• April 23, 2024, 12:11:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is Best Way to Determine Speed?  (Read 2950 times)

tperk100

• Level 1 Member
What is Best Way to Determine Speed?
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:55 PM »

What is the best way to see the speed of my connections?

Going to Status, Wireless, Rate...is this an accurate indication? Both of my wireless connections say the same, 54M. I am trying to figure out why my TiVo wireless video streaming is too slow.

Should 54M be fast enought to stream HD movies?

I was unable to D/L the desktop widget from Yahoo.

What is the D-Link Utility referred to in the sticky above?
What is WZC?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:58:47 PM by tperk100 »
Tom P in Virginia Beach, Va

bkspero

• Level 2 Member
Re: What is Best Way to Determine Speed?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »

What is the best way to see the speed of my connections?

Going to Status, Wireless, Rate...is this an accurate indication? Both of my wireless connections say the same, 54M. I am trying to figure out why my TiVo wireless video streaming is too slow.

Should 54M be fast enought to stream HD movies?

I was unable to D/L the desktop widget from Yahoo.

What is the D-Link Utility referred to in the sticky above?
What is WZC?

Thanks

Your best bet is to try and stream a file from one computer to another.  Normally you would have to worry about a bottleneck at the hard drive to the network, but you are fortunate to have this router.  Many examples of the 825 are so slow that the hard drive is not an issue.  If you have one of those, you could probably measure the transfer time with an hourglass and be in the ballpark.

All kidding aside, stream a large file (at least a few hundred megabytes) from the media server to a computer and measure the time it takes.  Divide the file size by the time, and it will give you the transfer rate.  You won't know what the cause of any slowness is, though.  You will have to make item by item substitutions to determine the cause of any bottlenecks.

If you are getting 54 megabytes per second, I suspect that you would be ok with HD video.  If it is 54 megabits per second, not so sure.  But there are others here who should know the answer to that.  Or you could do an Google search for the answer.  If you are basing the 54 estimate on the specified max speed of wireless g, you are almost certainly getting slower performance than the max spec.

Good luck.

pender

• Level 2 Member
Re: What is Best Way to Determine Speed?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »

I use a program called Jperf to acurrately test TCP/IP bandwidth.  Set up Jeperf in Server mode on your LAN and set up a laptop as a client and enter in the IP address of the JPerf server then run it for 20 secs or so.
http://code.google.com/p/xjperf/

HD movies can have a bitrate from as low as 3Mbit (720p youtube) to 40Mbits (1080p bluray).  802.11g can typically deliver 18Mbits 99% of the time at close range (give or take).  If you can not achieve the bitrate you need for "Your" HD video, upgrade to 11n gear or powerline or Moca gear (i recommmend Moca over powerline).

Also don't confuse 54Mbit or 300Mbps "Link Rate" with actual real world bandwidth.  Consult Smallnetbuilder for more realistic tests
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wireless/Itemid,200

WZC is the Microsoft service for controlling wireless connection in windows.  It can be replaced by a separate service provided by thee WiFi client adapter, but most find WZC to be adequate.