• April 28, 2024, 07:41:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is the v1.32 build 03 firmware based on the near final 802.11n standards?  (Read 15816 times)

chaicka

• Level 2 Member

Based on the near-finalized 802.11n standards, the speed is up to 600Mbps. So, are the draft 802.11n products (we the consumers invested in) upgradable to the final 802.11n standards?

Source: Wired

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member

So, are the draft 802.11n products (we the consumers invested in) upgradable to the final 802.11n standards?
Yes and no  ;D

the standard says "Up to 600 Mbps"
DIR-655 will only offer up to 300 Mbps but as far as I know it will also be compatible with 11N.

Following the report, the first devices fullfilling all possibilities and speeds of 11N will be delivered next year.

But the wired report also states that you need clients supporting this standard. Our wireless clients today are also not capable of this.

So I think D-Link will update the firmware to final 11N but you can't expect all features possible with 11N.

But it is always the same: If you by a new device, hurry up to bring it home before it will become outdated  ;)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member

It's out dated befor you get the shrink rap off :-\

chaicka

• Level 2 Member

Yes and no  ;D

the standard says "Up to 600 Mbps"
DIR-655 will only offer up to 300 Mbps but as far as I know it will also be compatible with 11N.

Following the report, the first devices fullfilling all possibilities and speeds of 11N will be delivered next year.

But the wired report also states that you need clients supporting this standard. Our wireless clients today are also not capable of this.

So I think D-Link will update the firmware to final 11N but you can't expect all features possible with 11N.

But it is always the same: If you by a new device, hurry up to bring it home before it will become outdated  ;)

In short, hold off all purchases of 802.11n devices (if it's not of great urgency) until next year, else risk a EOL/obsoleted within a short timeframe, thus poor ROI.

I have full D-Link devices, from wireless routers to client adapters, thus are all these going to get a bump in firmware and/or drivers to match up the final 802.11n standards? Or I will need to re-invest in new devices just to get the final 802.11n?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member

Quote from: chaicka
In short, hold off all purchases of 802.11n devices (if it's not of great urgency) until next year, else risk a EOL/obsoleted within a short timeframe, thus poor ROI.
This is the normal way of life for every part of electronics and does not depend on a new 11N standards.
If you think so, you'll never by new stuff because it is obsolete in a short time frame.

It is 2 and a half years now people told me not to buy a DIR-655 because there is no standard for 11N.
It is running fine up to now and will do so for the next years but nevertheless I will buy the "next generation" because I want to work with the newest devices.
I am very curious  ;D

Quote from: chaicka
I have full D-Link devices, from wireless routers to client adapters, thus are all these going to get a bump in firmware and/or drivers to match up the final 802.11n standards? Or I will need to re-invest in new devices just to get the final 802.11n?
Most current devices will be updated and the others will work even without the final drivers. Why not ?
There are only minor, more cosmetic changes from the last draft to the final.

11N has a wide range of regulations and a wider range of what is possible, so there will be i.e. 300 Mbps 11N, 450 Mbps 11N and 600 Mbps 11N depending on the hardware you use.
All is full compatible with the final 11N.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

If you have a working network now, it doesn't really matter what happens in the future.  Just keep what you have and run it as is.  Granted you may not have the newest shiniest stuff, but if it works...

Demonized

• Level 4 Member

N standard: up to 600 Mbps, the hardware/chipsets that support this aren't around though.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member

I think that (unfortunately for the average consumer) there will be a lot of product confusion with Wireless-N when products based on the final standard come out. 

When you consider the different speed possibilities, different antennae configurations, different WNICs (don't get me started on why Intel calls the 4965AGN a 300mbit adapter), different "addon technologies" like beamforming... not to mention what you'd call that product:

Wireless-N 600 Router with BeamFlex™ 17-direction antenna
-or-
Wireless-N 300 Router with 2x2 antenna

<sigh> I have no idea what our DIR-655s will do when the final spec is implemented in firmware.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member

Quote from: ttmcmurry
... I have no idea what our DIR-655s will do when the final spec is implemented in firmware.
They will work as advertised like before. Each of the speeds is backwards compatible.
So there should be no problem.

Perhaps some 11b and WEB fans will have problems as they are no part of 11N.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member

No real difference to be noticed. The final N specs (max. 600 Mbps) are ultimately by the hardware used and the 655 chipset clearly does not support that. Taken the B and & WEP exclusion from final N there might be some G/N improvement, but dont expect 'miracles. IMHO

wiak

• Level 2 Member

DIR-655 is Draft 2.0, so its near final spec
dont trust intel, even their so called 300mbps cards are 150mbps max as they only support 20mhz not 40mhz ;)

btw client cards will only need a new driver i asume ;)

chaicka

• Level 2 Member

Not true for DIR-655. It was advertised (major focus point) as FREE UPGRADE to ratified final 802.11n be it software-based or hardware replacement.

Here is the official statement:

D-Link will continue to improve our Draft N series with firmware upgrades. In the event that the firmware upgrade is unavailable, D-Link promise our customers who have purchased our Draft N series (DIR-655, DIR-635, DIR-615) before 29th Feb 2008, a hardware replacement*. This is our promise to customers, who have incurred a higher cost in adopting the draft N technology.

Firmware for Draft N Series :

DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
   DIR-635 Draft 802.11n Wireless Router
   DIR-615 Wireless N Router

* In the event that the model to replace is out of stock or unavailable, D-Link has the right to replace a different model with similar capability without prior notice or announcement.

This is the normal way of life for every part of electronics and does not depend on a new 11N standards.
If you think so, you'll never by new stuff because it is obsolete in a short time frame.

It is 2 and a half years now people told me not to buy a DIR-655 because there is no standard for 11N.
It is running fine up to now and will do so for the next years but nevertheless I will buy the "next generation" because I want to work with the newest devices.
I am very curious  ;D
Most current devices will be updated and the others will work even without the final drivers. Why not ?
There are only minor, more cosmetic changes from the last draft to the final.

11N has a wide range of regulations and a wider range of what is possible, so there will be i.e. 300 Mbps 11N, 450 Mbps 11N and 600 Mbps 11N depending on the hardware you use.
All is full compatible with the final 11N.

pbodq

• Level 2 Member

Not true for DIR-655. It was advertised (major focus point) as FREE UPGRADE to ratified final 802.11n be it software-based or hardware replacement.

Here is the official statement:

D-Link will continue to improve our Draft N series with firmware upgrades. In the event that the firmware upgrade is unavailable, D-Link promise our customers who have purchased our Draft N series (DIR-655, DIR-635, DIR-615) before 29th Feb 2008, a hardware replacement*. This is our promise to customers, who have incurred a higher cost in adopting the draft N technology.

Firmware for Draft N Series :

DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
   DIR-635 Draft 802.11n Wireless Router
   DIR-615 Wireless N Router

* In the event that the model to replace is out of stock or unavailable, D-Link has the right to replace a different model with similar capability without prior notice or announcement.

Could you tell me the source of this statement?

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member

Could you tell me the source of this statement?
Only applies to a select region in the asia-pacific.

But even then it is unclear whether the finalised specs do fulfill the conditions, since it only applies to new products.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member

I just posted about this in the dir-655 forum.. the 600 mbit service requires 2.4 & 5GHz bands to work in addition to a specific antenna configuration.  The 655 has only a 2.4 GHz tranceiver.. so with its 3x2 antenna configuration you'll get 300mbit out of it. 

Personally I don't have a problem with this.  D-Link has offered dualband routers & WNICs for well over a year now at a higher price point.  Let me re-emphasize what I've said on countless posts:

You get what you pay for
Pages: [1] 2