• March 28, 2024, 12:33:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Draft-N with Intel 4965agn  (Read 4681 times)

etfloyd

Draft-N with Intel 4965agn
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »

I have been unable to connect to the DGL-4500 with a 4965agn in 802.11n mode.  It connects fine in a or g, but no draft-N connections of any kind.  I'm using the latest drivers for the 4965 ( 11.5.1.8 ) and the latest DGL-4500 production firmware (1.02).  Here is what I have tried so far.

Two different DGL-4500s.  Three different 4965agn adapters.  Two different laptops (VAIO, and ASUS C90S.)  Four different operating systems (XP Pro SP2, Vista Home 32-bit, Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1, and Linux.)  Three different Vista driver versions for the 4965.  Various combinations of settings on both the adapter driver and the DGL-4500 (WPA-PSK + WPA2 only + AES, as well as no security at all, and just about every combination of other available options .)  I have read all I can find on the web regarding connectivity with the 4965 and the 4500 and tried it all.  No joy.

If I set the router to N-only, either band, I can't connect at all.  If I set it to G+N or A+N, it will connect with the older protocol.  I'm not looking for 300Mbps; I'd settle for 130 (I know about the channel bonding issue with Intel adapters.)  The best I can get is 54. 

I have run out of ideas at this point.  Changing to D-Link adapter is not a viable option for my primary laptop, the C90S  (afaik, D-Link doesn't make a mini-PCIx adapter and my card slot is otherwise occupied, and, well, the 4965 is practically ubiquitous; it ought to work!, d***it!)

I'm out of ideas at this point.  What would you suggest I try next?

URRIAH

Re: Draft-N with Intel 4965agn
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »

This is not a router issue, it is a compatibilty issue with the intel chipset. It was tested on only a few router types for compatability, everyone else loses out. It works great in G mode and that is what everyone for the most part will be stuck with until they can standardize wireless N.

As I wanted to get an n mini card for my laptop I did my research and found that this is not just a few having this problem, but everyone who has the intel cards.

etfloyd

Re: Draft-N with Intel 4965agn
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »

This is not a router issue, it is a compatibility issue with the Intel chipset. It was tested on only a few router types for compatability, everyone else loses out. It works great in G mode and that is what everyone for the most part will be stuck with until they can standardize wireless N.

As I wanted to get an n mini card for my laptop I did my research and found that this is not just a few having this problem, but everyone who has the Intel cards.
That's what I was afraid the answer would be.  I have another problem with the card as well - it falls over dead whenever the machine drops to battery power, or "Power Saving" mode, and won't wake up until reboot.  It's some kind of incompatibility between the 4965 and C90S.  I think I'll just punt and find another card, if I can.

So, in your research, did you find one you like?  Does it happen to have Vista 64-bit drivers, perchance?