• March 28, 2024, 07:16:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: DNS-323 - 1.08 Ongoing Issue List  (Read 108361 times)

beefert

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 1.08 Ongoing Issue List - Updated April 5th 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »

Dear moderators, I have a new issue we can add to the list (the problem should be relatively easy to reproduce). I installed NFS add (see posts above) and after toiling with ESX to connect, I decided to remove and re-install the addon. After doing that, the addon fails to start. Here's what I did to produce (as well as try to troubleshoot) the issue:

1) Removed the NFS addon (I don't remember if I stopped the addon first or if I just hit the delete button)
2) Reinstalled NFS addon and attempted to start it (failed to start)
3) Rebooted the encloser and tried to start again (failed to start)
4) Removing the addon, rebooted the enclosure, re-installed and rebooted again, then tried to restart the addon (failed to start).
5) Removed the addon, rebooted the enclosure, re-installed and attempted to start (still failed).
6) Upgraded to firmware version 1.09 and repeated these steps and it didn't seem to make a difference

Another user seems to have the issue here:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11952.msg75505#msg75505

beefert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:36 PM »

Dear moderators, I have a new issue we can add to the list (the problem should be relatively easy to reproduce). I installed NFS add (see posts above) and after toiling with ESX to connect, I decided to remove and re-install the addon. After doing that, the addon fails to start. Here's what I did to produce (as well as try to troubleshoot) the issue:

1) Removed the NFS addon (I don't remember if I stopped the addon first or if I just hit the delete button)
2) Reinstalled NFS addon and attempted to start it (failed to start)
3) Rebooted the encloser and tried to start again (failed to start)
4) Removing the addon, rebooted the enclosure, re-installed and rebooted again, then tried to restart the addon (failed to start).
5) Removed the addon, rebooted the enclosure, re-installed and attempted to start (still failed).
6) Upgraded to firmware version 1.09 and repeated these steps and it didn't seem to make a difference

Another user seems to have the issue here:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11952.msg75505#msg75505

I was able to get past this issue by resetting the device back to factory defaults and reconfiguring it. NFS addon is running now.

badmem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »

I have just upgraded from FW 1.07 to FW 1.08. Now nothing can connect to my DNS-323, unless I manually go into the web interface, change the network link speed and save the changes. This happens every time I start the NAS. I have one Windows 7 PC, one Windows XPSP3 PC and a network media player. None of these devices can connect to the DNS-323 until I change the NAS link speed. Even if I just change the speed from auto, to 1Bit, apply and then go back to auto and save, the network can connect to the NAS again. I am not using jumbo frames. As all of my devices have this problem and it did not happen with FW1.07 it must be the new firmware.

Before I updated the FW I backed everything up. Formatted the two disks as EXT3 RAID 1 and then restored everything. I really don't want to go through the whole process and roll back to FW1.07 unless that's the only way to get the connections working again.

TIA

Neil

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 05:06:08 AM »

Did you reset to factory defaults with 1.08 and manually reconfigure?  If not, try that first.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

badmem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 03:08:12 AM »

Did you reset to factory defaults with 1.08 and manually reconfigure?  If not, try that first.

Thanks for the reply gunrunnerjohn. I have reset to factory defaults, but I still have the same problem. Even if I make no changes to the LAN settings, but save the settings, I can connect to the DNS-323 again. Any other suggestions?

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply gunrunnerjohn. I have reset to factory defaults, but I still have the same problem. Even if I make no changes to the LAN settings, but save the settings, I can connect to the DNS-323 again. Any other suggestions?

I am still running firmware 1.04 RevB and have the same problem, when I reboot the DNS I have to goto the web configuration : advanced : network access and re-save one share before I can access the DNS via SMB again. I do have a post about it here somewhere but a solution was never given.

R.

lijiajin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 05:38:09 AM »

Hi

After upgrade to 1.08 I can say now my DNS-323 is fully functioning.
Only Bittorrent is abit slow under my 100mbps ISP plan :D

mtb-cliff

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

I have two 500GB drives in a Raid 1 configuration. I have been noticing soft errors and the manual rebuild option is not available. When I try Scan Disk, it fails to do the scan disk and then reports my drives have 0kB free, and 0kB used. I am trying a restore to factory settings to see if that resolves the issues.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »

I still have the problem of not being able to scan the hard drives or perform a manual rebuild. I am using the firmware version 1.08. And once I restored to factory defaults even the UPnP scan locked up the server. I couldn't even use the power switch to restart. I had to physically unplug the power cord and plug it back in. I need the Mac fix in 1.08, but this is a ridiculous number of faults.

Please Help.
Thanks, Cliff.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

OMG. This has gone from bad to worse. Now all my folders have disappeared!!!

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »

hope you have a backup

mtb-cliff

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »

They were RAID 1 drives. That was my backup, my main file storage, everything. Anyone have any suggestions. I have sent in a request to Customer Support. I can't figure out what happened. It must be a permissions issue that was caused when it was restarted with factory defaults. That's all I can think of. I tried pulling the drives out and putting them in a USB enclosure - they show up as 526 MB drives now with a single "backup" folder with nothing in it.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »

RAID of any level is not backup, perhaps you should read the many posts on the topic here!  ::)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mtb-cliff

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »

I just ran GParted on one of the drives. It seems that the DNS must have created another partition. There is one partition identified with 500 GB with 16 MB used, and one with 187 GB used. Very weird as I didn't think it was possible to have multiple partitions using the entire drive. Hopefully their Technical Support can guide me through setting this up. Since it shows up as a separate partition I'll try to mount that partition separately to see if that works. Then I can copy the files to another drive. We'll see what happens....

mtb-cliff

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »

RAID 1 is a second copy. It is data mirroring. I do understand the differences between the RAID levels. It is specifically meant to cover physical hardware damages to one of the drives. It improves the reliability of the storage system by over 2 magnitudes. I do realize that if one deletes stuff from the drive - it gets deleted from both - but that is not the issue here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7