• May 11, 2024, 05:13:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disable WAN port  (Read 17510 times)

mig

• Level 3 Member
Disable WAN port
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

I want to use my DIR-655 as a switch and access point only.  Is there any way
to disable the WAN port and "gateway" features on the router.  Currently,
I have no WAN gateway information configured, no DHCP defined and no cable
plugged into the WAN port.  This seems to work, but the WAN led keeps flashing.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Disable WAN port
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »

No there is no way to disable it.
non progredi est regredi

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:36:45 AM »

Bummer, perhaps that could be considered in a firmware upgrade?

I can fix the flashing WAN led with a piece of white electrical tape.
Are there any performance issues I might be causing with the the
WAN ethernet cable not connected?  I'm thinking possibly some
default in the routing table that assumes you will always have a WAN?

JonClaud

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »

No, you should be OK. Perhaps set your WAN with a static ip address. DHCP setting might be trying to pull a ip address, being in an active mode. However, it still will not affect your switch setup.

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »

I wouldn't use the routers DHCP server if you aren't using the WAN port.

Use the DHP server of the router connecting you to the internet. Less likely to screw up gateway and DNS info on Client.

Also change the IP address of the router you are going to use as a bridge so you don't have an IP conflict. Write down the IP address so you can manage it without have to factory reset it (which would conflict with most network IP for router).
Meanest person you know

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »

Also change the IP address of the router you are going to use as a bridge so you don't have an IP conflict. Write down the IP address so you can manage it without have to factory reset it (which would conflict with most network IP for router).
No DHCP service is enabled on the DIR-655, the only DHCP server is on my gateway router.

Not sure I understand your advice for a 'bridge' IP conflict?

I have my existing router functioning as a gateway and a wireless G access point,
I want to use my new DIR-655 as a wireless N (only) access point on the network.

rydude

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »

I think what he means is, is the gateway router also your internet modem?  If so, putting it into bridge mode essentially disables the router features and makes it a modem only.  When it is a modem only it will give you a standard WAN of 64.x.x.x (just an example) but being a modem/router the device will still have an IP address in the range of 192.168.x.x which may come into conflict with the DIR-655 since it has the same or similar IP of 192.168.0.1.

Change the IP of your gateway and no 'bridge' IP conflict.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

O.K.  here is my desired network topology...,

ISP (comcast) internet service is connected, via coax, to a RCA ?##? cable modem (comcast provided the modem)

The RCA cable modem is connected, via cat5e Ethernet, to a Linksys wrt45g, [WAN port]

The Linksys wrt54g, [LAN port 1] is connected, via cat5e Ethernet, to a SMC 8 port gigabit switch, [port 1]

The SMC switch, [port 8], is connected, via cat5e Ethernet, to a D-Link DIR-655, [LAN port 1]

All hard-lined Ethernet devices on the network connected, via cat5e Ethernet, to the SMC switch, [ports 2 - 7]

The wrt45g (static IP:192.168.111.1, running DD-wrt firmware) provides the gateway, DHCP, DNS, DDNS, and wireless G AP services
and a 4 port 10/100 switch on the 192.168.111.x LAN

The DIR-655 (static IP:192.168.111.3, FW v1.11), provides the wireless N [only] AP services, and 4 port gigabit switch

I don't see the 'bridge'?  Unless you are saying that my wrt54G wireless G and the DIR-655 wireless N access points will
make a wireless connection together (I think that would be very BAD allowing two routes to any device, yikes!  :o). 
However, if I keep the DIR-655 in wireless N [only] mode, and keep the wrt54g in access point mode this should not be a problem, right?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »

He was referring to changing the IP of your DIR-655 so that it was not only known to you but not going to conflict with your WRT-54G if you factory reset the DIR-655.  In your case your a couple steps ahead and are already covered.  Just use the tape.
non progredi est regredi

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »

Ahh... I just read this post http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1049.0 and it became
clear to me that 'bridge' (in this context) means disabling the router portion of a
cable modem / router so it won't conflict with the router functions of the DIR-655.

Thanks for all your help.

...I'm just trying to find the bridge
   Has anybody seen the bridge?
   Please!
   (Have you seen the bridge?)
   I ain't seen the bridge!
   (Where's that confounded bridge?)

'The Crunge' - Led Zeppelin

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »