• April 23, 2024, 03:22:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Alternate viewing of net camera with Linux/firefox  (Read 4005 times)

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
Alternate viewing of net camera with Linux/firefox
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »

Hi,
Please see the thread:  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ebt54purce4e3tqr41m4c8v7d3&topic=62934.0  for background.  Since it appears (according to furrynutz comments", I found an alternate means of checking my dcs932l network camera from outside the local lan.  I first signed up to a free dynamic dns server.  Many are offered; I used the free afraid.com service.  I then port forwarded my router to the camera's IP address.  I also set the camera's IP address to a static (fixed) IP address, rather than dhcp method which is the default.  I did not change anything else, but did a "save settings", and then logged out of the cameras setup page.  Using the domain/subdomain address obtained from afraid.com, along with the hash, I added this to the router so as to enable it to supply any new IP address to the afraid.com site. 

It works remarkably well...I checked the image on the IP camera from a coffee shop free wifi location.  It camera came up very quickly...an order of magnitude faster than mydlink.com.  To be fair, other than a few disconnection issues caused when mydlink.com changed the requirements for camera firmware, and I was 2000 miles away at the time; and now when dlink quit supporting operating systems other than Mac and Windows, I was fairly satisfied.  Now I am really happy.  I do not have to depend on dlink to keep me connected.  Note that at the time I purchaced the 932L, the only requirement was that I needed a current firefox browser, and indeed that was the case for about 2 years.  However, times and company policies change.  I hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Bob

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Alternate viewing of net camera with Linux/firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »

If you're not using https:// your password was very unprotected at a coffee shop if their network was unencrypted(no password required).

So you logged into the cameras f/w is what you're saying?

You are ready to try ipcam viewer basic and light from the app store on your phone.

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
Re: Alternate viewing of net camera with Linux/firefox
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »

No, I set up a user account (as opposed to the admin (root) account).  I only administer the camera and the router from the local lan, and use the user account to view the camera. 

My whole intent with this exercise was to provide a replacement for the mydlink.com service.  I was reasonably happy with it until they decided that only windows OS could be used with their service.  To eliminate mydlink.com from the equation, I had to do port forwarding on my router to the camera IP, and to make sure that the port forward IP address would "stick" I made the camera address static.  To be clear, no other software other than any webbrowser is needed.  I did try the software you mention a couple of years ago, and recall not liking it overly much.  The most difficult part for me was getting the "afraid.com" dns forwarder properly configured.  Almost no documentation, and what was there was not well written.  I think I got the most info from a site run by Steve Jenkins. 

However, all that said I really wish that dlink would step up to the plate and again provide the service they advertised, and that caused me to buy their camera in the first place. 

Regards,
Bob

Edit...No I don't have a data fone, so there is no "app" for me.  and further...it is afraid.org rather than afraid.com...sorry.
B
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:12:36 PM by robert-e »