• March 28, 2024, 07:46:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows 7 media center as server for D-Link DSM-520 (8-digit setup key?)  (Read 10053 times)

kllhouston

• Level 1 Member

I am running Win7 and can see my DSM-520 using the D-link media server software but I want to use Windows Media Center as my server. I cannot get Windows Media Center to recognize my DSM-520 as a media extender.  It asks me to find an 8-digit setup key displayed on my extender when selecting Media Center on the extender.  I do not see Windows Media Center on the DSM-520 server list.  How do I get the 8-digit key? My computer and the DSM-520 are seeing each other as evidence that the D-link software sees it and I can play my music library no problems.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member

I am running Windows 7 also but I don't remember a set-up key.  When I first set up the Windows 7 network I created a home group which had a password but that was 10 digits I think, and I don't think I was ever asked for it anyway.

If you go into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options do you see your media player listed?  There is a useful article on the basic WMP setup at http://www.dlink.com/support/faqDetail/?prod_id=3483.

kllhouston

• Level 1 Member

I am running Windows 7 also but I don't remember a set-up key.  When I first set up the Windows 7 network I created a home group which had a password but that was 10 digits I think, and I don't think I was ever asked for it anyway.

If you go into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options do you see your media player listed?  There is a useful article on the basic WMP setup at http://www.dlink.com/support/faqDetail/?prod_id=3483.

What you described is for setting up Windows Media Player, not Windows Media Center... different programs.  I have WMP working fine, it is WMC that isn't working.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

The DSM-520 is not a Windows Media Center extender. The DSM-750 is a certified Windows Media Center extender.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream