• March 28, 2024, 10:49:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: RAID 1 Not Working?  (Read 2759 times)

benzo

• Level 1 Member
RAID 1 Not Working?
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »

Running a 323 setup as RAID 1.  No errors, issues, etc.

When I look at the 323 through my mapped drive (Pointed to Volume 1) all is fine.

When I look at the 323 Volume 1 through Network/DLINK - All is fine

However, when I look at the 323 Volume 2 through Network/DLINK -or map a drive to Volume2 it looks like at some point around the beginning of the year my data stopped being mirrored.  

Tried saving to Volume 1, it is not written to Volume 2.  

I can manually save/copy etc. to volume 2 without issue,  the drive is fine.  

Anyone seen this?  Any ideas?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:57:17 AM by benzo »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: RAID 1 Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »

First let's look at how you created the RAID1 array - are both disks the same size and did you use all the available space to create the array?

If you did, then there would be a single volume - Volume_1 - if you can see two separate volumes, the unit has at some point lost it's RAID configuration.

If you didn't, then there would have been two volumes - the raid array - Volume_1, and the remaining space - Volume_2, and the files on Volume_1 bear no relationship to those on Volume_2.

Now if you know how it was set up, you can tell what you should be seeing, and whether or not it's working properly - if you have lost the raid configuration and want it back, then the following steps should do it ...

1 - back up your data
2 - remove the second disk (Volume_2 is usually the left bay)
3 - using a PC delete the partitions on the disk you removed, this will cause the DNS-323 to think it is new
4 - replace the disk

The DNS-323 should now prompt you to format the "new" disk and you can check the box to create a RAID1 array and the unit should format the disk and then resync the data.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

benzo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »

thanks fordem.  Yes both disks were the same size (1TB) and I used all of the available space.  SOunds like I just lost the ability to RAID at some point b/c I do see 2 volumes now. 

I may take this opportunity to go to separate and schedule backups from Vol 1 to Vol 2, in which case I think I would follow the same steps, just not elect RAID correct?

Cheers.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

From what you describe, you already have separate volumes - there is no need to follow any steps.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.