• April 18, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Chromebook  (Read 7113 times)

the point

• Level 1 Member
Chromebook
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »

Has anyone had any luck viewing myDlink cams on a Chromebook? I know there is an issue with Java, but I'm hoping there is a work around or alternative solution.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »

Has anyone had any luck viewing myDlink cams on a Chromebook? I know there is an issue with Java, but I'm hoping there is a work around or alternative solution.

Have you tried the mjeg.cgi html link?

commsman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:11:04 AM »

I have found the ideal answer - for me.
if you have an Android phone or tablet and would like to install the Android app on Chrome, this is now possible and the app I can confirm works perfectly on my Chromebook (Acer C720).
Here are the steps:
1. export the app from your android device using MyAppSharer (free in Play Store), share it to a folder in Google Drive. Save it with a simple name such as MyDlink.apk
2. On the Chromebook, change the Chrome version (in About CromeOS) to the Canary stable dev channel version - this is safe - it might be 1% less stable than the full release version but I have not noticed any difference.
3. Install Arc Welder from Google on the Chromebook (search on Google for "android arc welder" - it is the top result for me. It is NOT easily visible in the App Store - Google do not want everyone to play with this YET, but no doubt this is going to be a standard feature at some point.
4. Open Arc Welder and set a place for the converted apps to be saved (e.g. downloads/ConvertedApps)
5. Open the MyDlink.apk file you exported from your Android device. I recommend Portrait mode and allow clipboard in settings, then do the conversion. You can test the converted app immediately (it worked first time for me).
6. After saving the zip file, you can now quit Arc Welder.
7. To install the converted app, open Chrome, More Tools, Extensions, tick the Developer mode box, then click Load Unpacked Extensions - browse to the *Converted* MyDlink application (it will be called something like "mydlink.apk_export_hJZdV" and double click to open, then click the Open button.

This may seem like a lot of steps - but you only do it once - after that you will have the app as a standard Chrome App in your app drawer and can run it any time.

This technique works with many but not all Android Apps - it works for Skype for example (I know - I was surprised as well!).

This for me is a great solution - hope it works for you.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:36:12 AM »

Thank you for the feedback and information. We hope it helps any future users.

;)

I have found the ideal answer - for me.
if you have an Android phone or tablet and would like to install the Android app on Chrome, this is now possible and the app I can confirm works perfectly on my Chromebook (Acer C720).
Here are the steps:
1. export the app from your android device using MyAppSharer (free in Play Store), share it to a folder in Google Drive. Save it with a simple name such as MyDlink.apk
2. On the Chromebook, change the Chrome version (in About CromeOS) to the Canary stable dev channel version - this is safe - it might be 1% less stable than the full release version but I have not noticed any difference.
3. Install Arc Welder from Google on the Chromebook (search on Google for "android arc welder" - it is the top result for me. It is NOT easily visible in the App Store - Google do not want everyone to play with this YET, but no doubt this is going to be a standard feature at some point.
4. Open Arc Welder and set a place for the converted apps to be saved (e.g. downloads/ConvertedApps)
5. Open the MyDlink.apk file you exported from your Android device. I recommend Portrait mode and allow clipboard in settings, then do the conversion. You can test the converted app immediately (it worked first time for me).
6. After saving the zip file, you can now quit Arc Welder.
7. To install the converted app, open Chrome, More Tools, Extensions, tick the Developer mode box, then click Load Unpacked Extensions - browse to the *Converted* MyDlink application (it will be called something like "mydlink.apk_export_hJZdV" and double click to open, then click the Open button.

This may seem like a lot of steps - but you only do it once - after that you will have the app as a standard Chrome App in your app drawer and can run it any time.

This technique works with many but not all Android Apps - it works for Skype for example (I know - I was surprised as well!).

This for me is a great solution - hope it works for you.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.