• March 28, 2024, 11:31:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cycling data on NAS  (Read 3756 times)

BeachDuc

• Level 1 Member
Cycling data on NAS
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:38 AM »

I know that there is a setting to cycle the data (ie delete the oldest file when the capacity is filled, to make room for a new file) on the SD card.  Is there a similar option for recording to a NAS?  I have spent ages getting my Apple Time Capsule set up as a NAS and couldn't see this option anywhere.  Ideally I don't want to rely on the SD card as: 1) it has a small capacity 2) it is easily sabotaged.  My Time Capsule is also set to back-up two computers so does not have infinite capacity but I don't want to have to manually delete files every week (or whatever).  They are likely to fill up as my family are in the house daily.  I am still working out how I want things to work but have decided that recording video on motion detection seems to be a compromise between lots of boring footage and having something to see when I get robbed!  I don't want to have to turn the camera on every time the house is unattended.  I will set up email notifications for the times we go away for a more extended period.

My hardware:
Computer - iMac
ADSL Router / NAS - Apple Time Capsule (500Gb), acting as DHCP server, fixed external IP address
Camera - DCS 2132L (in wireless mode), 32Gb SDHC card
I also have a Western Digital MyBook Studio II (1Tb + 1Tb) but I have lost the power cable

Help appreciated

BeachDuc

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cycling data on NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:35:13 AM »

Don't worry.  I think I have answered my own question.

I have switched the order of things around.  I'm recording the 'always on' recording to the Time Capsule (after all it has a much greater capacity than the SD card).  I hadn't noticed that the settings talked about a 'total cycling recording size', so that solves the issue on the network drive.  I'm hoping that the general setting of cycling data, once full, on the SD card will allow maintenance free storage of motion triggered videos on the SD card.