• March 28, 2024, 12:55:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Limit bandwidth by IP/MAC address?  (Read 11151 times)

jonez

• Level 1 Member
Limit bandwidth by IP/MAC address?
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »

Router: DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
Firmware: 1.33NA

Is there a way to limit bandwidth to a specific IP or MAC address connected to my router? I live with two room-mates who both use P2P applications and saturate my internet connection at times.

Right now I have my router set to use DHCP, and I have IP addresses reserved for each computer in the house so I know who is doing what from the activity feed.

Is there a way to give each IP a % of bandwidth, or prioritize bandwidth from one IP over another? Or a way to give P2P traffic the lowest priority? Priority would probably help but if one machine goes crazy on torrents it will still effect the others unless I can limit their resources somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:04:04 AM by jonez »

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
Re: Limit bandwidth by IP/MAC address?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »

No there is no way to limit BW with IP/MAC.
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: Limit bandwidth by IP/MAC address?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »

Hi,

You can use QoS to put a really low priority on certain LAN IPs.....but unless you have a lot of higher priority traffic, it prolly won't accomplish a whole lot.

I agree with OP that this would certainly be a handy feature for a home router to have available.  MANY of us have kids or roomates we would like to limit BW along with the available time & day restrictions by MAC / IP.
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA