• April 24, 2024, 04:11:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: OLED Display Sleep Causing Halt  (Read 5131 times)

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
OLED Display Sleep Causing Halt
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »

Hi All,

Anyone else noticed that when the OLED Display goes to sleep that the DNS-343 halts activity on large files?

As soon as the OLED Display goes to sleep, all HDD & LAN activity on the DNS-343 and stop.  The file sync utility (Beyond Compare) progress stops until I reach over and press the 'Next' button on the front of the DNS-343.

As soon as the OLED Information appears, the file sync progress resumes; be helpful if a few other folks could confirm a similar anomally.  BTW, the VM's I'm copying to the DNS-343 are at least 30GB in size.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:17:50 PM by hilaireg »

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
Re: OLED Display Sleep Causing Halt
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

I don't use that utility nor do I have any files that large, but I tried to simulate as close as possible by copying a 4 gb file with a 1 min. OLED timeout.  No stoppage.  I have been experiencing random lockups mid-copy, however, as I've chronicled in another thread.  Really wishing I could revert to 1.01 to see if I have the same issues.

Is your 343 no longer pingable when this occurs?  How do you know HDD activity has ceased if the display is in sleep mode?

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:55:03 AM »

Does that Beyond Compare utility come on the CD with the 343?  I never even opened my CD.

I have my OLED timeout set to 10 seconds.  I have copied almost 500GB of large and small files to the 343 (firmware 1.02) over a gigabit network and there were no timeouts or interruptions of the copy process.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses,

Beyond Compare 2 (BC2) is made by Scooter Software (http://www.scootersoftware.com). 

I've done some more testing and it seems like the problem manifests itself on files over 24GB in size.  Using a Windows Explorer copy, the DNS-343 stalls and the standard Explorer copy/lost connection error occurs.

When using BC2, the copy progress halts and restarts copying the file the moment I press the 'Next' button on the unit.

I'm running over Gig without Jumbo Frames; I've changed the OLED timeout from 5 minutes to 15 minutes (max) to confirm the anomally and sure enough ... it stalls out a few minutes into the OLED screensaver activity.

It's almost behaving like some kind of resource 'leak' although I can't say for certain - would really love to see what's in the log at that point in time ...

*hint* *hint* *hint* *hint* *hint*

Cheers,

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »

That's very interesting.  My latest lockup occurred ~15gb into a copy of 100+ files of varying sizes.  Prior to that I had copied ~80gb to it in batches of 2-8gb (max) without issue.

What is your RAID config?  EXT2 or EXT3?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:14:45 PM »

I chose EXT3 for stability.