• March 28, 2024, 02:20:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recover deleted files  (Read 10051 times)

Argento1982

Recover deleted files
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »

There are some files missing (apparently deleted by mistake) in my DNS-323.
Is there any way of recovering this files???

I will also like to know HOW do I have to do to let both disks (two 500gb disks) in normal mode (actually in RAID-1). And I would like to work in one disk, and use the other one for backup... so I can run the backup when ever I want (with some software for making backups from one of the computers).

Is this possible??
Help!

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: Recover deleted files
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:56 AM »

I've been through this issue before and there's no easy answer.  *IF* you had a linux desktop, you could take a drive out of the 323 and mount it and (google for some linux data recovery faqs) try it that way.

There is no undelete facility on the 323.  And for what it's worth, it's not listed on the 1.07 firmware feature request page (perhaps on one of the latter pages?). 

inglespat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »

Has anyone had any success taking their drive out and mounting it to a linux desktop and undeleting files? I mistakenly deleted some video files on my dns-321.

(If not, I am considering taking one of the drives out and putting it to the side for a few years in the hopes that someone develops a really good linux undelete program ithat could help.)

Please let me know! Thanks

rkaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »

In short, yes, you can undelete successfully. Your best chances for recovering your file(s) on a ext2 partition are immediately after deleting them -- your chances diminish the more you write data to the drive after deletion.

It's a pretty simple process: download a (.ISO) linux distro where you can boot from the cd/dvd drive (you dont want to (or need to) install linux on your pc hard drive. write the cd. connect your DNS321 drive to a sata port on your pc and you will be able to access your drive.

if you have a need for backup, in the future you might setup your DNS321 as 'standard' drives instead of RAID, and set the config for ftp such that hard drive2 (volume2) connects to hard drive1 (volume1) every night at 3am and makes a copy of the data.

inglespat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

Rkaye,
Those are both excellent points. I can plug one of the drives into my vista desktop via sata and boot linux via cd like you mentioned. And I'll further backup as you mentioned.

I haven't turned my dns321 on since I accidentally deleted the file so nothing new has been written to the hard drives since I accidentally deleted the video files.

Any recommendation on which linux program to use to undelete the video files (sony avchd)? I have heard conflicting information regarding the success of restoring deleted video files.

Thanks!