• March 28, 2024, 09:46:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problem with VLAN on the DGS-1100-24p  (Read 7636 times)

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
Problem with VLAN on the DGS-1100-24p
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »

Hello I have a big problem with create VLAN 802.1Q. I have DGS-1100-08 and in this model I can create VLAN and every think working fine. I need to set the exact same VLANs on the 1100-24 model and I have problem
On the 1100-08 i have
VID 1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1,eth2,eth3,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8  Tagged VLAN Ports - emtpy
VID 30 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 40 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth4,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

PVID eth1-1, eth2-1 eth3-1, eth4-50,eth5-1, eth6-1 , eth7-1, eth8-1

Could you help me ?
Zbyszek

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: Problem with VLAN on the DGS-1100-24p
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »

Hi,

using this and that configuration example for DGS-1100 and DGS-1510 (which uses similar VLAN configuration semantics) in addition to the corresponding manuals, I'd suggest you configure ports as follows:

Access ports for VLAN 1 (the equivalent to ports eth1-eth3 of DGS-1100-08):

VLAN Mode:          Access
Acceptable Frame:   Untagged Only
Ingress Checking:   Enabled
VID(1-1094):        1

Trunk ports (the equivalent to port eth4 of DGS-1100-08):

VLAN Mode:          Trunk
Acceptable Frame:   Tagged Only
Action:             Add
Allowed VLAN Range: 50

(Comment: This is not exactly the same as for port eth4 at your DGS-1100-08, because incoming untagged frames will be discarded, whereas they are forwarded to VLAN 50 at your DGS-1100-08 due to the PVID=50 setting)

Hybrid ports (the equivalent to ports eth5-eth8 of DGS-1100-08):

VLAN Mode:          Hybrid
Acceptable Frame:   Admit All
VID(1-4094):        1
Action:             Add (or "Tagged" if "Add" isn't available)
Allowed VLAN Range: 1,30,40,50

PT

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:42:46 PM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »

Hi
Thank you for help.
I found a solution for eth4 by trial and test.

I set eth4
First step
Acceptable Frame:   Untagged only
Ingress Checking:   Disabled
VID(1-4094):        50
Action:             Tagged

The eth4 is set:
NativeVLAN:  50
Untag:   1
Tagged:  50
Ingres: Disabled
Accept: Untagged Only

In this configuration I gets the address from DHCP according to VLAN50

Second step
VID(1-4094):        1
Action:             Remove
Allowed VLAN Range: 1

In this configuration I dont gets the address from DHCP according to VLAN50

Third step

The eth4 is set:
Untag:   -

In this configuration I gets the address from DHCP according to VLAN50

What is the difference between step one and three that both configurations work ( Untag: 1 or empty )  ??

Zbyszek

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »

Hi again,

I'm a bit unclear about what your goals are:

Will switch DGS-1100-24 replace the former one DGS-1100-08, because you need 24 ports instead of 8 ports only?
Or will switch DGS-1100-24 be used in addition to switch DGS-1100-08 in order to extend the port numbers to a total of 24+8=32?
If so, are both switches interconnected to each other to form a switch fabric, and which ports are used for coupling in this case (probably via one or more of ports eth5-eth8 of DGS-1100-08)?

What is special about port eth4 (both at switch DGS-1100-08 and DGS-1100-24)? From your configuration given for port eth4 at DGS-1100-08 I'd conclude that it is plugged to some VLAN capable device that sends and reveives frames tagged for VID 50 only. No untagged frames occur at that port (neither sent nor received) and your setting PVID=50 for this port is just because the configuration GUI demands some value here -  it's meaningless.

Hence I don't understand why you experimented with hybrid mode for port eth4 at switch DGS-1100-24 just to produce some configuration similar to port eth4 at DGS-1100-08? You don't need a native VLAN of value 50, hence my suggestion to configure port eth4 for VLAN mode "Trunk" should be sufficient.

