• April 19, 2024, 09:28:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615  (Read 762845 times)

rainz3

• Level 1 Member
Re: Guide to DD-WRT (custom firmware) for DIR-615
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »

Alright I figured out the whole torrent thing! :) Sharing a movie from one comp to the other via utorrent at 2Mb/s twice as fast as before! Not nearly what I was hoping for but much better! Also, I now have to figure out why one keeps dropping from 300 to 130 then down to 30 and fluctuates constantly while my other desktop further from the router stays steady at 300. Oh well, so much work for simple file transfer!

neko259

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »

I have a DIR-615 E4 router. Of all dd-wrt firmwares only e1 14311 works for me. All the latest can't connect to the L2TP or PPTP connection of my ISP. When I press 'connect' , it re-connects the LAN as it does usually, but L2PT connection stays 'disconnected'.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »

I have a DIR-615 E4 router. Of all dd-wrt firmwares only e1 14311 works for me.

Have you tried the one here: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/11-06-10-r15693/dlink-dir615e4/ ?

Get dir615e4-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin and upgrade through emergency interface (instructions in first post of this thread)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:11:05 AM by Skello »

neko259

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »

Have you tried the one here: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/11-06-10-r15693/dlink-dir615e4/ ?

Get dir615e4-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin and upgrade through emergency interface (instructions in first post of this thread)

I tried this firmware, but not through emergency interface. I upgraded it through the 'firmware upgrade' page of dd-wrt.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

I tried this firmware, but not through emergency interface. I upgraded it through the 'firmware upgrade' page of dd-wrt.

And? It didn't flash, gave an error? In what way didn't it work for you?

neko259

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »

And? It didn't flash, gave an error? In what way didn't it work for you?
Like I already said, it flashed correctly, LAN workd, but it does not connect to PPTP or L2TP. In any way.

noodleninja

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »

I got a feeling this is going too sound verry noob but when I copy the ftp link for the custom firmware for dir 615 rev d2 into my browser it brings up a login page which i enter my login details for this site, but says my login details are incorrect.??? any help??

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »

I got a feeling this is going too sound verry noob but when I copy the ftp link for the custom firmware for dir 615 rev d2 into my browser it brings up a login page which i enter my login details for this site, but says my login details are incorrect.??? any help??

Do this one work (copy&paste)?  ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/11-09-10-r15704/dlink-dir615d/

What browser are you using?

jwalange

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed post, Skello.

I have the F3 version of the DIR-615?  (I live in China and bought it here)

The DD-WRT site doesn't say anything about it, so it's not officially supported.  Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about the F3 version?

谢谢

HHI114

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2010, 02:46:20 AM »

One thing I don't get is is the installation bit there is two ways to do it. But in the first method of the installation do you still have to do a hard reset to your router or a 30/30/30 cycle or do you just go with what it says because on the DD-WRT site it says don't avoid the hard reset step.
Please can somebody tell me whether I have to do a hard reset before I do the DD-WRT firmware upgrade or not.
Thanks.

buckm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2010, 04:52:14 AM »

I have the d version of the router and I didn't do a hard reset, i just upgraded it using the upgrade feature in the existing d-link firmware, worked like a dream, was just like upgrading to a new d-link version.

Mike

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »

One thing I don't get is is the installation bit there is two ways to do it. But in the first method of the installation do you still have to do a hard reset to your router or a 30/30/30 cycle or do you just go with what it says because on the DD-WRT site it says don't avoid the hard reset step.
Please can somebody tell me whether I have to do a hard reset before I do the DD-WRT firmware upgrade or not.
Thanks.

I think it depends on the revision. On D it's not necessary. On C or E it might be. You could do it just to be on the safe side.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:04 PM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed post, Skello.

I have the F3 version of the DIR-615?  (I live in China and bought it here)

The DD-WRT site doesn't say anything about it, so it's not officially supported.  Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about the F3 version?

谢谢

From http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=488397 I understand it has a Realtek CPU and wireless chipset. It's not supported at the moment. Sorry. Might be in the future, but not sure how long.

Mix3d Nuts

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »

Hey Skello,

I was wondering if you could help me out with something real quick. I'm fairly new to all this router/wireless/networking options, I'm more of the "offline" computer tech. I just installed the DD-WRT (build 15778) to my DIR-615 C1 router.

If I leave NG Mixed on, would this router let my Xbox 360 be in N mode while my iPod Touch stays in G mode simultaneously? Also is this router only 2.4 GHz? I've been having trouble recently with my Xbox not getting optimal speeds for some reason.

At the moment I have Comcast 50/10. It usually goes past that for download speeds, and around +/- 2 for upload speeds. Thats on speedtest.net and on my Desktop (Ethernet). On wireless I usually cap at 10/9, does that sound right?

Thanks.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »

@Mix3d Nuts

I have it set to full Mixed mode (not only G and N) and there should be little or no performance impact on the N clients. In Mixed mode G clients will work at G speeds and N clients at N speeds, however, if you use them at the same time, they will obviously share the wireless channel's bandwidth.

So if you have a G client connected and active, it will use up bandwidth and you won't be able to achieve full N rates on the N client until the G one goes idle. But theoretically, yes, the G and N clients work simultaneously at their supposed rates.

Another thing to consider is the wireless security. This might sound strange, but unless you don't use WPA2 authentication with AES encryption, you will not achieve N rates. It's part of the specification. If you use something lower, your N client will fall back to G rates.

Also, the N specification is capable of 40 Mhz bandwidth, and by default DD-WRT and other firmwares set it to 20 Mhz for the 2.4 Ghz band. You can read more about why here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration . I turned mine to 40 Mhz though and it works fine.

Channel selection is also important, if you are in a densely populated area with a lot of wireless networks around that use the same channel as yours, the performance will be poor. Try experimenting with different channels to see if there's any difference. Also check the rate on your Status > Wireless page.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:40:41 AM by Skello »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17