• March 28, 2024, 09:35:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS crashed - red light - can only format the HDD's  (Read 2764 times)

Nevs88

• Level 1 Member
DNS crashed - red light - can only format the HDD's
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:13:48 AM »

Hi

Big Problem. Yesterday my DNS-323 shows one red light on the front (left HDD) ... so I restarted the device. Boot was normal but when I enter the web-interface the RAID 0 configuration is gone and i can only format the HDD's into a new RAID 0,1, ...
Is there any possibility to restore my data? I'm using the 1.08 firmware, 2x2TB WD Caviar Green and a Mac OS X 10.7.2 MacBookPro.

I need help, because all my backups, music, videos, ... are on the disks.

Thank You!

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS crashed - red light - can only format the HDD's
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:26 AM »

About now you should be asking yourself why you didn't make a backup of your data.  Putting data on a NAS is not a backup if that is the place you have it.

From the manual we have:

RAID 0 provides data striping, which spreads
out blocks of data over both drives, but does
not provide data redundancy.

Although performance is improved, the lack of
fault tolerance means that if one drive fails, all
data in the array will be lost.

Note the last paragraph. 

From your description it sounds as if one of your drives failed and being RAID 0 you have most probably lost everything.  If you had used RAID 1 you would have been given the option of rebuilding the RAID array.

You MIGHT be able to recover some of your data by putting the good drive SATA/USB adapter and trying to read it from your computer assuming you understand data structures and can copy what is there in some readable form but don't bank on being able to do so.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

If he does in fact have a failed drive, the chances of getting data back are not very good - a RAID0 system stripes the data across the two disks in such a fashion that half of each file is on each of the disks.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »

Thanks for that clarification fordem.  The time we used RAID 0 and had disk problems we found that changing to RAID 1 and restoring from backup was the only way to get up and running again.

My use of 'might' was on the assumption that some small files might have enough information recoverable to allow possible reconstruction of the missing part.