• March 28, 2024, 08:35:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: what are the reasons that a router would need frequent resets?  (Read 2410 times)

mrmulti

• Level 1 Member
what are the reasons that a router would need frequent resets?
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »

I bought this router because my older netgear required weekly resets.   In my experience, this was typical of netgear.   So I bought a new DIR-880L which seemed to have good reviews.  Since I set up the DLink, we have needed to reset the router daily.  Although all lights look good, no connected device can get internet service.  Sometimes the computer will know there is no internet, sometimes not.  A diag reported a DNS problem before the reset, which was fixed after the reset.   By reset i mean power off/on.

So, now i am curious.  What is it about routers in general that make them require resets?  How Common is it?   How frequently do ISPs change ip addresses?  Is this the reason for the disconnects?    I may need to bring this one back  even though it appears to be a much better router.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: what are the reasons that a router would need frequent resets?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:40:31 PM »

Where are you located? 

Who is your ISP??

I'm in USA and only have forced router type resets from F/W upgrades.. or some jackwad bumps my connection in the closet... so no - it shouldn't be common.

Check your modem logs for signal strength issues/disconnects...

There's more to the picture than you might think.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: what are the reasons that a router would need frequent resets?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

I bought this router because my older netgear required weekly resets.   In my experience, this was typical of netgear.   So I bought a new DIR-880L which seemed to have good reviews.  Since I set up the DLink, we have needed to reset the router daily.  Although all lights look good, no connected device can get internet service.  Sometimes the computer will know there is no internet, sometimes not.  A diag reported a DNS problem before the reset, which was fixed after the reset.   By reset i mean power off/on.

So, now i am curious.  What is it about routers in general that make them require resets?  How Common is it?   How frequently do ISPs change ip addresses?  Is this the reason for the disconnects?    I may need to bring this one back  even though it appears to be a much better router.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.