• April 23, 2024, 10:45:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Swap drives from dead DNS-323 to new DNS-320?  (Read 13016 times)

rmiller1959

• Level 1 Member
Swap drives from dead DNS-323 to new DNS-320?
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »

I have a DNS-323 that has given up the ghost. It doesn't power up - no light, no fan, nothing. I'm not skilled enough to figure out which part of the box is broken, and the only cause of the problem I can assume is the power outage during Hurricane Irene which abruptly shut down the NAS. It was a couple of weeks before I attempted to power it up again, since we were in the midst of a move at the time.

I tried using a software solution to recover my files from the hard drives and, while it appears to have recovered several of them, I'm not sure if all of them were rescued because I don't have the contents committed to memory!

Anyway, the thought occurred to me to purchase a replacement NAS and, in my research, I came across the DNS-320. I was attracted to its gigabit Ethernet port and the $50 savings over the DNS-323. The drives were formatted using JBOD, and it appears the DNS-320 supports it.

My question is this: Would the drives be read the same by the DNS-320 as they were by the DNS-323? In other words, could I plug the drives into the DNS-320, fire it up, and read my files just as they are? If I have to reformat the drives,, then the idea is a non-starter. Thanks for the help!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Swap drives from dead DNS-323 to new DNS-320?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:27:37 AM »

I found a post on this subject posted by D-Link here.

Summarizing the post: it looks like RAID 1 is "NOT" transferable, but Standard Volumes and JBOD "ARE" transferable. Good news for you "if" this is true. Please see the post on the link above.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:32:13 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

rmiller1959

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »

Thank you for once again coming to my rescue!

rmiller1959

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »

Just be mindful of the information in the referenced post and make sure you have a backup of your data before moving forward.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:44:29 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

rmiller1959

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:53:44 AM »

Just to close the loop, I couldn't get the DNS-320 to read the drives from my old DNS-323 "as is", even though they were JBOD and not RAID. Since I'd already recovered a good number of files from the drives using R-Studio, I just went ahead and reformatted them so I'd have a functional NAS device again. It's a good lesson to learn, however, to have a backup of your backup (grin)!

Fortunately, we didn't store critical files on the device, and we used it mostly to share files between computers on the network, meaning most of them were downloaded from the NAS to someone else's computer. Since I don't know if the restored files and folders represent all of the ones that were actually on the drives, ignorance is bliss!

Thanks to JavaLawyer, who's been a great help throughout this process!

rmiller1959

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:54:59 AM »

Just to close the loop, I couldn't get the DNS-320 to read the drives from my old DNS-323 "as is", even though they were JBOD and not RAID. Since I'd already recovered a good number of files from the drives using R-Studio, I just went ahead and reformatted them so I'd have a functional NAS device again. It's a good lesson to learn, however, to have a backup of your backup (grin)!

Fortunately, we didn't store critical files on the device, and we used it mostly to share files between computers on the network, meaning most of them were downloaded from the NAS to someone else's computer. Since I don't know if the restored files and folders represent all of the ones that were actually on the drives, ignorance is bliss!

Thanks to JavaLawyer, who's been a great help throughout this process!