• April 27, 2024, 02:25:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 8750 times)

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
Help!
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »

Recently had to upgrade from my old d-link dir-655 router.  Chose to go with Asus rt-ac3100.  Seemed like a sound chose at the time.  Last night I go to hook up my DNS-325 and the new router won't recognize it being connected.  After several chats with Asus, I come to find out that the only way to connect external storage to this router is via USB.  (WTF?)  So now I'm stuck and need a solution.  I don't want to have to give up on this router because it was expensive and past the point of being able to return it.  I also don't want to give up on my 325 as it's worked soundly the whole time I've had it and I can't bare to deal with the headache of trying to juggle all this data onto a new NAS.

Anyone with a solution?  Would using a usb to ethernet adapter work?  Any other solutions?  Thanks in advance.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Is the DNS getting a Dynamic IP address from the main host router? I recommend using a Static IP address ON the DNS set to 192.168.#.32
Does the DNS connect to the old DIR-655 router?
Swap LAN cables between DNS and new router?
Install a external Gb LAN network switch between the new router and the DNS and test...You could set up the DIR-655 as a wired AP with the new router and connect the DNS to the DIR in this mode and test:
Turning a router into an AP.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:40:33 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Is the DNS getting a Dynamic IP address from the main host router? I recommend using a Static IP address ON the DNS set to 192.168.#.32
Does the DNS connect to the old DIR-655 router?
Swap LAN cables between DNS and new router?
Install a external Gb LAN network switch between the new router and the DNS and test...You could set up the DIR-655 as a wired AP with the new router and connect the DNS to the DIR in this mode and test:
Turning a router into an AP.

Guess I should warn that I'm quite the noob with regards to all of this. 

Hardware version is A2.  I'll get back to you on the rest as I'm currently scanning the drives due to another issue that has come up. 

My DNS is now saying that my Raid 1 is degraded!?!?  I pulled both drives out independently and plugged them into a USB dock and they're both readable.  I have 2 WD Red 4TB drives in.  Haven't had them for that long either.  But like I mentioned, both were readable.  When I checked out the properties of the drives, the amount of used space on each was not the same.  One drive had 1.42 TB used while the other had 1.48 TB.  Any time I go into the DNS webpage I'm being warned that the Raid is degraded and reminded to rebuild.  Haven't done that yet.

How do I proceed from here?  I did read that sudden power outages and mess things up.  We had several power outages this past summer and each time the NAS was on.  Do I just do a manual rebuild without replacing a drive?  I'm assuming it'll rebuild from the good drive not the "bad" one (in this case, the one with more memory used I would assume).  These drives have all sorts of home movies and pictures on them.  Don't want to screw things up and lose what can't be replaced.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »

I would first check out the DNSs power adapter and make sure that's still out putting DC voltages seen on the sticker. We've seen some adapters fail after a long period of time or due to power outages in your area.

Be sure that you keep the order of the drives in the DNS the same or this can mess things up. I'll have Ivan take a look and have him help you in the best way possible...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »

I would first check out the DNSs power adapter and make sure that's still out putting DC voltages seen on the sticker. We've seen some adapters fail after a long period of time or due to power outages in your area.

Be sure that you keep the order of the drives in the DNS the same or this can mess things up. I'll have Ivan take a look and have him help you in the best way possible...

How would I go about testing the DC voltages?  Is it common for both Drives to be reading different amount of space used?  At this point in time I'm not even sure how I would check to see which is the accurate drive.  I would assume the drive with the most space used is the accurate one (most updated)?

I've only pulled the drives out one at a time so nothing's been mixed up yet.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »

I forgot to be a bit more detailed. Check the tip of the power adapter plug that connects to the DNS w a multi-meter.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »

OK, the fact that there is a difference between your two disks means that your RAID 1 array is degraded.  Make a backup of the data on the drive with the largest amount of data on it (your data is now safe and can be restored should the need arise).

Now I have a question.  Why do you want to connect your NAS to your router as external storage?  The N in NAS stands for Network.

Can you see the NAS over your network on either its default IP address or an address assigned by the DHCP server in your router?  In fact the only time the router needs to know about the NAS is if you are trying to access it from outside your local network.

As an aside, if you have a windows computer you can download Netscan from SoftPerfect https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/ and use that to find the IP address of your NAS.  There is also an Android netscan app available from the store that can be used to find the IP addresses of everything on your network.

What you should do is replace the disks in your NAS (try and get them back in the slots you took them from) and let the RAID array rebuild.  If that does not work reformat the RAID 1 array and restore from the backup you made.

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »

OK, the fact that there is a difference between your two disks means that your RAID 1 array is degraded.  Make a backup of the data on the drive with the largest amount of data on it (your data is now safe and can be restored should the need arise).

Now I have a question.  Why do you want to connect your NAS to your router as external storage?  The N in NAS stands for Network.

Can you see the NAS over your network on either its default IP address or an address assigned by the DHCP server in your router?  In fact the only time the router needs to know about the NAS is if you are trying to access it from outside your local network.

As an aside, if you have a windows computer you can download Netscan from SoftPerfect https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/ and use that to find the IP address of your NAS.  There is also an Android netscan app available from the store that can be used to find the IP addresses of everything on your network.

What you should do is replace the disks in your NAS (try and get them back in the slots you took them from) and let the RAID array rebuild.  If that does not work reformat the RAID 1 array and restore from the backup you made.

So it seems getting this NAS to be recognized by the new router is less of a concern right now then getting the darn thing backed up and fixed.  Safe to say?

