• March 28, 2024, 11:24:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PIR keeps sending email notications even though there is no motion  (Read 5407 times)

Edgemont

• Level 1 Member

I had my camera set previously with video motion detection and now with bright sun in the afternoon the shadows from nearby trees especially in breezy conditions causes pixel changes that is detected as motion. Set at 15% sensitivity and minimized highlighted areas for detection (driveway) and it would still send 100s of email alerts with pictures. I understand there is nothing to prevent this as it is picking up the pixel changes from the shadows caused by the moving branches within the area of detection.  My problem is when I tried setting to PIR only and it still thinks there is motion even at nights, I am running firmware 1.12 as well.

I am thinking there is an issue with the PIR or the camera is faulty as it should only be detecting motion when a heat source moves, can anyone provide any insight as to why the PIR setting is not working the way I think it should be.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Try lowest sensitivity setting to see. As a test, place the camera or point the camera to a different area with out sunlit moving shadows to see if the problem still continues.

Might try a factory reset then set up from scratch.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member

I had my camera set previously with video motion detection and now with bright sun in the afternoon the shadows from nearby trees especially in breezy conditions causes pixel changes that is detected as motion. Set at 15% sensitivity and minimized highlighted areas for detection (driveway) and it would still send 100s of email alerts with pictures. I understand there is nothing to prevent this as it is picking up the pixel changes from the shadows caused by the moving branches within the area of detection.  My problem is when I tried setting to PIR only and it still thinks there is motion even at nights, I am running firmware 1.12 as well.

I am thinking there is an issue with the PIR or the camera is faulty as it should only be detecting motion when a heat source moves, can anyone provide any insight as to why the PIR setting is not working the way I think it should be.

You've got the issue with video motion detection exactly right.  Unfortunately, even when it is working well, PIR is a limited alternative since its effective range is pretty small.  And even more unfortunately, I've found it to be pretty unreliable on these cameras generally.  I've got four cameras in various positions outdoors.  Three of them are good candidates for PIR detection but of those, it only works well -- few false positives -- on one of them.  The others I've had to use video motion detection and be very careful about the detection areas within the image to prevent the type of false positives you've noted.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

Hard to say without seeing what this camera is pointing at...

How much/fast is the temp changing overnight?

PIR is about 15 feet from all dlink documentation..

Edgemont

• Level 1 Member

The camera is pointed at a driveway and in pir setting it keeps sending false positives of motion even in both day and night conditions (almost every minute)and outdoor temperatures do not vary dramatically at all, even had the camera set to record video to see if perhaps there was something I was seeing in the pictures and there was nothing to cause motion either wise. The camera in video motion detection does its job properly but in pir it keeps sending false positives so I suspect the pir function on my camera is malfunctioning.

Dlink support seems to think pir does it job well in this model but in my case I suspect the camera or pir is defective. Don't know what else could be causing all the false positives.

Edgemont

• Level 1 Member

also did a factory reset and the problem still exists when the camera is set at pir motion detection, very annoying

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

If you feel the camera is defective, I'd contact D-Link support and ask for an RMA.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Edgemont

• Level 1 Member

Received a replacement camera and it is still sending email notifications on PIR. The camera's line of sight is also aimed at a large green metal utility box that the city has adjacent to the driveway. Is it possible I am getting interference from that box, I believe there is telephone wiring and possibly electrical services inside that box, not sure how to post an image here ? I thought PIR detects thermal images that moves within the camera's line of sight?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

How much temp change above the driveway when the wind blows?  I could see a baking sun lit driveway go cooler if the wind blows over it.

Edgemont

• Level 1 Member

The temperature change is not that significant in my mind, the pir false detections seem worse in the day (almost every 5-10 mins) than in the evening, all my neighbors on both side of me and across the street have hard wired surveillance camera installed on the exterior of their house, is it possible I am getting interference from their cameras that is interfering with the PIR setting on the 2330L?

The utility box I haven't ruled out yet either, I think inside the box are the city utilities services so maybe a transformer within could be affecting the pir?