• April 18, 2024, 01:29:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can I undelete a file ?  (Read 11509 times)

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
Can I undelete a file ?
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:50 AM »

I have a D-LINK 323  NAS drive 2 Bay but no RAID configured.
Networked to my W7 64 bit PC

I accidentally deleted a couple of files this morning ......... (no activity since to minimise overwrite)
Are there any utilities to allow me to undelete these files ?

I tried usual (i.e 360 undelete) but they do not see networked drives.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Can I undelete a file ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »

Extremely unlikely if you are running stock firmware without add-ons to enable a "trash" option. I take it you are not backing up your important files?
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »

This NAS  'is' my backup .... I don't have luxury of backup of backup drive.

I  keep historical backup ... first, and then subsequent backups in separate folder (last and the previous 6 months)
However due to my fault I deleted one of the previous 6 months historical backup folder.
So no active data lost only the backups of last 6 months.

I did manage to logon onto the HDD using sysrescd  ... carried out undelete ... it found hundreds of files but none of the ones I was interested in.

It does seem a shortfall that D-Link do not include a recycle bin or undelete utility
If anybody is aware of a way to add one .. let me know..

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »

This link shows the "easy" way
http://dns323.kood.org/howto:bettersamba#how_to_create_a_recycle_bin
(found with a simple google search)

I would recommend installing FFP though as you can replace the samba version with a better one and fix all kinds of other issues.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:13:42 AM »

what is FFP ?

sorry if this is basic, just never heard of it ... is it something I install, add?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »

Check the "sticky" threads at the top of the forum or google "FFP 0.5 DNS323"

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:46:55 AM »

If this is your backup then all you have to do is copy the files over again.

It does sound as if it is NOT your backup but a place that you store files.  If that is the case then you need to do something to make sure you do, in fact, have a backup of your data.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »

This is my backup location .. I keep historical backups .... I have deleted the historical backup files

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »

What you are discribing is not a backup (backup implies that you have more than one copy if the data), it is just storage and therefore need a backup.

We have historical data going back to 1988.  The newest 5 years are available on our storage server which is backed up to our storage array with everything older being on DVDs (three copies of each DVD stored in different locations).

Since you don't have a backup we need to look at how you can recover deleted files.  To do that you need to know which disk they were on, then you also need a USB/SATA caddy.
Switch off your NAS and remove the disk and place it in the USB/SATA caddy, then, if you have access to a Linux computer plug the disk into a USB port and run an undelete* program against that disk.  If you don't have a Linux computer use a live Linux DVD and do the same thing.
This should get your files back depending on several things with the main one being what has been done with the disk since the files were deleted.

* extundelete is such a program, there are others.

Note, installing FFP on the same drive as the deleted files will most probably render them unrecoverable.

Also note that you do need some form of backup for your historical data.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »

I use a backup program, to create a backup file on a HDD that is 'off' my PC..... so to me that 'is' a backup.

I keep historical backups in a folder, and I accidentally deleted some of these .... however you want to call them something else ... does not in anyway change the issue .. I deleted the files, and I wanted to undelete them.

I don't have a LINUX computer.
I did put HDD in my PC, booted up PC on a LINUX disk  ( sysrescd ) ran undelete .. found loads of txts and jpeg but non of the backups .... if it looks for patterns and doesn't know pattern for backup guess it will fail.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »

OK, you have a file on your NAS that contains several files that were on your PC that you have deleted - correct?  If so do you know the name of that file because that is what you should be looking for - it may have some of the name missing, also are you looking on the correct disk (Linux does not use drive letters and depending on how you attached the disk its name may not be what you think it is - if it is a USB disk you will also need to mount it before you can access it).

PryYoon00

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »

Hello, friends! After experiencing similar deleted external drive file loss problems several times, I have learned the deleted file is possible to be rescued back with the help of data recovery software or data recovery agencies, over the internet. However, since I have checked many online data recovery agencies or shops are very expensive for data recovery services. I do have to take chances with some deleted recovery software online to rescue deleted files. Fortunately, I am really happy and finally rescued most of my deleted stuffs back.
Therefore, in your case, you also can give such data recovery software a try.
Read more here:
 http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Or http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Or http://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/deleted-file-recovery.html

Also learn to create two or more data backups on different drives or locations well from now on.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »

Thanks for sharing the information and experience. Yes, Helps to have additional backups. RAID is not backup.

Enjoy.  ;)

Hello, friends! After experiencing similar deleted external drive file loss problems several times, I have learned the deleted file is possible to be rescued back with the help of data recovery software or data recovery agencies, over the internet. However, since I have checked many online data recovery agencies or shops are very expensive for data recovery services. I do have to take chances with some deleted recovery software online to rescue deleted files. Fortunately, I am really happy and finally rescued most of my deleted stuffs back.
Therefore, in your case, you also can give such data recovery software a try.
Read more here:
 http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Or http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Or http://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/deleted-file-recovery.html

Also learn to create two or more data backups on different drives or locations well from now on.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.