• April 18, 2024, 01:36:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DFL-210 PPTP using Internal DHCP Server  (Read 5780 times)

tylan

• Level 1 Member
DFL-210 PPTP using Internal DHCP Server
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:35:53 AM »

I was wondering if the PPTP server could pull IP addresses from an internal (windows) dhcp server?  Th ip pool works fine, I would rather pull the ip from the windows box as this would help with name resolution - - I could force the dhcp server to register the PPTP client's name/ip with our Active Directory DNS.

Or, if I continue with the IP pool, is there a way I can make the DFL tell the Windows Server DNS the info it just gave out?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: DFL-210 PPTP using Internal DHCP Server
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »

Unfortunately PPTP clients use PPP to pull their IP not DHCP so this isn't as simple as setting up DHCP relay.

There is no way by design to do what you ask but I can think of at least one really hackish way.  Set up a syslog listener on your server and set the logging level on the PPTP server on full logging, then write a script to utilize the incoming log information for clients info.  As I said it is a hack, but I think you can get the information you need.

Unfortunately that is the best I have for you.
non progredi est regredi

tylan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »

Any difference if I switch to L2TP?

Or would I gain more flexibility if I switch to using the NetDefend VPN Client?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »

L2TP still uses PPP.

An IPsec client like the NetDefend client would be more flexible.  Though I must add that the NetDefend client is Windows XP only.
non progredi est regredi