• April 23, 2024, 10:18:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Choppy Playback Xvid video DTS audio  (Read 7028 times)

SRPoint

Choppy Playback Xvid video DTS audio
« on: April 14, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »

Have a movie I muxed in avi container with xvid video and DTS 3/2/1 audio.  Playback is choppy with the movie stopping repeatedly and audio dropping.  Then it reestablishes itself only to repeat the choppiness.  Using GSPot is looks like my streaming rate is only 4mbps for video, DTS audio may be 500k+ mbps.  Xvid was encoded using up to 2 B-frames.  Would appreciate any help here as to what may be source of problem to short circuit getting to a fix.

skeil909

Re: Choppy Playback Xvid video DTS audio
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:05 PM »

Wired or wireless connection?

Have you tried it from USB Direct? (just to test)

I also assume it plays fine on your PC, right?

SRPoint

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:32:59 AM »

Should be getting a 16gb usb flash drive any day now and will load it onto that and see

SRPoint

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:33 AM »

Choppy using flash drive, so it looks like it either the Xvid encode or something to do with the DTS audio, will test video separately to see if it is the video.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

Try using a different audio selection. What software is used for recoding?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »

FYI, I have found that if I extract the DTS and convert it to AC3 then I don't have issues with choppy audio.  You loose a little quality but if you encode the AC3 at 640 kbps, then it is pretty good.

I used the following instructions to convert the DTS to AC3:

http://www.schudy.de/dts/dts2ac3-e.htm#graphedit

After it is converted, I use AVIMux to merge the video with the AC3 stream.

http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

Kolinb

SRPoint

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 01:59:04 PM »

Here is an update, I re-encoded the Xvid video in MeGUI with the >90% compression  HQ default settings and got the video to play fine when using a USB flash drive.  Streaming wirelessly from the PC I get choppy playback (lots of pauses) using either windows Vista directly as media server or running the DLink Media software or TVersity.  Problem using the flash drive is I get noticeable audio dropouts on the DTS audio stream.  Am going to try to convert the DTS to AC3 at a lower bitrate and see what happens.  Will also try to use VC-1 video with wma audio and see if I can get TVersity to transcode the wma 5.1 audio to something my receiver can understand in 5.1.  Seems like lots of folk are wrestling with this issue of getting a good quality video along with 5.1 audio.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »

AC3 with 5.1 seems to be the best bet. You will have the most luck using this setting for audio. If using HD video and high quality audio it requires more bandwidth so I would recommend a wired connection if you are currently using wireless.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream