• April 25, 2024, 10:01:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Loss of Connectivity for "N" Connections  (Read 6111 times)

bob61

Loss of Connectivity for "N" Connections
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »

I've had the DIR-615 (HW:B2 / FW:2.25) for a couple weeks. I've encountered a odd situation. Every couple of days I find that my laptop with "N" Wireless starts to loose connectivity. Websites are no longer able to be accessed, even trying to connect to the router (192.168.1.1) brings up a screen that it was unable to connect.  My "G" Wireless systems continue to operate without any problems (including my other laptop, Tivo, Wii and Xbox 360). Thought it might be problem with my "N" Wireless network card or something else with the laptop, but a reboot of the laptop doesn't fix anything. However, if I reboot the router the "N" Wireless picks right back up. Anyone have any similar issues, suggestions as to why or how to resolve this?

arod

Re: Loss of Connectivity for "N" Connections
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »

bob61,

On the laptop experiencing the issue, try to temporarily disable any windows firewalls and anti-virus softwares and try again.. Also the default IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1 unless you've changed this.

bob61

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

Not sure what firewall and anti-virus would resolve, I can connect, only find that I lose connectivity after extended period of time. Installed "N" card (DLINK) in desktop and it experiences same problem. Both of these worked fine under "G" router previously, never a loss of connectivity after extended period of time. It appears to be a problem only with the "N" side of the router as "G" connections still work fine.

And yes, I did change the default address on the router, had to due to conflict with XBox 360 wireless.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

Several firewalls and anti-virus systems need to be told to "trust" the wireless network SSID.  If not, these will force the network signals to shutdown, but still have the complete wireless signals.

Renegade Moose

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »

This is the only message I could find close to my issue.  Most of my devices use G and work fine.  My Xbox 360 uses N.  While it was configured and running G I had no issues.  Once I got the router configured properly for a wireless N signal I started having the same problem where the Xbox 360 can no longer see the wireless signal.  All my other devices running on G work fine.  Was this issue ever resolved?

Trikein

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »

Well if it cant access the gateway, I doabt its a AV issue. Is it seeing the network when you scan for it? If not, you might want to check the power management settings on the wireless NIC of the N connection. If it can see it, and can't connect, where error do you get when you try. Could be a DHCP issue.

Renegade Moose

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »

I think I may have found the solution off the Xbox Engineering Blog.  I have tried it and haven't had any issues all week.  I changed the Channel Width from "20/40MHz" to just "20MHz."  Since then I haven't had a single issue.

Trikein

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »

Yea, that makes sense, since only the N would possibly be using the 40Mhz width, and if the N stops broadcasting the router was probably reverting to priortize for the G. Nice find, kudos