• April 25, 2024, 02:07:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VPN on the DNS 320L?  (Read 17739 times)

beansontoast

• Level 1 Member
VPN on the DNS 320L?
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:57 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into buying one of these devices.

One thing I was hoping to use was VPN. Another is its ability to remotely sync folders (across a WAN or internet even).

Reason being, I want to join to a remote domain, map a share to that remote network, and allow the remote network to write to the share.

Alternatively, I was wondering what kind if functionality this device has for a remote file-synch of some kind.

Basically, the bottom line is that I want to use the D-Link as my own personal cloud storage, but it has to be remote. Not too interested in local backup as I already have that covered.

It would be good to hear from anyone out there who knows a bit about this device.
I did have a look at the manual but could not see any signs of VPN.

Over to you ...

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: VPN on the DNS 320L?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »

The NAS does not have any VPN functionality however, if you opt for a VPN router you then can tunnel in either as a VPN client or do a site to site tunnel. If you only really need access to the NAS you really would need a basic VPN router.

Alternatively if you just need FTP access you can just poke some holes through your existing firewall and use a secure FTP connection.

For remote backups you have several options:
- http/ftp downloads (from a server to your NAS)
- built-in ftp server (have a script, remote NAS or server to pull from this NAS via ftp)
- Remote backups (allows you to back up your ShareCenter to another ShareCenter, Linux Server or vice versa from a remote ShareCenter or Linux Server to your ShareCenter)
- Amazon S3 (cloud backup)

More information can be found in the product manual
ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DNS-320L/DNS-320L_MANUAL_1.20_EN.PDF

beansontoast

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »

Thanks Doc,

Correct me if I'm wrong -

My router does have full VPN capabilities.

However, will I not need VPN setting on my my remote 'target' device?

Thanks for the input. I will have to have a look at FTP/SFTP.

mmmmx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »

Doc was incorrect.

You can install VPN using add-on from the link below or install binaries files direct from the developer softhether.org

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=60792.0

It works well on my DNS-320L

ALEXB3ALE

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 04:35:24 AM »

Hi,

I appreciate that this thread is couple of months old but after trawling the web I thought I'd give it a go and hope that the post meets the forum criteria...

My home network is a Windows 8.1 pc, Windows 7 work laptop, Sky Hub SR102, DNS320L, iPhone 4S.

I am hoping to be able to access my home network over the internet from my laptop and iPhone e.g. PLEX, Transmission. As a separate activity, I was hoping to be able to the use SoftEther VPN client on my pc and/or laptop to connect to VPN Gate Public Relay Servers for safe web browsing.

I have installed SoftEther VPN server addon on DNS320L and SoftEther VPN client on my pc and laptop.

On SoftEther VPN server on DNS320L, I have tried to add a new Virtual HUB and a new port but "52 Not enough privileges." is returned so I have stuck with DEFAULT Virtual Hub and the default listener ports; TCP 442, 992, 1194, 6555.

On Sky Hub SR102, I read somewhere about adding port 1701 to Inbound and Outbound services. UPnP is enabled. DDNS is setup.

On SoftEther VPN on laptop, I have setup VPN Client Adaptor, populated Host Name (DDNS address), Port Number (tried above ports), Virtual Hub Name (DEFAULT), Direct TCP/IP Connection (No Proxy), User Authentication: Anonymous Authentication. When attempting to connect from my work network "(Error Code 1): Connection to the server failed" is returned.

It may well be that not all/part of what I am trying to achieve is possible or I am missing something(s) that is glaringly obvious.

In any case, please excuse my ignorance. I have tried to describe my setup/aim/steps taken to the best of my understanding. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex