• March 28, 2024, 05:01:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Firmware update??  (Read 31897 times)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Firmware update??
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »

I am sorry but I do not have access to any information regarding firmware development.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mlarma

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »

Then you have provided no value.  Personally, our main media boxes are the PS3 and Xbox360.  We use the PS3 Media Server to power those and the DSM-520.  The 520 is not in the main room of the house due to limitations mentioned before.  A better UI would go a long way and seeing a full title of something would be fantastic if it weren't something that I get anyway on my other two consoles.  Also use PlayOn and it works very well with the 520 too, although the PS3 is still the winner in this category hands down for me.  Just scroll the title or release the source code and we'll figure it out ourselves and do it.  If we're being abandoned, at least give us that.  The DSM folks need to take note of how things are going in DNS-321 land where the users are involved in the beta process.  Smart move there...here...well, not so much.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 04:20:02 PM »

Hey ECF,

Is firmware development a top secret at D-Link?

You say you are a Technical Engineer, Global Moderator, Level 8 Member.

Do you work for D-Link or are you just a free lance Technical Engineer?

If you actually work for D-Link and are the main support in this forum we can only assume you would have access to information regarding firmware development or to some that has that access. The problems and limitations people encounter with any device that is powered by firmware may be directly related to the firmware.

If you you do not have any access to what is going on with the firmware development how can you fully support this product?

Is it at all possible for you to communicate with someone who has access to firmware development and relay that info back to the end users that are asking about it?

knsdye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »

I am sorry but I do not have access to any information regarding firmware development.

ECF,
In the posting by pjb2400 "DSM-520 Sharing in WMP 11" a year ago, you state
"As for the Album art we will be releasing firmware to better implement the album art feature with the DSM-520."

What has changed recently keeping you from access to this kind of information, and is there a forum/format we should pursue?

cfreund

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »

It appears that D-Link has not released a new version of firmware for the DSM-520 for over a year now (Firmware     1.06.01  - 4/22/2008).  Given the significant number of issues and requested features that can be found on this board, I would have thought that we would have seen a new release within the last 12 months.  Can any of the D-Link folks on this board comment on the future support and plans for the DSM-520?  I am starting to become concerned that I may now have a dead-end product.  We are beginning to see a number alternative options from other companies and I would like to know what the future holds from D-Link.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »

I am sorry but I have not been provided details on future plans of this device at this time. I know that there are alternative options from other companies D-Link too have release other device since the DSM-520 was developed. We have release the DSM-510, DSM-330 and DSM-750 which provides an improved chipset and many more features and supported media formats on the DSM-330 and 750.

Bushwacr

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

I am sorry but I have not been provided details on future plans of this device at this time. I know that there are alternative options from other companies D-Link too have release other device since the DSM-520 was developed. We have release the DSM-510, DSM-330 and DSM-750 which provides an improved chipset and many more features and supported media formats on the DSM-330 and 750.

So basically your telling us to go buy another Dlink product you guys don't support from reading the other threads.

The 750 requires Vista and is a media extender.  The local big box won't even sell it anymore.

Are there any other sources for help with this product?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »

The Media Center Extender is a feature and The DSM-750 support Windows XP and Vista.

Tigrman699

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »

To all those here who are thinking about upgrading from their DSM 520 to the 750, I strongly suggest you read my comments (and ECF's responses) posted in the DSM 750 section before you make your purchase.   The DSM 750, quite simply, does not handle .mkv or .h264 files in a wireless environment the way Dlink would like you to think it does.   

buzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »

Thank you Tigrman699 for that info. Popcorn anyone? :(

Bushwacr

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »

To all those here who are thinking about upgrading from their DSM 520 to the 750, I strongly suggest you read my comments (and ECF's responses) posted in the DSM 750 section before you make your purchase.   The DSM 750, quite simply, does not handle .mkv or .h264 files in a wireless environment the way Dlink would like you to think it does.   

I'm not sure upgrading from one unsupported product to another unsupported product is gonna happen.  Now for alternatives.  I use Playon and the Popcorn doesn't work well with it supposedly.

The mods are useless on here.

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »

Hey all,

Something to check out is the LG BD390.  It is a bluray player and media lounge all in one.  Looks pretty cool, might be a good alternative.

fredpb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »

Roku makes a box that runs Netflix perfectly, and Amazon VOD.  It has always worked for me, unlike the 520.

Perski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »

I agree, there is no way I will get another DLink device if this is how it goes with them. A year later and then the new device will cease to work as well?!

I'm looking in to run TVersity with my 520 and/or PlayOn, which both hopefully will run fine for a while. At the time they don't work on the 520, and I still haven't gotten any updates from DLink, I will look in other places for a solution and most likely won't ever look back for a DLink solution ever again.

I hope all DLink officials understand the importance of this!? My, and I'm sure everybody elses, previous experience with you will affect me/us 110% for any future purchases! How well you handle this is your biggest advertisment for both your current and new customers!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »

I agree, there is no way I will get another DLink device if this is how it goes with them. A year later and then the new device will cease to work as well?!

I'm looking in to run TVersity with my 520 and/or PlayOn, which both hopefully will run fine for a while. At the time they don't work on the 520, and I still haven't gotten any updates from DLink, I will look in other places for a solution and most likely won't ever look back for a DLink solution ever again.

I hope all DLink officials understand the importance of this!? My, and I'm sure everybody elses, previous experience with you will affect me/us 110% for any future purchases! How well you handle this is your biggest advertisment for both your current and new customers!

What seems to be the problem here? Im not clear on the issue you are having..It was all working fine then stopped all of a sudden? I have not seen any of your posts stating any issues with Playon or TVersity just the fact that it costs money and you would like Netflix incorporated into the DSM-520 itself and not have to pay for playon. I use TVersity daily with my DSM-520 and have never had a problem and Playon very often and it always seems to work great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3