So basically I need to buy a third WD 4TB Red and back the drive with the most data onto it.  Then let the NAS try to rebuild the Raid 1 with the original 2 drives.  Is that right?

I've reconnected the NAS to the old D-Link DIR655.  I can see the NAS now just fine.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:18:56 AM »

There is no need to have the backup on a single drive although it is convenient.  You only need a drive, or drives, with a bit more space that amount of data you have (we have a client that has their backup on 3 x 500 GB disks and they will add a forth when necessary to cover the 2 TB RAID 1 array).  The reason for the backup is 'peace of mind' in case something goes wrong with the rebuild (in all the years we, and our clients, have been using D-Link NAS boxes we have seen only one instance of a rebuild that went wrong and that was caused by a power outage part way through that messed up both disks, a reformat and restore from backup fixed that).

Tomorrow (today is a public holiday here) I will get my parts guy to get all the information he cam on your Asus router to see if we can track down what the problem might be.  We don't see many router problems mainly because we don't use them and don't recommend them to our clients.  We use managed switches and where wireless is needed add a wireless access point, internet connection is through a modem.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »

I think I may have a possible answer to your not seeing the NAS with the new ASUS Router.

First a question or two.  Is your DNS-325 setup to use fixed IP address?  Have you changed the default DHCP address on the ASUS?

If the answers are yes and no then there is the problem.  The NAS and your old DIR-655 use IP addresses in the 192.168.0.xxx subnet and your new ASUS uses IP addresses in the  192.168.1.xxx subnet and neither the twain shall meet.

If that is the case you need to change either the IP address of the NAS or the DHCP address of the ASUS.  Your choice.

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »

Ever get that feeling that you dove into the deep end when really, you should have been in the kiddie pool?

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for my ignorance and thank you all profusely for the patience you're going to use up trying to help me resolve this matter.

Ok so first my reason for getting a NAS was to have my saved data off my comp, and in duplicate on a stand alone system.  I anticipated it being used by my kids and wife as the "go to" save spot for any of their files (music, movies, documents, photos).  In practice though, I've been the only one to ever use it.  And the only time their stuff would get loaded onto the NAS was when a hard drive would start to fail, or I'd have to clear hard drives that were filling up (digital video camera, dslr, movie library).  The convenience of having my saved files, automatically back up to a secondary HD gave me piece of mind that I wouldn't ever lose precious files such as photos and home movies.  The NAS seemed like the right fit.  If I should have been looking at a different solution, by all means let me know.

Ivan to answer your question regarding the NAS being setup with a fixed IP.  I believe it was in fact set up that way.  I was having issues with it dropping off of my main comps map.  Contacted DLink and they walked me through some steps so that the NAS would permanently hold the same address.  I can't recall at all at this point what steps they were, but I know it worked.  The NAS was always available when it was turned on and wouldn't get bumped out by a USB key or other storage device that got connected to the main comp.

I've got the old 655 hooked back up again with the NAS connected to it.  I'm open to changing either addresses on the router or the NAS.  But I'd need some guidance to do so.  I suspect it'd be easier for you guys to help me change the address on the NAS then it would to help me change the address on the router.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »

If your not using the ASUS router at this moment you could connect one PC to the ASUS router while it's not connected to anything and change the routers IP address there. It would be a one digit change is all, 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. This is what I did with a AC5300 while I'm demoing the unit for a friend of mine. I like to keep the 192.168.0.1 pool address schema for my networking needs here. There's nothing in networking that you have to always use the default IP address pool that comes on any router.  ::) Make it easy for you and your networking needs. When the Asus router is ready, then connect it up and go online with it.

Or you can make the change on the DNS, by changing it's address from 192.168.0.### to 192.168.1.###
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:47:15 AM by FurryNutz »

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »

If your not using the ASUS router at this moment you could connect one PC to the ASUS router while it's not connected to anything and change the routers IP address there. It would be a one digit change is all, 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. This is what I did with a AC5300 while I'm demoing the unit for a friend of mine. I like to keep the 192.168.0.1 pool address schema for my networking needs here. There's nothing in networking that you have to always use the default IP address pool that comes on any router.  ::) Make it easy for you and your networking needs. When the Asus router is ready, then connect it up and go online with it.

Or you can make the change on the DNS, by changing it's address from 192.168.0.### to 192.168.1.###

Ok trying to sort this today.  So just to be clear, I'm changing the LAN Ip right?  Not the WAN?  The LAN IP is exactly as you described up above.  Whereas the WAN has an address of 192.168.2.100.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »

Yes, if your connecting the DNS to the ASUS router, then the LAN side or router IP address on the ASUS router can be changed to 192.168.0.1.

Seems you have a router before the ASUS router already. Don't worry about that for now.

CyberSteak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »

Yes, if your connecting the DNS to the ASUS router, then the LAN side or router IP address on the ASUS router can be changed to 192.168.0.1.

Seems you have a router before the ASUS router already. Don't worry about that for now.

Yes.  I've updated my old Dlink 655 to the Asus.

Ok.  So I've changed the LAN IP address on the router to match up the address of the DNS as you suggested.  Everything was saved.  I hooked everything back up.  So...

Asus router hooked up to the Main comp.  DNS plugged into the router.  When I go into the router's webpage I can see the DNS connected via ethernet with my main comp also connected.  So success that far.  BUT...can't seem to map the DNS now on my main comp (Win 7 btw).

I go into Computer>Map Network Drive>Select Drive Z>Browse to \\192.168.0.196 and get a 'Cannot access' prompt.
Pages: [1] 2