But nevertheless your experiments show how "strange" this D-Link style of VLAN configuration and the logic behind it is. For example, receiving tagged frames regardless of setting the "Acceptable Frame Type" to "Untagged Only" seems to work only due to the simultaneous disabling of "Ingress checking".

What is the difference between step one and three that both configurations work ( Untag: 1 or empty )  ??

Well, both configurations work because you only need tagged VLAN 50 (see my remarks above) irrespective of any untagged frames that might be allowed (as in your first case "Untag: 1") or not (as in your last case "Untag: empty"). The only important thing is that you can send and receive frames tagged with VID 50 at port eth4 which again stresses my suggestion to configure this port for VLAN Mode "Trunk" as described in my first post.

PT
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:21:12 AM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »

Hi
I have network with mix DGS-1100 ( 05,08,16 nad 24 )
DGS-24 is main switch. Eth5-8 from DGS-24 is connected to other DGS-1100-08 x2 and AccessPoint x 2 ( with 4 SSID -on separate VLANs).
 On the next switch DGS1100-08 ( Eth5-8 from DGS-08 is connected to DGS-1100-24 x1, DGS-1100-08 x 1  and AccessPoint x 2 ( with 4 SSID -on separate VLANs)
To the Eth4 on the both switch is connected PC ( it must working with the same network - VID50) and it must be separate from other LAN

I tested Hybrid because I was not sure if trunk will work when I connect to the eth4 PC (without VID50 assignment on the network card) and not another switch.
I tested before and after posting on the forum, before your answer.

The whole configuration I had prepared and tested for GDS-1100-08 and I was surprised that in the same series of switches in the DGS-1100-16 or 24 the VLAN configuration is so different.

Thank you again for the explanation

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:20 AM »

To the Eth4 on the both switch is connected PC ( it must working with the same network - VID50) and it must be separate from other LAN

I tested Hybrid because I was not sure if trunk will work when I connect to the eth4 PC (without VID50 assignment on the network card) and not another switch.

If so, why not just configure ports eth4 to be access ports for VID 50 and leave the PCs' network cards unconfigured for VLAN?

At DGS-1100-24:
VID(1-1094):        50

At DGS-1100-08:
VID  1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1,eth2,eth3,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8  Tagged VLAN Ports - emtpy
VID 30 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty                             Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 40 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty                             Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth4                                Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

Merry Xmas!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:55:16 AM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

Hi
I checked your suggestion regarding VID 50 configuration and it works properly on both DGS-1100-24 and DGS-1100-08.

How correctly should be set the eth5-eth8 ports to allow all VLANs pass on the DGS-1100-24 - hybrid or trunk ? (all communication between switches)

Now I have on the eth4-eth8 :
NativeVLAN:  1
Hybrid Untag:   1
Hybrid Tagged:  30,40,50
Ingres: Enabled
Accept: Admit All

Zbyszek

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:40 AM »

Hi,

you could select hybrid as well as trunk! In general in hybrid mode all VLANs pass in tagged form except for the so called native VLAN which is transmitted untagged (and you can have exactly one native VLAN at all). In contrast in trunk mode there is no native VLAN and all VLANs without any exception are transmitted in tagged form.

Your present configuration at both switch types (DGS-1100-24 as well as DGS-1100-08) corresponds to the hybrid mode, where frames for VLANs 30,40,50 are transmitted in tagged form and frames for VLAN 1 (the native VLAN) are transmitted untagged (at DGS-1100-08 due to the configuration of PVID=1 for ports eth5-eth8 [that is for ingress: received untagged frames are assigned to VLAN 1] and their untagged membership of VID 1 [that is for egress: frames belonging to VLAN 1 are sent untagged out these ports]).

