• April 17, 2024, 09:06:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setting up private folders  (Read 13627 times)

yottaflops

• Level 1 Member
Setting up private folders
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

Hi all,

Just got my box a few days ago, browsed around this forum, and still can't seem to figure out how to set up private folders.

What I really want to do is have:
1) a share that is public, to store my music, pictures, videos, etc.
2) a share that is private, to store my bank statements, tax forms, etc.

I have two drives in a RAID-1 configuration, so I only have one volume, "Volume_1".

My question is, how do I set it up so that I'm the only user that can access the private share?

Thanks!

ShMiCk

• Level 2 Member
Re: Setting up private folders
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:34:15 PM »

The way I did it was to set privilages for certain folders that "anyone" can access and give myself access to all.

It's a setting within the GUI.

Handy when you want to hide all your ****  ;)

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »

Hi all,

Just got my box a few days ago, browsed around this forum, and still can't seem to figure out how to set up private folders.

What I really want to do is have:
1) a share that is public, to store my music, pictures, videos, etc.
2) a share that is private, to store my bank statements, tax forms, etc.

I have two drives in a RAID-1 configuration, so I only have one volume, "Volume_1".

My question is, how do I set it up so that I'm the only user that can access the private share?

Thanks!

This is what I did,

1. setup a user (User1) that you will use to access your private folders
2. setup a Private group (Private) and add the user from step 1 into it
3. create a folder on the root of Volume_1 (Public)
4. create another folder on the root of Volume_1 (Private$)
5. assign rights to ALL on the Public folder
6. assign rights to the Private Group onto the Private$ folder and Volume_1

Your NETWORK ACCESS SETTINGS should look like this:

Share         Path                      User/Group       Comment          Oplocks      Map      R/W     
Volume_1   Volume_1              Private              Private Access     yes          yes       Tick
Public         Volume_1/Public     ALL                                           yes           yes       Tick
Private$     Volume_1/Private$  Private               Private Access    yes           yes       Tick

The Private$ folder makes the folder hidden from network browsing.

Hope this helps
Rodney

rkaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »

Great answer from Rodent if you want to set up user-based security.
--Please note though that your files will not be encrypted. and your files will be accessible: if someone uses your PC while you are signed into the DNS323, if the DNS323 is compromised by a hacker (your PC gets a virus that drops a rootkit on your system), or if the drive(s) are removed from the DNS323 unit.

If you don't want to mess with user privileges, you could simply put an encrypted container on your DNS323. This is the accepted manner of storing your data privately and securely.

If you are unfamiliar with encrypted containers -- it is very much like writing data to a rewritable CD.
--basically you create a file which you mount (right click on) and after typing a password/passphrase it opens up as a folder (or virtual hard drive). you can then read/write/add to/delete/whatever... when you are done, you unmount it (right click, unmount). it's really much easier than it sounds.
--check out truecrypt http://www.truecrypt.org (free open-source) or
--google  with keywords: open-source encryption container, or
--or search sourceforge.net with keywords: encrypt container
Encrypted containers protect data extremely well. Do not lose your password!  ;)

You might find a combination of user permissions and encryption to suit you best:
  • read only access to family pix and vids to prevent someone accidentally deleting them,
  • read/write access to the family calendar, basic family docs (notes to the babysitter, what to do in case of emergency,...), music (\music\mom, \music\dad, music\kid1, music\moms-ipod, whatever...)
  • encrypted container for taxes, investments, bank statements, legal stuff,...

There is only one other thing I would like to add; You probably do NOT want raid1. I think you want "standard" which means you have two separate hard drives. let me explain: Many people make the mistake of thinking that raid1 protects them more than it really does;
  • raid1 will provide continuity ONLY if one of your two hard drives fail -- meaning if one drive physically fails, the other drive will seamlessly take over
  • if data is corrupted it will be corrupted on both drives
--+this is why you will hear people repeatedly say 'raid is not backup.'  which is a concept that confuses quite a few people.
[/list]

I think what you want to do is set the drives up as 'standard' and tell hard drive #2 to connect to hard drive#1 every night and run a backup.
  • if either hard drive fails, you will lose a maximum of one day of work; today's hard drives are configured with SMART (which predicts and warns you of a hard drive failure before it totally fails), and if you setup your DNS323 bios to email you on event of SMART event, you will have plenty of warning
  • if you accidentally delete a file you can pop over to volume 2 and copy it back (on raid1, once you delete a file, it's gone from BOTH drives)
  • DNS323 can be setup so that it will automatically connect via ftp and copy files; so once this is done and tested, it'll do this on schedule without user intervention
  • you can far more dynamically upgrade a hard drive with 'standard.' Say, for example, you have two 500gb drives. by changing the second (vol2) drive to a 1500gb drive you can now not only back up your vol1 drive, but you can also run a backup program on your family PCs so they back up \my documents\to vol2 as well.  With raid1 you'd need to add drives in pairs.
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!  :)

irotjaf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »

I think what you want to do is set the drives up as 'standard' and tell hard drive #2 to connect to hard drive#1 every night and run a backup.
  • if either hard drive fails, you will lose a maximum of one day of work; today's hard drives are configured with SMART (which predicts and warns you of a hard drive failure before it totally fails), and if you setup your DNS323 bios to email you on event of SMART event, you will have plenty of warning
  • if you accidentally delete a file you can pop over to volume 2 and copy it back (on raid1, once you delete a file, it's gone from BOTH drives)
  • DNS323 can be setup so that it will automatically connect via ftp and copy files; so once this is done and tested, it'll do this on schedule without user intervention
  • you can far more dynamically upgrade a hard drive with 'standard.' Say, for example, you have two 500gb drives. by changing the second (vol2) drive to a 1500gb drive you can now not only back up your vol1 drive, but you can also run a backup program on your family PCs so they back up \my documents\to vol2 as well.  With raid1 you'd need to add drives in pairs.
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!  :)

