• April 27, 2024, 08:41:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't power off or open Web control panel  (Read 2498 times)

Blaq

• Level 1 Member
Can't power off or open Web control panel
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:21:56 AM »

Two days ago, a breaker tripped while my PC was performing a backup. When power was restored, my NAS's LED blinked blue for quite a while. (I assume it was rebuilding the RAID-1 array or validating the drives.) Normal operation eventually resumed, with two solid blue LEDs.

Today, I'm finding my NAS unresponsive—the router doesn't list its DHCP entry, I can't access the NAS via its assigned IP, and holding the power button pressed has no effect. How can I safely restart it, if it won't respond to the power button?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Can't power off or open Web control panel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »

Unplug the power adapter for 1 minute and let the power drain from the DNS and from the wall out let or power strip.
Was the power adapter connected to a power strip or UPS? If not, I would check the power voltage on the end plug the goes in to the DNS first with a volt meter and check to see the voltage is correct and matches what is specified on the power adapters sticker. V## and Amps##. If it does not match or seems off or fluctuates wildly then the power adapter needs to be replaced.

If the voltages is good, disconnect the Network LAN cable from the DNS, then plug back in and press the ON button and see if the unit comes to ready. If it does, then plug in the network LAN cable check for IP addressing.

I highly recommend connecting the DNS and your back up PC to a UPS device so when the main power goes out, you have time to stop the back up and gracefully shut down the DNS and PC.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Can't power off or open Web control panel
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »

Another thing I would ask, is your network on the same default subnet as the DNS (192.168.0.xxx)?  If not that could be part of the problem because the DNS could quite easily have reverted to factory default settings.

If your PC os is windows then download a copy of Netscan by SoftPerfect https://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/ (it is free and has both 32 and 64 bit versions).  Insert your DHCP subnet range and run the scan.  If your DNS is resident on that subnet and responding Netscan will find it.  Do this after you have physically checked the unit as described by FurryNutz.

If you still can't find it on the network open your browser and type http://192.168.0.32 into the address bar and hit enter.  If the NAS is alive that should find it.  If it doesn't then you have much bigger problems and I hope you have a good backup of the data on your NAS.