Alternatively, if you want to select trunk mode, for DGS-1100-08 you should define some "dummy"-VLAN, say VID=99 and configure the following:

At DGS-1100-08:
VID  1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1,eth2,eth3   Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 30 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty          Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 40 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty          Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth4             Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
PVID eth1-1, eth2-1 eth3-1, eth4-50, eth5-99, eth6-99 , eth7-99, eth8-99

At DGS-1100-24 for ports eth5-eth8:
VLAN Mode:          Trunk
Acceptable Frame:   Tagged Only
Action:             Add
Allowed VLAN Range: 1,30,40,50

This is what VID 99 is good for at switch DGS-1100-08: For pure trunk mode you would like to configure PVID=none for ports eth5-eth8 because ingress no untagged frames should occur. But since the GUI requires some value here, just enter the dummy VID 99 (you have to create beforehand). If you don't use VID 99 for purposes other than to be PVID dummy value, its function is: If it ever happened (it shouldn't) that an untagged frame enters one of the ports eth5-eth8, it would be assigned VID 99 but never leave the switch, hence VID 99 is a "sink to nowhere".

Finally, whatever your choice is, you could combine the selected VLAN mode with link aggregation in order to obtain a higher data transfer rate between coupled switches. In this case you have to ensure that ports combined to a link aggregation group (LAG) have to feature the exact same VLAN configuration in order to be valid for the LAG as a whole.

PT
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:29:54 AM by PacketTracer »

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:48:33 AM »

Hi once more,

I'd like to comment your statement in a former post:

I was surprised that in the same series of switches in the DGS-1100-16 or 24 the VLAN configuration is so different.

As far as I can see the DGS-1100-08 style of VLAN configuration is probably the former one and used in most D-Link switch models. But in my opinion it is not the best one and the intended logic behind it is all but self-explanatory or even misleading. The configuration style is “VLAN centric” in that you see a VLAN as the primary object that is assigned attributes like the set of ports that may be “tagged members”, “untagged members” or “not members” of the VLAN under consideration.

Here the differences between tagged and untagged members of a VLAN are a source of misconception because tagged membership is symmetric considering ingress and egress (frames tagged with the VID are sent in _and_ out the port) whereas untagged membership is asymmetric in that it only covers the egress: Untagged membership just means that frames belonging to the VLAN are sent untagged out a port that is an  untagged member of the VLAN – and nothing is said about the ingress! The ingress is governed by the PVID setting of a port: Any untagged frame that enters the switch via a port is assigned the VLAN that is configured as the port’s PVID value. Hence, for an “access port” for a specific VID you have to configure egress (the port’s untagged membership of the VID) and ingress (the port’s PVID=VID) seperately, while for a “trunk port” for a specific VID both egress and ingress are configured in a single step (the port’s tagged membership of the VID).

In contrast the DGS-1100-24 style of VLAN configuration is “port centric” in that you see a port as the primary object that is assigned attributes like a VLAN configuration. This is the usual way also implemented in other vendors’ switch models. It is more intuitive and fail-safe because due to the missing of the PVID settings untagged frames are handled symmetrically: For both “access ports” and the “native VLAN” of hybrid ports the VID setting now covers both ingress and egress. Even more for “trunk ports” you don’t have to think about untagged frames (and configure “dummy” VLANs like with DGS-1100-08, see my last post).

But nevertheless, I think the D-Link implementation of this new style is misleading in another way: What at all is the use of the configuration settings about “Acceptable Frame” and “Ingress Checking”? If I set the VLAN Mode to “Access” (“Trunk”, “Hybrid”) the only useful setting for “Acceptable Frame” is “Untagged Only” (“Tagged only”, “Admit All”) and of course I would always set “Ingress Checking” to “Enabled” in order to enforce the expected behaviour. Hence both configuration settings are redundant (because already defined uniquely by setting the desired VLAN mode). Even more they are misleading because they might provoke an unpredictable behaviour by setting them to “unexpected” values.

Finally and needless to say: D-Link does not excel in writing high quality manuals (with few exceptions) for enterprise customers, that explain the details behind those settings, that are not self-explanatory due to general knowledge (e.g. about VLANs). For example, the manual is quiet about what “Ingress Checking” exactly does. If you are lucky you may find explanations in some good quality CLI manuals for different devices, but you are left unclear if they match that same feature of your device. For example I found this definition of ingress filtering for (end of sale) DWS-3000 series: “If ingress filtering is disabled, frames received with VLAN IDs that do not match the VLAN membership of the receiving interface are admitted and forwarded to ports that are members of that VLAN.”

