• April 16, 2024, 03:14:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 using MAC filtering IPod Touch  (Read 4677 times)

Jack1man

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 using MAC filtering IPod Touch
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

I have a DIR-615 router and I use MAC filtering my kids have IPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen with MAC addresses starting with 00 which connect without error.  We just received a IPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen and it's MAC address starts with D8 and the when I put the MAC address in the router is comes back with invalid MAC address.  I like MAC filtering does anyone have a solution?  Thanks
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:49:50 PM by Jack1man »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: DIR-615 using MAC filtering IPod Touch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »

A MAC address XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX has 48 bits, with each XX being the hexadecimal representation of 8 bits (an octet or byte). The first three octets XX-XX-XX represent a code assigned to the manufacturer (vendor) and according to this official list from the IEEE - http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt - one of Apple's vendor codes is D8-30-62. I assume this is what you have.

I'm totally lost as to why the MAC input form in the D-Link web interface would check for the first octet (byte) to be 0. That would be a very poor implementation. Maybe it's a bug and was fixed in more recent versions of the firmware. Are you running the latest firmware version for your model/revision?

Also. Are you sure you inputted the MAC correctly?

kukubau

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:50 AM »

I have a DIR-615 router and I use MAC filtering my kids have IPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen with MAC addresses starting with 00 which connect without error.  We just received a IPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen and it's MAC address starts with D8 and the when I put the MAC address in the router is comes back with invalid MAC address.  I like MAC filtering does anyone have a solution?  Thanks

What do you want achieve? Do you want to filter out the Ipods touch or do you want to allow them to use your network?
Your first phrase really needs some commas.

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »

Plz see my response in this thread: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13443.0