• April 24, 2024, 02:58:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't connect to my DNS-320  (Read 24884 times)

byronyasgur

• Level 1 Member
Can't connect to my DNS-320
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »

I had set up my dns-320 and I thought I had everything working properly. I tested the two computers on the network fairly thoroughly and it all seemed to work, but then after a few minutes of use it suddenly wouldn't connect anymore. That is I couldn't find the mapped drive from either computer, and I couldn't login to the GUI via the browser ( tried several browsers ) ... I tried this on the Windows 7 machine and XP machine .... but I have my doubts about it being to do with one of the computers because the device doesn't seem to be booting properly. The power light stays flashing and never goes solid blue no matter how long I wait.

Some things I've tried.

• I pluged the DNS320 directly into my laptop via ethernet and I got "network scanner" to scan from 192.168.000.000 to 192.168.000.106 and all it found was my laptop which was 192.168.0.104
  • I tried to ping the default ip of the nas and it said destination host unreachable
  • I tried restarting the device and I noticed that when I did it powered down straight away ( much more quicly than it would on a typical power down I thought )
  • I tried disabling windows firewall
  • I tried resetting the DNS320 back to factory settings but when I pushed the button for >8 s nothing happened at all. Tried this several times

The backstory
The thing is that this happened before, and no matter what I did it wouldn't work. I spent hours trying every conceivable thing. The worst thing was that I wasn't even able to get it back to factory settings or run the setup wizard on it but how I got it working in the end was to connect it to my old xp machine and for some reason it worked fine there ... ( and from that I was able to set it up properly as well as access it via the network from my windows 7 machine, but as I wrote it is now exhibiting the above behaviour )

... also now my xp machine is showing the same thing as what happened to the win 7 machine first time when I try to connect it directly and for instance reset it back to factory settings or anything to be able to see it on the network.

Not sure if that has any bearing upon things.

Can anyone suggest anything?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Can't connect to my DNS-320
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »

What brand/make router do you own?
Do you have any HDDs installed in the DNS-320?

Some things to try:

• Log into your router web UI and see if the DNS-320 shows up on the connected device table. If so, this is the IP address you must enter into your browser
  • Did you set a static IP address on your DNS-320? If you set a static IP address and the address is outside of the established IP range of the router, the DNS-320 will not show. I recommend setting a reserved IP address through the router to ensure that the DNS-320 retains the same IP and does not conflict with any other devices (which could happen if the DNS-320 and another device are competing for the same IP)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

byronyasgur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »

Thanks. I know what you mean about being plugged through a router and of course that's the setup; but in this instance given that I was no longer able to access the device on the network; for troubleshooting I decided to take the router out of the equation and plug directly into the NAS via Ethernet and I cant access the NAS there and like I said I've used netscanner and it doesn't show up.

As regards static IP. The answer is yes and no .... what I mean is that it was on dynamic but I switched it to static and then ended up switching it back to dynamic ... but it still ended up sticking with the static address so I was pretty confused by that during setup .... but anyway it worked perfectly ( until it disappeared completely during normal use that it )  .... anyway at the moment it cant be found (by browser or netscanner ) on either the static IP that it had when it was static OR the default IP  - (the one ending in .32)

HDD's
I have 2 WD 300GB caviar configured as RAID1

UPDATE - I just plugged it in and it seems to be back to normal in that it properly starts up and power led goes solid and that  I could access the files. I am beginning to suspect an overheating problem ( but it was on a solid surface with adequate ventilation and the fan setting was set to the default auto ). I am going to try to log in now and set the IP to a static one so I know I can always know where to find it but my guess is that I haven't seen the last of this failure to start properly problem.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:34:23 AM by byronyasgur »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

When you say that the DNS-320 is "plug[ged] directly into the NAS via Ethernet", do you mean a direct connection to your PC or a switch?

If you're ultimate setup will include a router, I recommend switching back to DHCP and reserving the IP address. If you believe system temperature is a concern, you can setup an email notification when the temperature passes a user-defined threshold. In the web UI navigate to System Management > Notifications > Event Settings
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:46:02 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

byronyasgur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »

I mean I've plugged directly into the (DNS-320) NAS from the PC via ethernet - exact same as during running setup wizard. There is no switch or router in the picture at the moment ( for troubleshooting purposes I have tried to connect through the router and was not able to so that's why I simplified the scenario and tried to connect directly. If I cant connect directly ( as is done during setup ) then I won't be able to connect via a router I maintain. )

In any case I tried both and neither worked so what I was essentially trying to do was to reset the device and run the setup wizard again.

