The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-825

300Mbps on 802.11n 2.4Ghz

<< < (3/4) > >>

Patrick533:

--- Quote from: SBMongoos on October 17, 2011, 11:26:59 AM ---Personally,  I'm glad you are here and that was extremely helpful and I understand it.  It's clear that in my townhouse community I will not get the 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz due to overlapping channels and the good neighbor policy with 802.11n.  I remember when I had an old dual channel DLink DIR-784 router some time ago that used an Atheros chip that could do 108Mbps on 802.11g.  But I also know that it was said to cause interference for others.

Edit: I do find it ODD however that I can connect to my neighbor at 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz and he's using channel 6 that's VERY crowded. Although it was temporary it seems.

As mentioned I can use 5Ghz on the laptop. I don't understand why media devices don't have 5Ghz as this has been a selling point for those selling WiFi routers with 5Ghz.  To move media over to 5Ghz.  But, you cannot when your media device only has 2.4Ghz.  Was hoping to tweak the 2.4Ghz to 300Mbps for my Boxee Box. Again,  all seems to be working anyway. But... blah blah (LOL).

--- End quote ---

Well, there are routers out there that you can force 40Mhz bandwidth on and run at 300Mbps, regardless of how many people that are on the frequency. I have one(actually 2) and you could buy one just as easy as I did. They also put out a bunch more power then the D-Link ones, but honestly I like the D-Link quality. The best way to go is hard wire if you really need the bandwidth. Some of the older routers too before the good neighbor policy should work. I think maybe even DD-WRT ignores the good neighbor policy, but I could be wrong.

In the end, one way or another with 2.4Ghz WiFi and Cordless phones and 5Ghz WiFi and Cordless phones, the government is going to have to kick down some more spectrum for us people at home. Speeds are going to keep getting faster, and the faster the data rate, the more spectrum you need.

Also, that is one thing I forgot to mention, 2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause you to NOT be able to use 300Mbps too(they cause interference). At home I use 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz Cordless phones, DECT phones are also a good option, they used to be 1900Mhz but I think they have new frequencies on newers models. Lets NOT forget microwave ovens, they are at 2.45Ghz and destroy the WiFi band. That’s why they call it the ISM band. Industrial, Scientific, Medical, with no license below 4 watts ERP.

Also a big difference with the routers I have at home that will run 40Mhz all day long. No IPV6, that is why I bought my 825 and use it 100% of the time, I can leave my 825 on for months on end without a hitch. Don't know yet if the other 2 routers will make it through a Cali summer like my D-Link has.

SBMongoos:

--- Quote from: Patrick533 on October 17, 2011, 12:56:49 PM ---Well, there are routers out there that you can force 40Mhz bandwidth on and run at 300Mbps, regardless of how many people that are on the frequency. I have one(actually 2) and you could buy one just as easy as I did. They also put out a bunch more power then the D-Link ones, but honestly I like the D-Link quality. The best way to go is hard wire if you really need the bandwidth. Some of the older routers too before the good neighbor policy should work. I think maybe even DD-WRT ignores the good neighbor policy, but I could be wrong.

In the end, one way or another with 2.4Ghz WiFi and Cordless phones and 5Ghz WiFi and Cordless phones, the government is going to have to kick down some more spectrum for us people at home. Speeds are going to keep getting faster, and the faster the data rate, the more spectrum you need.

Also, that is one thing I forgot to mention, 2.4Ghz cordless phones can cause you to NOT be able to use 300Mbps too(they cause interference). At home I use 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz Cordless phones, DECT phones are also a good option, they used to be 1900Mhz but I think they have new frequencies on newers models. Lets NOT forget microwave ovens, they are at 2.45Ghz and destroy the WiFi band. That’s why they call it the ISM band. Industrial, Scientific, Medical, with no license below 4 watts ERP.

