• April 19, 2024, 12:54:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DWA-130 on a linux ubuntu  (Read 73746 times)

photorolandi

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-130 on a linux ubuntu
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »

The suggestion works well. Just installed the DWA-130 on a IBM Notebook PC (R31) running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I used the windows drivers from the D-Link installation CD, and chose the drivers (.info and .sys) for WindowsXP. Used the ndiswrapper graphical interface for the install commands. Worked like a charm the first time around.

I don't personally use Ubuntu or the DWA-130, so I am speaking from generalistic experience not specific experience.

Looking at all the Google hits I can find it appears that DWA-130 appears to require NDIS-Wrapper at this time.  Below is the Ubuntu NDIS-Wrapper How-To.  This is the best I am going to be able to do for you over the internets.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Now for the even less comforting part, wireless in Linux is an amazingly simple procedure compared to yesteryear, it is still not ready for most users though.  You have a rough road ahead of you.

Also, you mention that your wireless didn't work so you procured a new wireless adapter.  Is the DWA-130 the new or old adapter, and what make/model/chipset is the other adapter.  It is distinctly possible that it may be an easier or better supported chipset.

coldfinger

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »

Photorolandi:  Do you know which H/W ver you have? 

I have the C version, which has linux drivers available, but I got compile errors when I tried to make & install in Ubuntu 10.04.

I'm wondering if I should abandon the Linux drivers and go the Ndiswrapper route.

jobcol

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »

my DWI-130 is the E H/W version.
I'm using it with Ubuntu 10.04 using Ndiswrapper and it works flawlessly.

The easiest way to install under Ubuntu is using the Ndiswrapper graphical interface:
Open up Synaptic and install ndiswrapper-gtk, this will install graphical interface and all dependencies.
Download the XP drivers from D-Link website save them into your Home folder in Ubuntu.
In Ubuntu, go to System>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers (this is ndiswrapper graphical interface).
Click on Install Drivers
Point ndiswrapper to the XP drivers in your Home folder, you will be looking for the net8192su.inf file.
Choose this file and click on Install Drivers and your done.
You may get a popup straight away asking for your network key, enter it and connect, if it doesnt restart computer and you will see  your wireless icon on task-bar, click on it choose your network enter your network keyand it will connect.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:20:56 PM by jobcol »

yaakboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

This is excellent information and your procedures worked well.  Thanks.  My wireless is detected and I am prompted.  However, when I enter my key, I keep getting the "Authentication required by wireless network" pop up - yet it never connects.  Any ideas?

jobcol

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »

Hi
double check the wireless security key you are entering, make sure its correct.
also what Router are you using? do you have MAC address filtering turned on in the Router? if so you will have to access your Router and allow the MAC address of the DWA 130 in order to get a connection.

Might seem obvious but i know i have made that mistake a few times, forgot all about MAC filtering on the Router and spent hours trying to troubleshoot a connection problem lol

Craig Rutledge

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 03:38:28 PM »

Authentication required by wireless network not accepting key
Thanks jobcol for the install procedure.  I have verified MAC filtering is off,  when I look at dynamic DHCP clients on the router,  I can see my linux system name has been detected/added to the list. So I am getting to the router.    However like yaakboy, when I am prompted to enter my key, I keep getting the "Authentication required by wireless network" pop up - yet it never connects.  I have verified the network key is correct by entering it forward and backwards (several times now) and double checking the key characters on my windows computers.  Open to any suggestions.  yaakboy, did you ever get a resolution?

Craig Rutledge

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »

Solution to authentication required by wireless network not accepting key!!   Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04.  Accepted key first time and works great.

mdwy62

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

I am running ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a Dell Inspiron 1420 with a built in b/g wifi interface. I want to upgrade to 802.11n using the DWA-130. ndiswrapper seems to work, following the posts above I installed the WinXP driver (net1892su.inf from the WinXP2K folder on the CD).

Two questions - my built in wireless still seems to be running. How can I shut it down without disabling the DWA-130?

I don't think I am connecting using N, but just G. My connection information says:
Interface: 802.11 WiFi (wlan1)
Driver: ndiswrapper
Speed: 65 Mb/s

Any ideas how to get this to operate at N instead of G?

jobcol

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »

Maybe a silly question, but is your router wireless N capable?
Pages: 1 [2]