• April 24, 2024, 12:49:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.13" for D-Link NAS  (Read 21174 times)

andsoitgoes

• Level 1 Member
Re: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.13" for D-Link NAS
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »

Plex is restrictive. If you notice it's using apples native player, which allows for a lot more flexibility.

But the comment about direct play is answered in what you posted, the LATEST Plex server version, the one currently available for the 320L is .13, you need .19.

This will all be moot shortly, to be fair. Infuse is on the cusp of coming out and has far better organization, full metadata lookup and so on. It's a full streaming media solution compared to any of the current players, and it has the ability to be a lot more flexible with lookups than Plex.

All and all it ends up not requiring ANY server running. Just make sure your main drives are shared and infuse allows you to create favorites.

That said, Plex is still a good solution for channels, which honestly can't be beat. It's the only way to watch certain online programs, and is really awesome.

Thankfully we have vtverdohleb that is able to make it happen, and we cannot thank you enough.
Many thanks for all your comments and inputs.
I have tried video explorer and I can access the plex server on the 320L and play all types of files (mkv, AVI, etc) , what proves that the Apple TV is able to play them without the need of transcoding.
As a matter of fact, the latest update for the plex server has a one of the main features to improve direct play on the Apple TV :

Version 0.9.12.19.1537
Improvements

Improved subtitle handling on Apple TV
Improved Direct Play support on Apple TV

This would solve all the problems, as on the one hand we get the nice features of Plex and on the other hand we avoid transcoding, which has a loss in quality, even if the 320L could handle it (which can't).

Video explorer and the other video apps have a very poor organization and presentation systems.

I'm ready to donate to vtverdohleb together with other users interested in the new update.

There is still one thing I don't quite get yet: when I try to play videos from the plex server on my computer I get the message "your server doesnt have the power to transcode", why doesn't play it directly?, the computer can sure take any encoding. Is it a problem with the web player? are there any apps to play the files directly from the plex server?

Thanks again, cheers

josu

• Level 2 Member
new release 1.10 news?
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 05:30:59 AM »

I have seen 1.10 release ... which news?
btw I plan to autogift to me a new dns server to replace 320L.. vertv which do you suggest to me? if osible with transcoding

felobo

• Level 1 Member
Re: Add-on "PlexMedia Server v0.9.12.13" for D-Link NAS
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 04:37:45 AM »

Plex is restrictive. If you notice it's using apples native player, which allows for a lot more flexibility.

But the comment about direct play is answered in what you posted, the LATEST Plex server version, the one currently available for the 320L is .13, you need .19.

This will all be moot shortly, to be fair. Infuse is on the cusp of coming out and has far better organization, full metadata lookup and so on. It's a full streaming media solution compared to any of the current players, and it has the ability to be a lot more flexible with lookups than Plex.

All and all it ends up not requiring ANY server running. Just make sure your main drives are shared and infuse allows you to create favorites.

That said, Plex is still a good solution for channels, which honestly can't be beat. It's the only way to watch certain online programs, and is really awesome.

Thankfully we have vtverdohleb that is able to make it happen, and we cannot thank you enough.

Infuse is finally out, I've been trying it for a few days and can play just anything without the need of a server running, I have the 320L as file storing device but I can even use a hard drive connected to the router with the same results. Comparing the two I would say that:
Plex:
+ Better browsing of movies and shows; abstracting from file system.
– Since mi 320L Plex version is not compatible (yet) with the AppleTV I have to keep a mac book running as a server.
+ Completely free, including AC3 passthrough.
+ Can delete files from the server using the client.

Infuse:
– Manual browsing through folders.
+ I can connect HDD to my router directly and ditch a server.
– Can’t watch anything with AC3 without paying.
– Looks like there’s no option to delete files.

It would be nice,though, to have a version of Plex for the 320L compatible with Apple TV, I guess that Infuse will improve over time, but right now I prefer Plex.
vtverdohleb, are you planning on releasing a 320L plex compatible add on in the near future??
thanks in advance for your efforts
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:34:59 PM by felobo »
Pages: 1 2 [3]