• March 28, 2024, 04:45:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installation is far from easy!  (Read 18196 times)

troetelturk

• Level 1 Member
Installation is far from easy!
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:23:46 AM »

I just bought the DCS-825L and it's been a real pain getting it up and running.
The manual sucks and the phone support desk in the Netherlands never picks up the phone.

Some things to share with you all to avoid (some of) the same problems.
I just started typing and I'm sure I will need to change the text afterwards.
But it's a start... Hope it will save you time.

The issues I faced when setting up the camera
- When setting up the camera, you'll need to change the password. Choose a password shorter than 9 characters (so max. 8 ) and without special symbols. I had a special symbol in it which doesn't work (but of course it doesn't tell you so.... it just stupidly accepts).
- The password of your WIFI LAN may not contain special characters! (RIDICULOUS). I had to change my WIFI password of my router because it contained a special character. It took me hours before I figured this out because the stupid app never even gives an error message or whatever.

The issues I faced after being able to connect the camera to my WIFI network
- Firmware update: After setup you'll need to login via mydlink.com. It will prompt you to upgrade your firmware (if applicable). I had to use Chrome, it didn't work via IE.
- E-mail notifications: I searched every menu in the iOS and Android Mydlink Baby Cam app to setup the e-mail notifications, but was unable to find anything. Nothing in the user manual (of course). Finally I figured it out. You need to login to Mydlink.com in order to set up e-mail notifications via the SETTINGS tab
- If you try to connect to the camera via your computer by using the IP address it will prompt for a username. The username is "admin". THIS IS MENTIONED NO WHERE in the manual. Took me half an hour as well to figure this out... The password is the password you create when you first set up the camera.

The issues I still face
- I can't figure out how to get push messages from the iOS and Android app when the app is running in the background. You don't get any alerts!!! Only if you have the app running in the "dashboard" view you'll get alerts (this also only worked for me in the Android app). This is really bad, because the product advertisements all mention push notifications (even a picture of an icon with a notification in iOS). This is not true!!
- The Mydlink Baby Cam apps are very very slow, both on iOS and Android.
- E-mail notifications can only be sent to 1 email address, which is the profile address. This sucks and can only be CHANGED, additional email addresses can not be added.
- Mydlink.com is very very slow and takes ages to load. Once loaded, changing tabs means loading all over again... sometimes up to 10 minutes.

I hope someone from D-link will read this post and start improving things..............

Happy year end,

A very frustrated user  ??? :'(

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
Re: Installation is far from easy!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »

I agree with everything you state, I am in the same situation as you. Message saying much notice in the background and it's all a lie, at least after the last upgrade of the application for android sound is not cut, because before the application were dating and you had no notifications or sound in the background.

I think the camera can do much more with good apliciones and good support, he has not either an embedded web server? So they could have more control over the camera and not rely on mydlink.com to arrive or not the notification emails. Say if you have web server but when accessing the IP of the camera the following message: "File not found".

I have an open case in Dlink notifications so as I feel CHEATED by dlink. I hope someone from Dlink read this and do something.

Regards,

igoramadas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

I contacted their support and they said a future firmware update will fix some issues and enable the web interface. The bad part? There's no schedule / deadline so all we can do is wait (or return the camera within 30 days).

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:16:35 AM »

What firmware build comes preloaded on your DCS-825L?
There is a firmware v1.01 posted here: DCS-825L - Firmware version 1.01b3327 - Comments & Observations
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:23:52 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »

What firmware build comes preloaded on your DCS-825L?
There is a firmware v1.01 posted here: DCS-825L - Firmware version 1.01b3327 - Comments & Observations

As the firmware is installed? mydlink.com jumps from the automatic update of firmware

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »

As the firmware is installed? mydlink.com jumps from the automatic update of firmware

Can you log into the DCS-825L web UI login if you enter the camera IP address from a PC on the same LAN as the camera?

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »

Can you log into the DCS-825L web UI login if you enter the camera IP address from a PC on the same LAN as the camera?

No, if I put the ip of the camera in the browser gives a 404 error

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »

I can't find much on this product in the way of a user manual other than the Quick Start Guide which is rather brief as far as details are concerned. The support site offers the FW for download, which implies there is a means of uploading to the camera.

There's no advanced configuration/settings page on mydlink that indicates the currently installed FW?

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

I can't find much on this product in the way of a user manual other than the Quick Start Guide which is rather brief as far as details are concerned. The support site offers the FW for download, which implies there is a means of uploading to the camera.

There's no advanced configuration/settings page on mydlink that indicates the currently installed FW?

From the mobile app mydlink baby I see I have this version of firmware installed which was installed about two weeks ago from mydlink.com, believed it was a new version fixing bugs

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 06:56:07 AM »

So firmware is automatically pushed to the camera? Is there an option to proactively  install specific firmware from a local source?

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »

No, after the camera record in mydlink.com enter this site and I update it from there

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »

Two questions:

(1) You mentioned that FW was installed ~2 weeks ago.  Was that FW automatically updated or did you update the firmware manually?

(2) Not clear on your last reply as well. . . Do you have an option to manually select a local FW source (e.g. local PC hard drive) to upload firmware from?

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »

NO! Manually can not access the camera or via web or telnet or ssh only through the website www.mydlink.com.
Approximately two weeks ago in www.mydlink.com to check that the camera looked through the web and I showed up a pop-up with a new version of firmware to update. WHOLE PROCESS WAS MADE THROUGH WWW.MYDLINK.COM

You understand now? If there is possible way to locally access the camera as I do not know, but it's not like traditional dlink cameras.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »

Thanks. . . .
This is certainly a departure from other D-Link network cameras.  I'll remove the download links to avoid confusion with other camera owners.  ???  :-\  ???

luyggy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »

Yes! be better since the camera has no settings via website. I think I read that it will have a future firmware
Pages: [1] 2