• March 28, 2024, 08:07:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bittorrent problems (Active connection limit?)  (Read 23302 times)

neb

• Level 2 Member
Bittorrent problems (Active connection limit?)
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »

I've had no problems with this router until running a bittorrent client (Azureus). As soon as Azureus is running, all other Internet applications (web browser, email) stall when trying to access the Internet.

I know it's not my computer, because I never experienced this with my old router. I've got the port forwarding set up correctly. Is the EBR-2310 slow at port forwarding?

I've also limited upload bandwidth (in Azureus configuration) to one third my maximum (lower than I used to have to go). This seemed to alleviate some congestion, but still a problem.

Then I dropped Azureus's total max connections from 800 to 400. This seemed to help a little, but not great. Is there any kind of active connection limit documented for the EBR-2310?

I also experimented turning on/off the QoS Engine in the EBR-2310 (suspecting it might be mistakenly prioritizing bittorrent traffic over http web connections). That did not seem to have any affect.

Anyone else experience bittorrent swamping their EBR-2310?

neb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Bittorrent problems (Active connection limit?)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »

Here are some research resources, but no resolution found yet:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers

EBR-2310 not (yet) listed under known bad bittorrent/azureus routers, but other D-Link routers are. Reducing max connections has NOT helped.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Good_settings

Notice that my max connections were WAY high (800 vs. recommended 167). Still, limiting connections has not helped. Whenever Azureus is run, all other internet traffic stalls. Any other help greatly appreciated.

poorbiker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »

Is there a port forwarding tutoring site for those of us who are technologically challenged?  I can't get emule to work even after manually inputting the ports.  Help!!

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »

The first step to successful port forwarding is knowing:
  • Port number(s) and/or ranges needed for the application
  • Internal (LAN) IP address of computer to forward to

The EBR-2310 can make that second part tricky:

Are you using the EBR-2310 to dynamically assign IP addresses to your internal (LAN) machines? That is, are your internal computers configured to use DHCP (versus static IP addresses)?

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:26:50 AM »

By the way, read my new post on the EBR-2310's lack of DHCP Static Reservation, which explains why DHCP with port forwarding is likely to fail on this router. You may need to fall back on static IP assignment to get port forwarding to work consistently.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1385.0

I hope this helps you understand the issues. If you have other port forwarding questions about this router, I encourage you to start a new topic in this forum.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »

I avoided jumping in on this thread until now as I am not a big user of Bittorrent, nor do I work with this router enough to have input on a limit to the number of connections.

However I can tell you that I will be personally ensuring the creation of a tutorial on port forwarding with this router, and it will not require any features not present on this router regardless of what you see in this thread.
non progredi est regredi

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »

A tutorial would be great. For the record, this router is completely capable of working with Bittorrent, games, and other software requiring port forwarding. The issue is that it will take some configuration, which I find to be more technical than it aught to be for most users.

Regarding bittorrent, I've tried every configuration setting in Azureus. It seems that there is about a 10 minute period when the router is completely congested (no web pages can load, email stalls). After that, connectivity is better, but can still stall out now and then.

I hope this helps others with similar problems.

David

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »

What you are attempting seems to be overloading the NAT processor on the unit. For your desired functionality I would recommend purchasing a high end router such as a DGL-4500 or a DIR-655.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »

Thank you very much, Atomsk, for your insightful, technical explanation of what might be going on.

Can you tell me if the NAT processor has a harder time with in-bound connections, or is it just an overall (in/out) capacity?  If in-bound connections are more "expensive," then I can tweak how things are run to primarily use outbound connections, if it avoids swamping the device.

(I'll also take a look at the DGL-4500 & DIR-655 - thanks for the suggestions.)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

Usually the EBR/WBR line are not really recommended for people with high bandwidth needs. BT is known as a connection hog, I would look at limiting inbound connections as well as out bound. It's not a matter of expense, more total allowed concurrent connections.
What H/W_Ver is your router?

David

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »

Is there a port forwarding tutoring site for those of us who are technologically challenged?  I can't get emule to work even after manually inputting the ports.  Help!!

Have you tried entering the IP address of your computer in the DMZ section within the configuration page? It can be found from the advanced>firewall settings tab.

This link may also help.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/EBR-2310/EBR-2310index.htm

David

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »

What H/W_Ver is your router?

He has a B1.  ;D 2.01 fw if I'm correct.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »

Spec: D-Link EBR-2310, Hardware: B1, Firmware: 2.01
Notice: Firmware 2.01 is on the device, but only 2.00 listed for download.

I've been tweaking everything I can in the Azureus bittorrent client. On the router, I've experimented with turning off Statefull Packet Inspection and Quality of Service engine, with no clear results. Overall, bittorrent will work, but causes initial (and intermittent) congestion.

For the price, the EBR-2310 is fine for a small home network, and has a decent feature set. It's certainly easier to manage than a Linux LEAF Bering floppy-boot firewall on old, cobbled-together hardware.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »

Thats ODD the Rev B is good hardware. Unless they locked the connection limit of that unit to match the revA, that thing is a IP3K NAT CPU.
I'll check in to it.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »

Have you tried entering the IP address of your computer in the DMZ section within the configuration page? It can be found from the advanced>firewall settings tab.

This link may also help. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/EBR-2310/EBR-2310index.htm

Turning on DMZ is like turning off the firewall. Yes, it might make eMule/Azureus work, but don't do it unless you really don't want any protection for your computer. Also notice that the user manual has several warnings that setting a DMZ is dangerous with DHCP because another computer could accidentally become the DMZ (unprotected) computer when that IP is reassigned. I do not recommend using a DMZ with this router (unless you use static IPs).

Regarding portforward.com: That looks like a very comprehensive site! Just note that their screenshots for the EBR-2310 port forwarding are outdated. Pretty much the same, though.
Pages: [1] 2