• April 23, 2024, 01:49:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: ( Newbe ) I just got a Dns-320 with 2 X 2 terra raid 1 and its to small  (Read 2091 times)

orionpowerbook

• Level 1 Member

Does anyone know How I can move the stuff from the 2 x 2 Terra drives to my new 2 X 3 Terra drives??
I have been running this DNS-320 for the last 1 years without any issues. I don't have the space to dump the files on a other hard drive and copy them back to the new Raid 1 drives.

can someone help me ??

cheers
orionpowerbook

running a Macbookpro G4 1Gig 512 Ram and mac OSX

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: ( Newbe ) I just got a Dns-320 with 2 X 2 terra raid 1 and its to small
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

The simple answer should be to use your backup to restore the data to the new 3TB RAID 1, but by the sounds of your request you don't have a backup - not a good idea as RAID 1 is NOT a backup strategy - read the sticky 'data backup versus redundancy' above.

There are two ways you can go.

Easiest is to make a backup of your data then remove the two 2TB drives - mark them left and right just in case - and replace them with the two 3TB drives.  Then use the web interface to setup the new drives as RAID 1.  After they are formatted and visible on the network restore your data from the backup.

The harder way, since you use a mac and not windows, is to read the sticky 'data recovery (windows PCs)' and see if you can adapt the information to your equipment or, maybe, you could borrow a windows or linux PC to do the job. 
If you decide to do this and need more information just ask. 

I do recommend that you use a USB/SATA caddy or adapter to plug in ONE of your RAID 1 drives to the PC, leave the other drive in place until you are sure you can read the data on the drive.