PT
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:07:14 AM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »

Hi
Thank you for such a thorough analysis of VLAN

I have one more question. As you known from previous post I have set VID 50 " ( it must working with the same network - VID50) and it must be separate from other LAN"

DGS-1100-24

The eth4 is set:

DGS-1100-08
VID 1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1,eth2,eth3,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8  Tagged VLAN Ports - emtpy
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth4,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

The comunication in this VLAN work only for Computers ( PING working ). If I connected Printer to this port I can't comunication betwen PC and Printer ( the printer gets the address from DHCP )
I do not understand why. ???

If I change settings for ports as you suggested. Everything works fine, both communication between computers and printers

At DGS-1100-24:

At DGS-1100-08:
VID  1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1,eth2,eth3,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8  Tagged VLAN Ports - emtpy
VID 30 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty                             Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 40 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty                             Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth4                                Tagged VLAN Ports - eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

Zbyszek

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »

Hi,

unfortunately you didn't provide enough information:

Which device is connected to where (PC to eth4 of DGS-1100-08 or DGS-1100-24? Printer to eth4 of DGS-1100-08 or DGS-1100-24?) ?
What does the VLAN configuration of the PC's network card look like in both cases (your versus my configuration): the same (how?) or different (how in both cases)? Is the printer's network interface configurable for VLAN? If yes: What does the VLAN configuration of the printer's network interface look like in both cases: the same (how?) or different (how in both cases)?

In general data transport through the switches should work independent of the type of devices (e.g. PC or printer) plugged to its ports. Hence, if you observe a different communication behaviour depending on a PC or printer plugged to the same port alternatively, the VLAN configuration of the PC's and printer's network interface might be different.

To be honest, for your configuration of port eth4 at DGS-1100-24 ...

The eth4 is set:

... I don't know what the result really means (I guess you want to achieve the behaviour of a trunk port for VID50?):

What does a nativeVLAN=50 mean, if there is no untagged VID 50, but only a tagged one? I never heard of a tagged native VLAN ...
On the other hand in ingress direction only untagged frames are allowed (Acceptable ...), but the port isn't configured for processing them.
Maybe due to the disabling of Ingress filtering the port in fact accepts frames tagged VID 50.

In the overall picture that results from these assumptions, ingress and egress only frames tagged VID=50 are possible, hence the NIC of a PC plugged to this port must be VLAN-aware and configured for VID 50.

Your "try and error" configuration above is a typical example for what I said in my last post: "If I set the VLAN Mode to “Access” (“Trunk”, “Hybrid”) the only useful setting for “Acceptable Frame” is “Untagged Only” (“Tagged only”, “Admit All”) and of course I would always set “Ingress Checking” to “Enabled” in order to enforce the expected behaviour. Hence both configuration settings are redundant (because already defined uniquely by setting the desired VLAN mode). Even more they are misleading because they might provoke an unpredictable behaviour by setting them to “unexpected” values."

PT
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:42:43 PM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 01:59:56 AM »

Once again

On the 1100-08 I had settings like this

VID 1 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8  Tagged VLAN Ports - emtpy
VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

PVID eth1-50, eth2-50 eth3-50, eth4-50,eth5-1, eth6-1 , eth7-1, eth8-1

eth1 - printer (without changing the VLAN settings on the network adapter)
eth2 - PC (without changing the VLAN settings on the network adapter)
eth3 - PC (without changing the VLAN settings on the network adapter)

DHCP working fine for PC and printer .Communication between computers is working correctly. Communication between PC and Printer don't work

When I change settings on the 1100-08 like this. All working fine
DHCP working fine for PC and printer .Communication between computers is working correctly. Communication between PC and Printer working correctly

VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4,eth5,eth6,eth7,eth8

the same situation occurs in DGS-1100-24

DGS-1100-24
eth1 - eth4

The eth1 - eth4 is set:

DHCP working fine for PC and printer .Communication between computers is working correctly. Communication between PC and Printer don't work

When I change settings on the 1100-24 like this. All working fine
DHCP working fine for PC and printer .Communication between computers is working correctly. Communication between PC and Printer working correctly

eth1- eth4

I do not understand why there is communication between the PC and it does not work between the PC and the printer. ???
Of course, I switched the devices to the correct configuration :)

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:29:23 AM »

... I don't either because I still don't understand what you are doing.

