• April 18, 2024, 07:52:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ftp can't read or transfer non-english files and directories  (Read 4101 times)

NeMeSiS

• Level 1 Member

Using the window explorer (XP & Vista), I can't read and transfer the non-english files/directories

But once I try to use ftp I have problem reading and transfering the non-english files/directories
Anything to resolve this  ???

Thx

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Ftp can't read or transfer non-english files and directories
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »

FTP only supports the ASCII character set, special characters are a no fly there.
non progredi est regredi

NeMeSiS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:13:17 AM »

FTP only supports the ASCII character set, special characters are a no fly there.
Hi Fatman

Thx, in the DNS-343 manual Pg 71 it reads;

By default the DNS-343 supports Unicode which is an industry standard allowing computers to consistently represent and manipulate text expressed in most of the world’s writing formats.

Anyway to go around this  ???
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:15:19 AM by NeMeSiS »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »

The device supports Unicode sure, but FTP (only one of the available protocols) was written before Unicode existed.  It supports ASCII only, and there is no real way around that.

ohh and to confirm was
Using the window explorer (XP & Vista), I can't read and transfer the non-english files/directories

supposed to be

Using the window explorer (XP & Vista), I can read and transfer the non-english files/directories

Because putting the FTP after it saying but then you can't, and trying to read via FTP (implying files are already there), makes me think that was a typo and my responses have been based on that assumption (we all know what happens when you assume).

Use SMB/CIFS or NFS.
non progredi est regredi

NeMeSiS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

The device supports Unicode sure, but FTP (only one of the available protocols) was written before Unicode existed.  It supports ASCII only, and there is no real way around that.
Looks like no choice :'(

Quote from: Fatman
Because putting the FTP after it saying but then you can't, and trying to read via FTP (implying files are already there), makes me think that was a typo and my responses have been based on that assumption (we all know what happens when you assume).

Use SMB/CIFS or NFS.

Sorry my bad
OK I mean using Window XP or Vista File Explorer I can read and also transfer the "non-English" files & directories to and from DNS-343 to my windows computers
But once I try to use FTP, I can't read the "non-English" files & directories and can't even ftp the files from the DNS-343

That's what I meant

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »

That is what I figured (and wrote my posts based on), sorry this didn't exactly work out for you.
non progredi est regredi

NeMeSiS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »

That is what I figured (and wrote my posts based on), sorry this didn't exactly work out for you.
No worries  :)