• April 26, 2024, 10:45:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Direct connection with PC: Possible? HowTo? My problem  (Read 2571 times)

nencio

• Level 1 Member
Direct connection with PC: Possible? HowTo? My problem
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »

Hello everybody! I wouldlike to connect the NAS (fw now 1.02) directly to a PC with W7 Ultimate.
I want to try for 2 reasons:
1) I want to use the NAS for storing large video files to use on the PC connected to TV.
2) On my PC I have a Gigabit 1000 Ethernet card, which I suppose can give me higher transfer speeds than the Wireless router/modem that I normally use to go on internet (100mps).
To briefly explane: the wireless router works on the network with IP addresses 192.168.0.x sub 255.255.255.0.
I managed to configure the Gigabit Ethernet card and the NAS with different IP addresses (xxx.xxx.xxx.1 for the PC and xxx.xxx.xxx.2 for the NAS; subnet 255.255.0.0; no Gateway on both; no DNS on both). They are connected with a crossover cable. Tonight I will try also with a normal patch cable.
The problem: I can see the NAS using ESU and I can browse with IE to its IP address.... but ESU can't mount the volumes as drive X/Y/Z in Windows 7...
I can't see any problem in this network setup (except no Gateway and DNS, which should not be needed in this situation), but maybe you can!
Maybe the NAS was not really made to work on direct connection with the PC... if this the case, maybe a sw upgrade from Dlink could solve the problem?
Thank you for any possible consideration!!!

nencio

• Level 1 Member
Re: Direct connection with PC: Possible? HowTo? My problem
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »

Ok... I found the solution myself.
ESU could mount the volumes (the day I tried, the DNS-343 was probably busy doing something and did not allow it!).
After that, I found another problem: I was not able copying any file to the volumes on the NAS!!!  :-[
Ok.... I started looking on internet for problems related to connecting Windows to Linux based devices.
After 1 hour of searching, I found this page on the internet... and I followed their suggestion.
The page is this: www.sevenforums.com/.../3737-samba-network-share-issue-windows-7-a.html
EVERYTHING FINE NOW!!!  :P

Hope this helps somebody else with my problem too!  ;D