Anyway though I think it's clearly not a networking problem I have here as the exact same setup worked perfectly today (after it cooled) whereas it wasn't working at all last night ( no changes in the meantime ) ... further to this after working perfectly for about 20minutes just now it has just stopped working so I'm going to let it cool down now and see if it's a heating problem.
Thanks for the tip on the temperature but it doesn't seem much use to me unless I also somehow know the temperature that the device goes into shutdown ... but it might come in handy anyway. Do these devices experience temp shutdowns typically?

ps I have now got it set up with a static ip ( though it crashed before I was able to test this but I think it's right ... will know later when it cools assuming that's it ) .... I also set a reserved ip on the router for when I introduce that back into the chain

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:10:18 AM by byronyasgur »

byronyasgur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »

Ok the update is that I finally got a static IP setup and working and tested and reserved on the router and now I have it wired back into the network ( ie it's plugged into the router )

To cut a long story short I still dont know for certain what the problem is but I'm fairly sure that it is connected somehow with the automatic fan control. When the fan switched itself off it always seemed to crash. I can't tell whether this was due to temperature rising above the max temp on account of the fan going off or whether it was some bug in the firmware which caused the device to crash when the fan off control ran, but in my case I changed the auto fan setting from Off/Low/High to just Low/High and it seems to be having an effect. I have the hibernate temporarily disabled so I can monitor it and I tried to copy a couple of huge folders to put it under stress and it still hasn't crashed an hour later, which for me is a bit of a result. I may end up having to leave the fan setting as it is and abandon the "off" setting which is not very energy conscious but ce la vie.

Does anyone know if theres any way of getting a temperature record I would really like to know whether the device crashes because of temp or not. My suspicion is not because the manual says it's programmed to shut down if the temp exceeds the allowed.

BTW JavaLawyer ...  it doesn't seem much use to me unless I also somehow know the temperature that the device goes into shutdown
sorry I didn't realise I could set this myself. Thanks .... actually though I wasn't able to get the email working but that's prob my settings or something. Looks like I don't need it now anyway though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:14:25 PM by byronyasgur »

byronyasgur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but honestly this piece of equipment has robbed me of too many hours - I can't wait to replace it and it wont be a d-link  >:(

anyway the reason for the post is that I've discovered several times now over the years what the problem is and I keep forgetting and I'm fed up reading my ow posts 2 years on thinking "that guy has the same problem as I do" only to discover no it's actually MY OWN POST - anyway the problem ( in windows 7 anyway) - or at least one of the problems - lies with windows firewall - go to control panel windows firewall - allowed programs - delete all duplicates of the d-link storage utility and make sure the last one has ticks in both boxes - or just delete them all and open the utility and tick the boxes in the program control dialog

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

Seems like the maybe a configuration issue with the PC and in your networking. You seem to be the only one with this issue thus far. Thanks for posting back. If you need continued help please let us know.

I recommend using a static IP address on the DNS for it's IP address so it always has a address in case of router failure. Use the DNS web page to connect to in a web browser, IE11 or FF is preferred and configure the DNS thru there. I don't have this particular model, however I have never had an issue with my 345.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but honestly this piece of equipment has robbed me of too many hours - I can't wait to replace it and it wont be a d-link  >:(

anyway the reason for the post is that I've discovered several times now over the years what the problem is and I keep forgetting and I'm fed up reading my ow posts 2 years on thinking "that guy has the same problem as I do" only to discover no it's actually MY OWN POST - anyway the problem ( in windows 7 anyway) - or at least one of the problems - lies with windows firewall - go to control panel windows firewall - allowed programs - delete all duplicates of the d-link storage utility and make sure the last one has ticks in both boxes - or just delete them all and open the utility and tick the boxes in the program control dialog
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

zoopc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »

I had the same problem, and I'm crazy until I read this post.
I turned off and I turned on hoping that it recovered but nothing this usually in the afternoon or in the evening, in the morning instead worked quite well.
So I decided to reset several times, but even this has meant that I could get to the nas.
I could see from my router ip that was assigned to the nas, that I had previously reserved in dhcp, I reached the login page but I could not access and told me if I did ping "destination host unrechbable"
I solved away my "dns 320l" from radiator.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
Is the DNS getting a Dynamic IP address from the main host router? I recommend using a Static IP address ON the DNS set to 192.168.#.32.
Swap out LAN cables. Link> Cat6 is recommended.[/li][/list]

Also check the voltage and amps at the power adapter tip that plugs into the DNS. Make sure it reads the same as whats on the sticker.

I had the same problem, and I'm crazy until I read this post.
I turned off and I turned on hoping that it recovered but nothing this usually in the afternoon or in the evening, in the morning instead worked quite well.
So I decided to reset several times, but even this has meant that I could get to the nas.
I could see from my router ip that was assigned to the nas, that I had previously reserved in dhcp, I reached the login page but I could not access and told me if I did ping "destination host unrechbable"
I solved away my "dns 320l" from radiator.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.