• April 19, 2024, 02:17:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A telltale sign of things to come...?  (Read 5491 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
A telltale sign of things to come...?
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »

This was posted on the D'Link product website:

DNS-343-2TB 2TB 4-Bay Network Storage
This product is End of Life as of October 01, 2010 in the US. It may be available in other countries. We recommend that you check your local D-Link website.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:41:24 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
Re: A telltale sign of things to come...?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »

Feel burnt.  Media server never worked properly.

Thanks...

For inspiring me to
1) never use another D-link product
2) recommend at product house evaluation meetings at work NOT to use D-link as a vendor again (have chosen them historically)
3) always purchase any other brand when servicing own clientele
4) ensure go out of my way not to recommend wherever possible, by word of mouth etc etc

Spalf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:23:44 AM »

That will do me for Dlink also and my recommendations to everyone have gone out the window also. Very disappointed, but at the same time, it is what i have expected after the silence in this forum.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:23:06 AM »

I hear you.  It's absurd that D'Link is not responding to or placing any posts.  Don't they realize that the simple gesture of placing periodic posts - an act that would take no more than 45 seconds - would go a long way to maintaining good will and customer satisfaction?

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »

I could understand if they had a replacement product ready to go, but this is crap.

I too am getting rid of all DLink products in my house.

On one hand, the forum isn't the first line of support, and most of us on here treat it as such, but on the other, this is a crap way of dealing with this.

Saw it coming, not surprised, but I am surprised at how pissed I am that they did it.  Normally an end of life cycle is like no longer manufactured, then a few years later end of life, then a few year later end of support.

meqwerty

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:44:41 AM »

They didnt fix any of their major problems. Ignored us users. Sub-par support. Poor reliability. I will NEVER buy a dlink again.

emporium

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »

This was posted on the D'Link product website:

DNS-343-2TB 2TB 4-Bay Network Storage
This product is End of Life as of October 01, 2010 in the US. It may be available in other countries. We recommend that you check your local D-Link website.

Keep in mind that this is the DNS-343-2TB unit.. There were 2 bundled SKU available, one -2TB (2x1TB drives included) and one -4TB (4x1TB drives included).  There is no mention of being discontinued for the main standalone unit however (not even for the -4TB).  I suspect maybe the drives they were using have either gone obsolete, or there was just not a high enough demand for the -2TB.  Bundled units are hard for these companies, since the drive prices are dropping so fast, that they cannot prepurchase stock to include in bundles, since the drive prices will drop fast before these bundles hit the shelves.  It is similar to companies which used to include memory cards with digital cameras.  Memory prices plumetted, and they got stuck with units which included overpriced cards. Now you get a tiny one, just enough to prove t works..

I agree that it has been inactive for a while, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt for now, since they were trying to get the Boxee out before the holidays, so it was crunch time.

Hopefully it picks up...

Synology DS508 5x2TB (RAID 6) [Primary fileserver]
QNAP TS409 4x2TB (RAID 5) [ secondary fileserver/ backup ]
DNS-343 4x2TB HDD (RAID 5) [Video]
DNS-343 4x1TB HDD (RAID 5) [Audio]
DNS-323 2x1TB (recently retired) :)
Synology DS1010+ currently on order...;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 06:29:43 AM »

Keep in mind that this is the DNS-343-2TB unit.. There were 2 bundled SKU available, one -2TB (2x1TB drives included) and one -4TB (4x1TB drives included).  There is no mention of being discontinued for the main standalone unit however (not even for the -4TB).  I suspect maybe the drives they were using have either gone obsolete, or there was just not a high enough demand for the -2TB.  Bundled units are hard for these companies, since the drive prices are dropping so fast, that they cannot prepurchase stock to include in bundles, since the drive prices will drop fast before these bundles hit the shelves.  It is similar to companies which used to include memory cards with digital cameras.  Memory prices plumetted, and they got stuck with units which included overpriced cards. Now you get a tiny one, just enough to prove t works..

I agree that it has been inactive for a while, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt for now, since they were trying to get the Boxee out before the holidays, so it was crunch time.

Hopefully it picks up...

I've been saying the same thing about the Boxee Box launch (on other threads) for weeks now, but the complete lack of communication is quite disconcerting.