• April 24, 2024, 02:56:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot make USB backup Firmware 1.04b05  (Read 10542 times)

rhino

• Level 1 Member
Cannot make USB backup Firmware 1.04b05
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »

just installed firmware 1.04b05 and try to make USB backup to my external USB HDD. I formatted the USB HDD with NTFS, then plugged in the DNS-325 and pressed the USB/mount botton on the back of DNS-325. After that, i jumped on my PC and logged on the DNS-325 UI >Loca Backup>USB Backup> No Storage. What am i missing here?

bigdave240

• Level 2 Member
Re: Cannot make USB backup Firmware 1.04b05
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »

sounds like you held the button too long and it unmounted maybe. you can only hold the button 3-5 seconds and you should see the middle light on the front panel start blinking. be sure you mount the drive first and that you have gone into the ui and can see it. also i think you have to go to applications>local backup>usb backup and set it up as a copy and to a location on the drive. and save it then push the button for 3-5 seconds and see if it works. but if you can't see the drive in the first place then it won't work.

rhino

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Thanks, Bigdave that helps. It's now backing up my folders to USB external HDD. Thanks again.

bigdave240

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

great. let us know how long it takes to finish if you can. My last backup took over 3 days to complete. not sure what took so long and it seems to be a complete backup. may be just my old usb drive that may be slow.

rhino

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »

Bigdave, it took 7 hours to back up my 45 GB folder to my externall USB3 HDD.

bigdave240

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »

thanks! pretty slow

Her_Kitty_Daddy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:05 AM »

Okay. Maaybe the wife slipped more stupid pills in my coffee this morning or I'm missing something screamingly obvious.

So, here's what I've done:
  • Put formatted drive in USB case.
  • Plug USB case/drive into NAS.
  • Go into "Applications" and choose "Local Backups"
  • Choose USB Backups
  • Set "Enable" on.
  • Set "Category" to "NAS to USB"
  • Set "Source" to  "Volume_1" (My NAS top level volume.
  • Set "Destination" to "USBDisk1_1"
  • Set "Type" to "Copy".
  • Then chose "Save Settings"

Now, things look reasonably Rosy, it sees the drive. Knows to copy "This" to "That".

After a bit more poking around found that I have to physically go to the unit and press the button. (Really?)

After a count of 4 release the button and viola! Things start flashing away!

Then it stops. Not even a minute later. I know my NAS is ~70% full so it's not going to copy almost 700G *THAT* fast.

I go into the "My Files" application and take a look. Hmmmmm.... It seems that the copy process *started* but then stopped after going as far as it can down one directory tree (the first it seems) that it could find.

Am I missing something really easy or is this not working correctly?

Also, does anyone know what the type "Synchronize" does? (I'm worried about the contents of my NAS obviously so I don't want to choose that if it'll also sync backwards causing USB to go to NAS.)

Thanks for everyone's time! All opinions welcome.

Her_Kitty_Daddy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »

Am I missing something really easy or is this not working correctly?
Definatly *not* working right.

I tried something and it seems to have worked.

The steps I had were listed below. I added (in RED the changes I made.)

• Formatted drive on Linux system (VmWare) to be Ext2 type.
  • Put newly formatted drive in USB case.
  • Plug USB case/drive into NAS.
  • Go into "Applications" and choose "Local Backups"
  • Choose USB Backups
  • Set "Enable" on.
  • Set "Category" to "NAS to USB"
  • Set "Source" to  "Volume_1" (My NAS top level volume.
  • Set "Destination" to "USBDisk1_1"
  • Set "Type" to "Copy".
  • Then chose "Save Settings"
  • Crossed my fingers and pressed "little button" on back of unit for a four count.
  • Marveled as my NAS slowed down significantly *BUT* it seems to be doing a backup!

Also, does anyone know what the type "Synchronize" does?
This is still an outstanding issue to me.

Now, if asked for what I'd have done to make this go *MUCH* easier, I'd have a list like this:
  • Write up instructions and put them somewhere that we can find them.
  • Tell us (In the GUI?) what format the drive needs to be.
  • Provide a method by which we can format the drive to something that the NAS expects.
  • Explain "Type" options in "Local Backups" application.
  • Don't make the local backups tool/system/doo-dad something that looks like a separate add-on.
  • Allow me to trigger the backups from the GUI.

Her_Kitty_Daddy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

Now, if asked for what I'd have done to make this go *MUCH* easier, I'd have a list like this:
  • Write up instructions and put them somewhere that we can find them.
  • Tell us (In the GUI?) what format the drive needs to be.
  • Provide a method by which we can format the drive to something that the NAS expects.
  • Explain "Type" options in "Local Backups" application.
  • Don't make the local backups tool/system/doo-dad something that looks like a separate add-on.
  • Allow me to trigger the backups from the GUI.

Let me add to this.

If I unmount the USB drive then when I go into the "Applications" -> "Local Backups" -> "USB Backups" I get *NOTHING* it just tells me that the drive is not present. Normally not significant but I can't then find out when the backup was last done!

How about putting the start and end times of the backups into the system log? This lets us know when they started and ended no matter what.

And, if you're doing that, you need to tell us how the backup worked (pass/fail/maybe even why)

I'd also like to suggest that someone write up an outline of the steps one might have to follow to recreate a running system from death.
System goes boom.
I replace drives.
When I turn it on, what configuration will it be running? What died with no drives or will it be as if I took it out of the box brand new with nothing but the newest firmware?
Etc.