• March 28, 2024, 04:59:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player not seeing DNS-323 UPNP AV Server  (Read 14127 times)

Orbitz

• Level 1 Member
Windows Media Player not seeing DNS-323 UPNP AV Server
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:42:16 AM »

I have both the UPNP and iTunes servers enabled and configured to point to:

Volume_2/Media Content

With the obligitory Music, Pictures and Videos directories underneath.

iTunes sees the Shared DNS-323, so all is well here.

However, the Windows Media Player under Vista and Windows 7 does not see the DNS-323 UPNP AV Server.

I have the DNS-323 firmware version 1.06 loaded.

Any ideas?

Dave

Lichbane

• Level 1 Member
Re: Windows Media Player not seeing DNS-323 UPNP AV Server
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

I have this problem too.  I'd be interested to know if there is a fix.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »

On WinXP ... Windows Media Player (WMP) UPnP client is not supported.  Here's a few references that imply that UPnP is possible with WMP on Vista ... problem is the support of varying formats will be very limited.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP_with_Windows_Media_Player
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers#UPnP_control_point_hardware

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:49:21 PM by hilaireg »

chris_cesar

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »

Try disable Windows Firewall as well as the AV if that makes difference. If not they have the latest firmware version.

fogjuice

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

Is this problem still not solved? I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and I still cannot connect my Windows Media Player to my 323 UPnP AV server...

fab4272

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »

Is this problem still not solved? I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and I still cannot connect my Windows Media Player to my 323 UPnP AV server...
It won't.  Return it if you can.  Even though on the box it says "Can connect to DLNA/UPnP devices such as PS3, XBOX...", etc etc it does not mention Win7.  

I have an email from a DLINK support staff saying that since the statement does not mention Win7, they are within their rights not to accept returns.  I find this false advertising, as they should have stated that it only exclusivly stated it was for those devices only.  SUCH AS is a cop out.  Win7 HAS DLNA/UPnP built in, so the SUCH AS still fits.  It also happens to be the most prevailant OS on the planet.

Anyway, I brought mine back and got the ReadyNAS Duo, which ON THE BOX STATES IT SUPPORTS DLNA/UPnP for WIN7.  If I was you and wanted DLNA get that.  If you don't, then the DNS-323 is fine as a file server.

DLINK, get your act together and properly advertise what this product is capable of.

My 2 cent rat.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:39:15 AM »

That's a bit strange - I just booted up WMP and I can see my UPnP AV share on Windows 7. One thing I notice in the 323's web interface is an option to rebuild the AV stuff - it took quite a while to index the files. Have you tried doing that?

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

Yep its there alright... but have you TRIED to access it via the Library... ?

I can play files fine from the DNS-323 is I go tru Explorer and double click on the file...

But doing it via the UPnP player does not work... and It's a confirmed bug by D-Link, they says it should be resolved in next update

maskie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »

I did a check on the packets sent between WMP12 and the DNS 323.

It seems that the Windows Media Player is sending requests in a UPnP 1.0 format while the DNS 323 is a UPnP 1.1 server.

Not sure what Microsoft is doing here, the UPnP 1.1 format was in place since fall 2008.

AC3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »

Same problem here...wmp12 library / play to not letting me access my 323's UPnP...giving me the "blah blah blah unable to connect contact your device manufacturer"...but no probs going through explorer.

The funny thing is that I've also got an ethernet link to my Onkyo NR-807 a/v receiver....which is documented to 'only support certified DLNA devices'  - but it is functioning 100% fine with the 323's UPnP over my lan. Not complaining about that, but it would really be nice if I could use win7/wmp12's library on my pc or netbook to play through to the receiver....since I'm running multiple audio zones on the a/v, would really be nice to control the tracks / playlists on the fly from a different house location.
So maybe Maskie is right...antiquated UPnP requests?   

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »

DLink? Any update on this issue? As Windows 7 is becoming the de facto standard MS OS, it would be nice if this issue could be fixed soon. Thank you!

fab4272

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »

DLink? Any update on this issue? As Windows 7 is becoming the de facto standard MS OS, it would be nice if this issue could be fixed soon. Thank you!

I would go further and state the de facto standard OS, not just MS.

MrBOFH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:31 AM »

I would go further and state the de facto standard OS, not just MS.

I believe that is going to far. On home PC's, yes, Win7 is becoming the de facto standard. Mostly due to the fact you can't buy a home use PC without it these days. However, a large majority of business PC's still run XP-Professional and most likely will until MS drops support for it. And don't forget the Mac contingent out there. Or those of us who run a Unix variety on our computers.

I stand by my statement of it becming the de facto MS OS.