• April 18, 2024, 07:24:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-131 (D-link nano) adapter is not recognized by my Dell 531 PC.  (Read 17839 times)

Paul_h

• Level 1 Member

Hi
I have almost given up trying to install the D-link nano (DWA-131) adapter on my desk-top. It installed fine on my Dell 1525 lap top and when inserted into the USB socket flashes away ten-to-the-dozen. When trying to install into the desk top the installation says adapter not found- insert adapter. When you hit 'return' the installation returns with 'adpater installed' 'Finish', without going through the connection process.
It is obvious the PC is not recognizing the adapter as the adapter only flashes once a second unlike the laptop.
Actions:
I have removed my Kaspersky before install.
I have tried Realtek drivers
I have stopped windows Vista from installing its own driver when the adapter is plugged in.

D-link support say it is a PC problem.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.
Regards
Paul

SOLUTION  SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION   SOLUTION

After three days work I had given up and repacked the DWA-131 to return it. I think that the problem was as soon as I inserted the adapter the PC (running Vista) found an existing driver that it thought was the best option somewhere on the hard drive. Disabling auto install had no effect.  Having looked for it and deleted anything that looked like an old version of the driver it still managed to find a version of the driver that the DWA-131 happily ignored. I had tried everything.

Having not touched it for a day or so it occurred to me that I might try installing the driver in Safe Mode. As a last stab I uninstalled the software, rebooted in Safe Mode (basic option with no internet drivers either) and ran the install software from the CD supplied. It went through the installation and when asked to insert the hardware it found the driver. It would not run the connect phase of the software. Rebooted the PC as a normal startup, found the installed software, and when run it found the network that had been missing for so long.

Hit the WPS button on the router and bingo! WIFI WORKS

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:24:09 AM by Paul_h »

Paul_h

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-131 (D-link nano) adapter is not recognized by my Dell 531 PC.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »

SOLUTION      SOLUTION      SOLUTION      SOLUTION ;D

After three days work I had given up and repacked the DWA-131 to return it. :'(  I think that the problem was as soon as I inserted the adapter the PC (running Vista) found an existing driver that it thought was the best option somewhere on the hard drive. Disabling auto install had no effect.  Having looked for it and deleted anything that looked like an old version of the driver it still managed to find a version of the driver that the DWA-131 happily ignored. I had tried everything.  >:(

Having not touched it for a day or so it occurred to me that I might try installing the driver in Safe Mode. As a last stab I uninstalled the software, rebooted in Safe Mode (basic option with no internet drivers either) and ran the install software from the CD supplied. It went through the installation and when asked to insert the hardware it found the driver. It would not run the connect phase of the software. Rebooted the PC as a normal startup, found the installed software, and when run it found the network that had been missing for so long.

Hit the WPS button on the router and bingo! WIFI WORKS