• Your second (working) DGS-1100-08 configuration is the same as the first (non working) one. Probably a copy&paste error.
  • When you write for PC and printer "without changing the VLAN settings on the network adapter" that doesn't tell, how VLAN configuration is actually set.
  • And most confusing "Of course, I switched the devices to the correct configuration" - hm ... and what is that "correct" configuration in all these cases?

All I can say is, that the non working configuration for DGS-1100-08 ...

... is not an ideal one, because due to PVID eth1-50, eth2-50 eth3-50, eth4-50 indeed untagged frames may enter these switch ports and are assigned VID 50, but egress frames belonging to VLAN 50 are only sent out these ports tagged with VID 50 (due to the setting "VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  - empty  Tagged VLAN Ports - eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4, ..."). Hence a plugged device with no VLAN configuration will have communication problems, only VLAN-aware devices configured for VID 50 will work at these ports.

I think we have a working configuration, don't we?

PT
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:34:02 AM by PacketTracer »

mazcom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »

Hi
I copy/paste the wrong configuration

DGS-1100-08

When I change settings on the 1100-08 like this. All working fine

On my PC in the network card ( Intel)  I have only " Packet priority and VLAN Enabled" - there is no possibility to set a specific VLAN there
On the Printer I also did not set up any VLAN

The correct configuration is

DGS-1100-08

DGS-1100-24
eth1- eth4

The configuration given above works correctly. Thank You

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 05:58:11 AM »

Hi again.

as you can see from DGS-1100-24, configuring ports 1-4 to be access ports for VID 50 works fine. Hence, why don't you configure ports 1-4 of DGS-1100-08 to be access ports for VID 50 either?

{ I guess, but ain't sure, devices like PCs and printers shall live in VLAN 50? It's a bit confusing, because in the very first configuration given in your first post, as well as in the "non working" scenario of your last post, they seem to live in VID 1 for ports 1-3, only port 4 was special and should be used for VID 50? The PCs and printers at ports 1-3 should have got IP addresses of different IP networks in the "non working" compared to the "working" scenario, because in the "non working" case they should end up to belong to VLAN 1 whereas in the "working" scenario they should belong to VLAN 50 - does this apply? }

If I only look at ports 1-4 for DGS-1100-08 this would mean:

VID 50 Untagged VLAN Ports  eth1, eth2, eth3, eth4
PVID eth1-50, eth2-50 eth3-50, eth4-50

Btw. my Windows PC happens to have an Intel network card either - besides the tab where you can configure "Packet priority and VLAN" its setting dialogue window provides another tab where you can add a VLAN and configure a name and ID for it (but please don't do that, because you mustn't define any VLAN in order to work with switch access ports)*). I wonder why your Intel card worked with ports you configured to be a trunk, I can only guess that the setting "Packet priority and VLAN enabled" without configuring a VLAN might mean, that the PC allows to receive tagged frames (in your case VID 50 in your "working" scenario for DGS-1100-08 you called "correct") and in this case also sends frames tagged with the same VID it detected in the receiving frame. But even if the NIC would send untagged frames (after having received frames tagged for VID 50), this would work, because you set PVID 50 for the switch port in the "correct" scenario. Maybe you better set "Packet priority and VLAN disabled" to prevent such a behaviour.

*) Maybe you have to install a "better" (vendor based) driver for the NIC in order to use the card's full feature set (I have Intel driver "Intel Network Connection" installed).

Our discussion seems to go in circles, because I think we already had that (configuring access ports), at least for port 4. See my third post and your reply to it.

PT

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:31:54 PM by PacketTracer »