• March 28, 2024, 10:08:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does this issue has something to do with the "Enable DNS Relay" option?  (Read 4491 times)

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas

Hi.

Today after 2+ days of the WiFi and the internet working fine along with the DAP-1360 extended range.
Something odd occurred.

I remotely connect via Logmein to my home laptop from work.
Everything was fine but suddenly the pages won't open, the WiFi adapter reported everything was fine and indeed I was still connected to my laptop remotely.

So to troubleshoot I ping www.google.com and www.opendns.com and got no response, even the ping could not be done and I have to cancel the command.

If if go to the DIR-827 management page, everyhing is fine and I was able to ping www.google.com www.opendns.com from the TOOLS > SYSTEM CHECK option, they responded my pings.

I thought it was only my computer, but my wife called me that she has also lost internet, she was connected to the WiFi with his iPhone and the connection was ok but she could not open any webpage.

So from my work computer I ping some websites like google and opendns to get the IP address.

Now with the IP addresses, I entered them on my home laptop browser and they open fine  :o

So my first guess was that there was a DNS issue going on.

my WiFi connection properties and the IP Config shows that my DNS servers are the Open DNS servers. (Which is fine since I manually entered them as primary and secondary DNS servers on my DIR-827)

I don't know what happened because for more than 2 days everything was fine, but now the DNS seem to nos resolve the name

So I decided to enable DNS Relay and rebooted the router (since this change required a reboot).

After that the DNS were resolving the names.

So my question is:

Does this issue has something to do with the "Enable DNS Relay" option? Because If I enter the IP address of the websites they load fine on my browser (and I was still connected remotely to my laptop)

For now I have enabled the DNS relay and hope that my Internet and WiFi keeps on working fine.

Any feedback, comment is welcome.

Regards

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas

Hi.

After enabling DNS Relay, aboit 8 hour passed and my Laptop  suddenly lost internet, it was still connected to the WiFi but appeared a yellow exclamation mark. It still had a valid IP but no Internet.

I don't know if enabling DNS Relay has something to do with this issue, but now I've disabled it again and changed the DNS server from the DIR-827 to point to my ONT GPON 2516 modem IP instead of the Open DNS Servers.

Hope that solves the issue  :'(

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas

Thanks for the info FurryNutz

But what is weird is that OpenDNS servers are one of the most reliable DNS servers on earth! And when my WiFi started to have that issue, from my work I was able to open OpenDNS web page and the OpenDNS servers responded my pings.

I'm starting to think that perhaps my issue is related to the WiFi security mode and/or Wireless standard (to use 802.11g instead of 802.11n) as stated in mi post:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=53589.0