• March 29, 2024, 06:38:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320L - Backup / HDD Capacity  (Read 11130 times)

Beryus

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320L - Backup / HDD Capacity
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:46 AM »

Maybe ONE off-topic-question  ;): Now there is a nice NAS to USB backup-functionality but is there any form of compression in the sharecenter backup software or will 2TB source = 2TB backup? That would be really sad.

Beryus
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:46:01 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-320L?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »

Maybe ONE off-topic-question  ;): Now there is a nice NAS to USB backup-functionality but is there any form of compression in the sharecenter backup software or will 2TB source = 2TB backup? That would be really sad.

I don't believe compression is/was used by any of the ShareCenter line. If compression were available on the ShareCenter (which it's not), I'd expect it to be offered on the DNS-345, D-Link's new flagship consumer NAS. Off topic... the DNS-345 does offer volume encryption.  ;)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Beryus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »

Ok, so 4TB source = 4TB backup. Means 2 x DNS-320L (each 2 x 2TB HDD) so that one can backup to the other? Quite expensive, hm?

Beryus

Sorry, very off-topic. If you don't want to discuss this here then please move it to a better thread...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »

Ok, so 4TB source = 4TB backup. Means 2 x DNS-320L (each 2 x 2TB HDD) so that one can backup to the other? Quite expensive, hm?

I'm using that same backup strategy with two DNS-343s. 

Beryus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »

I'm using that same backup strategy with two DNS-343s.  

But sooo expensive. :-\

And the backup-software of the sharecenter line is stable and no problems will occur?

Another question: Since the DNS-320L can handle 3TB-HDDs, is it possible to see the full 3TB-HDD by a MBR-System (Notebook)? I really don't know because it's via network.

Beryus
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:45:11 AM by Beryus »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »

But sooo expensive. :-\

That's the cost of data integrity.

And the backup-software of the sharecenter line is stable and no problems will occur?

The backup software on the earlier model ShareCenters is a bit awkward in both functionality and usability (e.g. incremental backups cannot remove files deleted in the source volume from the destination).  The newer ShareCenter models have improved backup software, resolving many of the issues in earlier iterations.

Another question: Since the DNS-320L can handle 3TB-HDDs, is it possible to see the full 3TB-HDD by a MBR-System (Notebook)? I really don't know because it's via network.

Are you asking about the ability to access the full volume by a notebook via a mapped network drive to the DNS-320L?  If so, the answer is yes. The ShareCenter is responsible for the addressing, not the notebook.  The DNS-345 is labeled as supporting 4TB HDDs, so I wonder if the DNS-320L will also support these HDDs since both devices were released at the same time.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:56:48 AM by JavaLawyer »

Beryus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »

Are you asking about the ability to access the full volume by a notebook via a mapped network drive to the DNS-320L?  If so, the answer is yes. The ShareCenter is responsible for the addressing, not the notebook.  The DNS-345 is labeled as supporting 4TB HDDs, so I wonder if the DNS-320L will also support these HDDs since both devices were released at the same time.
Ok, so the DNS-320L uses GPT and the (MBR)-notebook doesn't need to care about that but can use the full 3TB of one HDD, fine.  :)

Btw: The DNS-320L cannot handle 4TB according to the manual.

Beryus
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:14:35 AM by Beryus »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »

Btw: The DNS-320L cannot handle 4TB according to the manual.

The DNS-345 says "3TB" in some marketing material/documentation, but "4TB" in others, so perhaps 4TB is supportable on the DNS-320L.  ??? :-\

Now that AFT HDDs use 4096 byte addressing, it really shouldn't make a difference whether a HDD is 3TB or 4TB (presuming D-Link was forward thinking in their design).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:36:55 AM by JavaLawyer »