI to 61" JVC 1080P HDTV
connected audio (additionally) to Sterio Receiver

So the flow is this: Recorded TV from the PC over wireless through router to media extender to TV. (Media Center)

I can also do music from my PC over wireless through router to media extender to stereo system (and TV for that matter). (Zune)

The Zune setup works fine. The Media Center hasn't.  I was getting "Digital Audio Service" and a blue screen. 

I've just discovered my problem last night.

It all started with going to www.xbox.com/pcsetup to configure the Media Center and Media Center Extender - I think the process did a Media Center update as well. That error message "Digital Audio Service" appears to be a result and is tied to an inability to properly handle poor video.

I tried the PC and realized I was also getting this message on the PC - not just over the network.  I updated some tuner drivers (as recommended by other forums) and that did not appear to help. I then looked at the live TV through Media Center and I noticed the picture quality was very poor.  So then I looked at my cable connection to the PC and realized at some point I put it through the power strip (which had a coax in/out port).

I then connected the cable directly to the PC's TV Tuner (instead of through the power strip) and the quality of the 'live' picture improved tremendously. I recorded a show and it's playback on the PC was good. I then went to my XBOX 360 / TV setup downstairs - fired up Media Center - played the recorded program (over the network from the upstairs PC) and it was fine.

Bottom line - it was never the network!   

I am still interested in getting the most of the Router and ensuring the settings are correct for WISH but with everything working - I'm not sure there is anything else I need to do.

Thanks all!  I hope my ordeal helps someone else in the process.