And how can I tell drive 1 to connect to drive 2 to make daily backups? I would  be really interested in this solution. At the moment I have RAID1 (Firmware 1.07). The solution online refers to previous firmwares http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:backup

I would also be interested to have the same solution with an external Maxtor USB 1TB hard drive. That is, to use the external HDD for daily backups (always connected to DNS-323) and keep internal drives only for share. My external hff has NTFS file system. I didn't try to connect it with the fun plug hack since some people said it corrupts the data of the external hdd.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:52:53 AM by irotjaf »

brianw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

Great answer from Rodent if you want to set up user-based security.
    --Please note though that your files will not be encrypted. and your files will be accessible: if someone uses your PC while you are signed into the DNS323, if the DNS323 is compromised by a hacker (your PC gets a virus that drops a rootkit on your system), or if the drive(s) are removed from the DNS323 unit.

If you don't want to mess with user privileges, you could simply put an encrypted container on your DNS323. This is the accepted manner of storing your data privately and securely.

There is only one other thing I would like to add; You probably do NOT want raid1. I think you want "standard" which means you have two separate hard drives. let me explain: Many people make the mistake of thinking that raid1 protects them more than it really does;
    • raid1 will provide continuity ONLY if one of your two hard drives fail -- meaning if one drive physically fails, the other drive will seamlessly take over
    • if data is corrupted it will be corrupted on both drives
    --+this is why you will hear people repeatedly say 'raid is not backup.'  which is a concept that confuses quite a few people.
    [/list]

• you can far more dynamically upgrade a hard drive with 'standard.' Say, for example, you have two 500gb drives. by changing the second (vol2) drive to a 1500gb drive you can now not only back up your vol1 drive, but you can also run a backup program on your family PCs so they back up \my documents\to vol2 as well.  With raid1 you'd need to add drives in pairs.
    Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!  :)

I'd like to know how to configure the ftp to copy files over as well.
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:19:02 AM by brianw »

grand11

• Level 1 Member
    « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »

This is what I did,

1. setup a user (User1) that you will use to access your private folders
    2. setup a Private group (Private) and add the user from step 1 into it
    3. create a folder on the root of Volume_1 (Public)
    4. create another folder on the root of Volume_1 (Private$)
    5. assign rights to ALL on the Public folder
    6. assign rights to the Private Group onto the Private$ folder and Volume_1

Your NETWORK ACCESS SETTINGS should look like this:

Share         Path                      User/Group       Comment          Oplocks      Map      R/W     
    Volume_1   Volume_1              Private              Private Access     yes          yes       Tick
    Public         Volume_1/Public     ALL                                           yes           yes       Tick
    Private$     Volume_1/Private$  Private               Private Access    yes           yes       Tick

The Private$ folder makes the folder hidden from network browsing.

Hope this helps
    Rodney

Great explanation but as a note:  this has never worked for me and my dlink, because as soon as I input a single user the ability to anonymously log in breaks (you must supply credentials so if only one account exists you've locked everyone else out).  Is there an easy to to allow NUL so i can have a general share for my tons of various "workgroup" machines and password access for a selected account?  Easy to do on a Windows server, but proving tricky on this d-link.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
    « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »

The latest firmware has broken this capability, and there's no schedule for when I might be changed.  Once you have a password protected share, all the shares have to be password protected.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
    PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
    « Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »

Great explanation but as a note:  this has never worked for me and my dlink, because as soon as I input a single user the ability to anonymously log in breaks (you must supply credentials so if only one account exists you've locked everyone else out).  Is there an easy to to allow NUL so i can have a general share for my tons of various "workgroup" machines and password access for a selected account?  Easy to do on a Windows server, but proving tricky on this d-link.

This example was for a previous firmware (1.04) and not the current 1.08 / 1.09 firmware that has this bug in it and waiting for dlink to fix.

R.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
    « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »

This example was for a previous firmware (1.04) and not the current 1.08 / 1.09 firmware that has this bug in it and waiting for dlink to fix.

R.
    Problem is, D-Link doesn't consider this a bug.  FWIW, I have no issues getting my Synology NAS to allow anonymous and password protected shares.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
    PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
    « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »

Problem is, D-Link doesn't consider this a bug.  FWIW, I have no issues getting my Synology NAS to allow anonymous and password protected shares.

I know dlink don't consider this a bug but I do, when I purchased this device it worked just as I wanted it to if it didn't than I wouldn't have brought it. The only reason I had to upgraded was a space issue so I had to upgrade to firmware 1.08 but I still consider it to have this bug!

We know that dlink can fix it as other devices can do it (Synology NAS) its just dlink pulling there finger out there a!@#$ and actually programing something that there consumers want and fixing bug instead of releasing another firmware (1.09) that fixes nothing and gives just about the same.

R.

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
    « Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »

Rodent:

I agree with you 100%. But you have to be careful what you say because some people on this forum doesn't think it is not nice to criticize D-Link.  But, I really think that we need to make some noise and maybe they will listen to us. We need a good firmware and not another do nothing 1.09. GRJ solved the problem by buying a Synology NAS.

If I knew then what I know now I probably would have spent the extra money for a Synology. Hopefully D-Link will wake up and smell the coffee that we need some help.

Terry