• April 24, 2024, 11:17:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What's the optimal speed to expect from the DNS-343?  (Read 4082 times)

Reicros

• Level 1 Member
What's the optimal speed to expect from the DNS-343?
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »

Hi everyone,

It's been roughly 2 years that I make do with 10Mb/sec transfer rate average.  Transfering large amount of data (TBs) takes days and my patience becomes a problem  >:(

My setup on both DNS-343 are the same and goes as follow:

- 4 * Seagate Model ST2000DL003SATA 6Gb/s 2TB 64MB http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st2000dl003-bcuda-green-sata-6gb-2tb-hd&vgnextoid=add6439d45c0b210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US

- Cisco SG 100D-08 100 Series 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6278793&CatId=5550

- Raid5 Array (Ext3 if my memory serves me well)

- Jumbo frames enabled and set at 7k (my low-end PC NIC doesn't support more than 7k, the Cisco switch support 9k) because I wanted to have all the network Gb wired PCs at the same MTU as widely recommended

- LAN speed (settings) set at "Auto", and "Speed" shows 1000 Mbps

- One of the 2 NAS uses Firmware 1.05b and the other one 1.04

- All "optional" services are disabled (FTP, iTunes, uPnP AV, DHCP, even NFS server)

- All computers are running Windows 7 64 bits Enterprise Edition (NFS client enabled)

I did the following tests to figure how to speed up the transfer rates:

- Tried with and without Jumbo frames
- Tried Both SMB and NFS protocol (SMB is a little bit faster on my environment, nothing major 1-2 Mb/sec at most)
- Tried to force 1000Mbps instead of auto in the LAN settings
- Tried to install the 4 HDDs into one of my PC (motherboard specs: http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5K_DeluxeWiFiAP/#specifications), created an RAID 5 array using the SATA300 onboard raid controller and could easily get 80 Mb/sec "read", and 60Mb/sec "write" transfer rates.   I concluded that the HDD, even if desktop grade and low spindle models, aren't the bottleneck...

Nothing seems to improve my transfer rate  :'(

From NAS to NAS, I never had more than 10Mb/sec.  From NAS to PC (using an SSD hard drive as the target), the transfer rate went up to 30Mb/sec.

Anyone have any idea if I'm at the optimal NAS performance considering my Array/Filesystem configuration  ???

Thanks in advance.

Regards

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: What's the optimal speed to expect from the DNS-343?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »

I can only speak for myself and what I've read from other users. I personally maintain an average throughput of approximately 10-15 Mbps, which falls within the normal range of where users reported throughput in this forum.  My two DNS-343s are configured as Standard Volumes. RAID 5 should, in theory, perform more poorly than Standard Volumes due to the overhead of maintaining parity data.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

kenfong

• Level 1 Member
Re: What's the optimal speed to expect from the DNS-343?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »

I had my 343 for a year now, I tested the unit before choosing JOBD instead of RAID 5. Here is my findings:

(1) In RAID 5 transfer rate is about 10 MB/s with jumbo frame enable.
(2) I had to use a dedicate gigabit switch instead of using the ports of my gigabit router. My PCs are also wired into the switch to get better result. My router must have bandwidth allocation per port.
(3) Disable UPNP AV Server, FTP Server, DHCP Server. They managed to slow thing down.
(4) The best transfer rate I get is 27MB/s in JOBD