• March 29, 2024, 06:42:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DPH-50U Kills System Performance  (Read 13426 times)

lesneskp

• Level 1 Member
DPH-50U Kills System Performance
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »

I just installed my new DPH-50U and have found that whenever it is attached to my system, CPU usage is through the roof.  It makes the system 90% unusable -- even Skype calls are dropped because Skype can't get enough CPU cycles to keep its connection alive.

Task manager shows applications that are usually otherwise at around 5% to be using 50%, 60% and up.  When I pull the USB cable from the device, everything returns to normal. 

I downloaded the latest drivers from the Dlink site, uninstalled and reinstalled the device and software, but the problem persists.  This device kills my system - even when it's idle - it merely has to be connected to my system (therefore I suspect the drivers to be of poor quality; I also have experienced the application software having the failures described in http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4461.0 ). 

I am more or less a power user and have plenty of experience using other USB devices, etc., and keep my system fairly clean.  No device has ever done this to my system.

I can't use this product unless Dlink produces some quality drivers or provides some other fix.

murph

• Level 1 Member
Re: DPH-50U Kills System Performance
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:21 PM »

I have to agree with lesneskp !

The performance eating driver, monitor, or whatever...as soon as I installed it my CPU is at 100%
steady. I know it is the DLINK VoIP as it is all I have installed. you really need to do something and
issue new drivers of WinXP Pro (and Vista Business) as this is unacceptable.
Murph

FloridaPhil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »

Me too.

I have been experiencing the phantom CPU usage drain as well - no process is mentioned on the task manager but something is running that is sapping system resources.  Turns out its the DPH-50U driver.

I just did a clean install of XP and my system was humming along just great at around 2% processor usage at idle.  I added the driver and BAM, processor jumps to 28-32% at IDLE!!!!   Reverting to the restore point prior to the addition of the driver puts verything back to normal again.

I have run the US Robotics driver and some Australian driver that was mentioned on this board but they did the same thing.

I did not have this problem until I installed SP3 so there is something in there the driver does not like.

So what about it D-Link?  I really like this little device but can't use it with your supplied driver. Can we expect a fix or not? Just let us know so we can go get another device if you have no plans to fix this one.

Phil

somedude1234

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

I can confirm these claims.  My system is a Dell Latitude D620, Core2Duo processor.  Any time the DPH-50U is connected to the system (and the driver is installed), my CPU usage is a constant 30%.

I used Sysinternals process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) to isolate the source of the CPU usage to a DLL file that is part of the DPH-50U driver package.  It looks like this DLL is CONSTANTLY generating CPU interrupts.  Likely this is an extremely badly designed piece of software that simply polls the device hundreds of times per second, even when you are not on a call.

Given that this device went end of life in August of 2009, I don't expect any help from D-Link (not that they ever offered any help with this device prior to 8/09).

FYI to anyone else who has been fighting with this device: The same device is OEM'd by D-Link, US Robotics, Atcom, and perhaps a few other companies.  The actual chip maker has no end user facing presence whatsoever.  This is why ALL of the drivers have the same problems, because they come from the exact same source (the original chip maker).  The different OEMs seem to offer different levels of release of the original source driver, but they are all problematic in one way or another.

Too bad nobody seems to make a USB to RJ11 adapter for Skype that "just works".

tricky

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »

WIndows 7
Dph-50U   running along with lots of other stuff, I'm showing 0-3%

I dont remember a problem on XP either.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that Skype  loses it sound settings on boot up