• April 18, 2024, 09:34:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: RFE: setting interface description on DGS-1210-16  (Read 11795 times)

cbueche

• Level 1 Member
RFE: setting interface description on DGS-1210-16
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »

Hi,

I have a DGS-1210-16 switch. I bought it for its SNMP capabilities. I cannot set the interface descriptions for the ethernet ports. There is nothing in the CLI, nothing on the web GUI and even snmpset does not work :

snmpset -c private -v 2c switch IF-MIB::ifAlias.1 s "echo 12"
Error in packet.
Reason: inconsistentValue (The set value is illegal or unsupported in some way)
Failed object: IF-MIB::ifAlias.1

snmpset -c private -v 2c switch IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 s "echo 12"
Error in packet.
Reason: notWritable (That object does not support modification)
Failed object: IF-MIB::ifDescr.1

snmpset -c private -v 2c switch IF-MIB::ifName.1  s "echo 12"
Error in packet.
Reason: notWritable (That object does not support modification)
Failed object: IF-MIB::ifName.1

Is there a chance to get this simple feature in a next firmware release ? IMHO simple to implement, and very important to be able to differentiate the ports in a SNMP management tool like Zenoss.

Thanks to pass this request enhancement to the dev-team.
Charles

Igoras

• Level 1 Member
Re: RFE: setting interface description on DGS-1210-16
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »

Hi,

I was trying the same solution and come to the same error, then after googling, I've found this topic (with no reply for half a year :( ).

I have DGS-1210-24, but result is the same - snmpset -c private -v 2c switch IF-MIB::ifAlias.1 s "test" returns Reason: inconsistentValue.

Well, it seem to be an issue in SMTP settings/data on the switch side and it relates to port 1 setting only. I can easily setup description for the ports 2-24, with only exception that you can't set the same description to 2 ports at the same time, but port 1 always return the same error.

Anyway it's a bit weird to get/set port description via snmp only, why it can't be done via WebUI?

I hope someone reads this forum and provide the fix soon.

Regards,
Igor.

aseques

• Level 1 Member
Re: RFE: setting interface description on DGS-1210-16
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:39:18 AM »

Same here, I am working with the current release (4-10-23) for a DGS-1210-24 that is dated from 2/18/14 and the results are the same. No option to configure the descriptions from interface :(