Also a big difference with the routers I have at home that will run 40Mhz all day long. No IPV6, that is why I bought my 825 and use it 100% of the time, I can leave my 825 on for months on end without a hitch. Don't know yet if the other 2 routers will make it through a Cali summer like my D-Link has.

--- End quote ---

Ya...have thought about DD-WRT but DLink routers can be a real pain to work with in regards to firmware at times. Had a few cases where I thought I bricked a couple of mine.  Came back the next day and got them up and running without a hitch. So I'm reluctant to try DD-WRT.

My cordless phone system is on the 5Ghz band.  Will replace them with DECT when have to.  I have not heard any issues between 5Ghz cordless phones and the WiFi 5Ghz.

But... since I'm in a townhouse it could also be that a neighbor on an adjoining wall may have 2.4Ghz phones and interfere with my DIR-825.  It's possible.

Patrick533:

--- Quote from: SBMongoos on October 17, 2011, 01:12:45 PM ---Ya...have thought about DD-WRT but DLink routers can be a real pain to work with in regards to firmware at times. Had a few cases where I thought I bricked a couple of mine.  Came back the next day and got them up and running without a hitch. So I'm reluctant to try DD-WRT.

My cordless phone system is on the 5Ghz band.  Will replace them with DECT when have to.  I have not heard any issues between 5Ghz cordless phones and the WiFi 5Ghz.

But... since I'm in a townhouse it could also be that a neighbor on an adjoining wall may have 2.4Ghz phones and interfere with my DIR-825.  It's possible.

--- End quote ---

Living in my last home was bad, I could not imagine a townhouse. There was no less then 30 routers Inssider found, a bunch were forced 300(270). I have never had a problem with my 5Ghz phone, I did with my 2.4 though. When I first moved into my home, there was 1, that is one WiFi node, 12 years later 30.
Also, the next city over offers free 2.4 WiFi. I literally could not make it 50 feet from my 2.4 without loosing it. Finally I was a bad neighbor and cranked up the power so high, no one could interfere. Since I have moved I have reduced the power. On guy kept following me from channel to channel on my AP at my previous home, trying to hack me I guess, there was alot of attempted accesses to my AP(flooded the logs). So I bought a directional antenna, cranked up the power and returned the favor with around 100K IP requests. He disappeared after that, so did the MAC address of his router. I don't look forward to leaving the "hills" where I live now and going back to the suburbs.

Hope everything works out.

SBMongoos:

--- Quote from: Patrick533 on October 17, 2011, 03:21:56 PM ---Living in my last home was bad, I could not imagine a townhouse. There was no less then 30 routers Inssider found, a bunch were forced 300(270). I have never had a problem with my 5Ghz phone, I did with my 2.4 though. When I first moved into my home, there was 1, that is one WiFi node, 12 years later 30.
Also, the next city over offers free 2.4 WiFi. I literally could not make it 50 feet from my 2.4 without loosing it. Finally I was a bad neighbor and cranked up the power so high, no one could interfere. Since I have moved I have reduced the power. On guy kept following me from channel to channel on my AP at my previous home, trying to hack me I guess, there was alot of attempted accesses to my AP(flooded the logs). So I bought a directional antenna, cranked up the power and returned the favor with around 100K IP requests. He disappeared after that, so did the MAC address of his router. I don't look forward to leaving the "hills" where I live now and going back to the suburbs.

Hope everything works out.

--- End quote ---

Well, when you size it up there's no real complaint.  Just trying to hit that top tier of what's possible.  As you read previously it's all working fine so...

One option, for the adventurous, would be to yank the WiFi card in the Boxee Box and put in a dual band card. You'd have to hack the Boxee software to get it to work with 5Ghz.  Here's a link for the tear down of the Boxee Box showing the WiFi card if you're curious (FurryNutz might get a kick out of this as this site also has images of a complete tear down of the Boxee Box).

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/boxee-box-d-link-teardown/489453?seq=33&tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-roto

Ryssen:
Where do  find the Short GI in DI 825?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version